Your favorite sign of spring in your area?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Heater, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Heater

Heater New Member

Last year on this date up here in da Nort' Woods, the ground was bare, the crocus were blooming, garden was emerging, and the temp was in the 70s. Today, we have 20 inches of snow on the ground, wind chill was in the minus territory, and the only green that has emerged was in the bars for St. Patrick's Day.

So, as I dream of spring, I started trying to think of what I most appreciate about spring here in the forested north. One thing would be that special moment when you realize that the lakes are open again, an event we call "ice out." It usually sneaks up, with the ice cover getting thinner and thinner, but hanging on through each cold night. Then, usually over a night with a warm south wind, a morning dawns and you can see the sky reflected in each of the 1,200-plus lakes in our county.

2. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

When my Japanese magnolias start to bloom I know Spring is coming.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Everything is dead around here, south Texas, even the prickly pear. The drought continues. Only thing that is kinda green is the mesquite tees and they get out of control. I started clearing fences of them this morning. Nothing kills them except poison. I would really like to see some spring flowers here again.

4. justin626

justin626 New Member

I know spring is coming when my ditch overflows across my driveway because the culvert is still froze. Not my fav but at least I know it's coming.

5. tater

tater New Member

Whistle pigs

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

The Redbuds and Dogwoods in bloom ,

Bee-u-tee-full.

About 2-3 weeks from now.

Jim

7. Will

Will New Member

Found a big red wasp in my house today. He's not there anymore. :cool:

8. krss144

krss144 New Member

When the temp outside is 12 degrees in March...we have another month or so of winter. Signs of spring is when the frost laws are on for trucks lol and the orange barrows come out on the highways lol

9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Spring means SUMMER is coming,I hate hot weather.I like the coming of Fall.:D

10. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Wild Flowers. I never thought much of them till I had a daughter. Now we go flower picking and I love it.

11. dos0711

dos0711 Ruger Lover

Here's your sign...

[​IMG]

12. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

When bikinis start showing up everywhere! ;)

13. LCR

LCR New Member

When the motorcycles start going by. It was only 35 last weekend but I had to get mine out and get the feel of her after the fancy port work!

14. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

I know spring is here when the skeeters shed their earmuffs.

15. uniongap

uniongap New Member

cottonwood trees start to bloom

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

When Philadelphia expects three inches of snow 4 days after the start of spring...

17. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

We've been getting a good amount of rain. It's also been fluctuating in temperature pretty bad. One day it's 94, the next in the sixties.

18. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

So much for Spring.
    Below freezing the last 2 nights and got my Japanese Magnolias. :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Redbud trees and Azaleas coming to life. The Azalea festival in Muskogee, OK is in April. Always beautiful.

20. Heater

Heater New Member

We still have 20" of snow on the ground, but the days have been just warm enough to make it icy, but not disappear. We may crack 40 by weeks end...maybe, then another drop into the 30s with snow in the forecast. So, still looking for a real sign of spring up here.