Ruger Talk Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year on this date up here in da Nort' Woods, the ground was bare, the crocus were blooming, garden was emerging, and the temp was in the 70s. Today, we have 20 inches of snow on the ground, wind chill was in the minus territory, and the only green that has emerged was in the bars for St. Patrick's Day.

So, as I dream of spring, I started trying to think of what I most appreciate about spring here in the forested north. One thing would be that special moment when you realize that the lakes are open again, an event we call "ice out." It usually sneaks up, with the ice cover getting thinner and thinner, but hanging on through each cold night. Then, usually over a night with a warm south wind, a morning dawns and you can see the sky reflected in each of the 1,200-plus lakes in our county.

·
Special Dance Instructor
924 Posts
When my Japanese magnolias start to bloom I know Spring is coming.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Everything is dead around here, south Texas, even the prickly pear. The drought continues. Only thing that is kinda green is the mesquite tees and they get out of control. I started clearing fences of them this morning. Nothing kills them except poison. I would really like to see some spring flowers here again.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I know spring is coming when my ditch overflows across my driveway because the culvert is still froze. Not my fav but at least I know it's coming.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
The Redbuds and Dogwoods in bloom ,

Bee-u-tee-full.

About 2-3 weeks from now.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
When the temp outside is 12 degrees in March...we have another month or so of winter. Signs of spring is when the frost laws are on for trucks lol and the orange barrows come out on the highways lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
When the motorcycles start going by. It was only 35 last weekend but I had to get mine out and get the feel of her after the fancy port work!

·
Registered
298 Posts
cottonwood trees start to bloom

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We still have 20" of snow on the ground, but the days have been just warm enough to make it icy, but not disappear. We may crack 40 by weeks end...maybe, then another drop into the 30s with snow in the forecast. So, still looking for a real sign of spring up here.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts