Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was sitting here at home with my left eye patched up from surgery. Couldn't go to the gunshow, dr's orders. Could still shoot with the right eye. So, I decided to check the zero on a couple of rifles that woulld most likely see service if I got the crazy idea that I could see well enough to hunt. And I had one other semi auto I needed to check with different ammo than it was zeroed with 2 years ago. Sorry, no Rugers yet. Next week maybe.

First 2 are Remmy 799s. One black synth. I got 2 years ago and zeroed preety well. The other a walnut and blue ADL. Both in .243. The synth has a 3x9x40 and the walnut and blue a 3X9X32. Got the wood & blue one in the summer used cause some guy couldn't zero it with a new scope. Problem was obvious. A 40mm front objective with low rings = scope hitting the barrel. Even a blind guy like me could see that one. Just slapped a 32 mm front end scope on it and half azz zeroed it with my favorite handload of Hornady 87 gr. BTHP, CCI large rifle primer, Rem case and just enough IMR 4831 to get @ 3100 FPS estimated. No smokin; load, but accurate in most rifles I have shot it in. The Synth 700 loved it.'

Rotaing the 2 rigles and the semi auto, one shot each at different marks to keep barrels at cool bore. Wndless day, 85 degrees, sun from behing, benched, using my wife's towels for sandbags. Not a good thing, but she didn't know. 100 yds. Bothhad been set at @ 1" high from POA before with the same handload. So I will see if they are still there.

First up was the Synth 700. It had really liked this load before. and it showed the same thing again. Only fired 2 rounds. Good enough. Onlyhave 40 rounds of this handload/bullet combo left.

The one inch marks are on a standard Pancho El Cheapo, 15" pizza box target. Marks for the bolt guns are 1" and the semi auto 2." the Synth. 700 did 2 rounds, @ a half inch. Same as before. Could use a click or 2 right, but it is good enough for now.Right on for elevation over POA.

Second up, the nice Wood/blue 700. Same load. It did a 1" spread for 2 shots. Good enough. I had only fired it 3 times before to zero.. It may have shifted a bit higher. It was @ 1 1/2" high from POA. Haven't worked much with it yet, but it has great potential. Good enough for hunting.

The target for the wood/blue gun. An inch spread is o.k. The Synth did better, but the wood guns can shift a bit with temp, humidity etc. Scope isn't as good either. This one wears a Smmions and the Synth a Nikon.

Then the semi auto rifle, an H&K clone, Fed Arms built froma G3 kit on a U.S receiver. Had to put a 3X9X40 on it cause I can't see though the peeper anymore. Sighted this one in with Rem. 150 gr. FMJs 2 years ago. I only had 2 boxes and then the ammo shortagehit. Finally found some Wally World Tula steel case stuff and bought 5 boxes of 150 gr. to see if it was close enough to plink with or punch paper or SHTF. The Remmy stuff is a buck a pop. The Tula is only 50 cents, but that is still kinda stiff.

Considering the trigger group on tthis gun is a selective G3 converted to semi-auto and the unknown round count on the barrel, it did o.k. with the Tula ammo. Could use some t hte right, but he Rem 150s were right on. So, I will probably just leave it there. Works for me. Spread was 3" and teh Rem ammo did half that.

Enough for now. Got a Ruger M77 and another Remmy 700 in .270 to do, but later. Most likely will not be used anyway. Kinda overkill around here. Might just check them anyway. they ain't been fired in 5 years.

Anyone else checking their guns yet?

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
If the wife and docs will let ya....looks like your ready to go huntin..

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the wife and docs will let ya....looks like your ready to go huntin..

Jim
It's easy to shoot paper cause I can see the reticle on the paper. I can't see the animals in a brshy background. Same for the scope. When I turn the reticle on the brush or an animal etc, I can't see the reticle. Thought about having a buddy paint one of his deer white for me.:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts