Yep, another'n

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by VThillman, Aug 27, 2015.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

The Chiappa/Taylors 1892 I had for sale at the LGS sold day before yesterday, freeing funds for buying another Ruger revolver. I have been having a problem running lead bullets in my .45 Witness semiauto; the bigger diameter is just enough, combined with varying wall thickness in range brass, to make some rounds just too snug in the chamber to go into battery without help. I have over 400 lead bullets on hand.

The convertible Blackhawk I ordered should allow me to use the lead bullets in it, and still run the jacketed bullets in the Witness. I own a '70s era .357 Blackhawk, that I like a lot. Not sure about the .45LC cartridge though. The factory rounds are expensive, I don't have brass or really suitable bullets on hand, and is the .45LC different enough from the .44 Magnum/.44 Special to, ah, be different?

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I had two guns that required expensive ammo. The key word is HAD.

3. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I would say, that once you got a bag of brass (and some dies) your ammo cost should be low. Go ahead and shoot 'em up! My experience with the LC is that it's mild in factory loads but a big bullet so still has some thump. Probably can do anything you'd ever want a revolver to do. I kinda wish I had one but to keep things simple I just stick with my 9mm.

4. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

One of the sweetest guns I have had the pleasure of shooting was a S&W 25 45LC . The owner rarely shoots it though I think he said it was his second favorite.

The cost of the ammo is just too prohibitive. If I remember he said that once shipping was included, it was $40+ a box.

44 mag target ammo was 25 last time I got it at reg price. I was fortunate to get a whole stack of ammo at great price from a guy that just sold his 44, even if I did drive about 100 miles one way to get it.

Doc

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I don't question the utility/versatility of the cartridge, it's the fact that I have two .44 Magnum revolvers that use a cartridge that has near identical utility/versatility. Plus, the newer New Model Blackhawk is pretty light (aluminum grip frame) to be shooting hot loads and heavy bullets in - I have enough problems with those as is.

6. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

So far, this Blackhawk .45 has been an - experience. It seems that Ruger made some design/engineering decisions that I would have gone another way on. When (if) I resolve a couple more issues, I will post a detailed summary.

7. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

My friend had a 45LC Ruger Blackhawk. And I swear if you were behind him while shooting in the right light you could see that big ole hunk a lead take off.

8. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

VT,
    No fair, you're not supposed to leave us hanging by saying design decisions without explaining.
    I thought new Blackhawks were the same as our old 70's Blackhawks. Now I neeeed to know what's up with that thing! LOL
    Makes me wonder if the .45 ACP cylinder is working like it should.

I had a .357/9mm convertible that would 'nip' off a little piece of the case mouth when shooting nines.
    It was so sensitive about .357 ammo accuracy that I traded it away and told the guy to contact Ruger if he wanted to shoot 9's.
    Of course now I wish I had it cause 9mm ammo is most always available and cheap.
    I've been considering checking into a 9mm cyl for my current .357 Blackhawk.

Hey Ernesto, when shooting jacketed flat base .44 mag loads I could see the bullet base when it stopped in the berm about 50 yd's away.
    You have to look fast before the dirt falls back over it and the sun has to be at your back. If you blink you miss it.
    Just a little fun fact of no practical value I wanted to share. :)

Ever shoot a scoped .22LR at 100 yd's..................
    If the cross hairs are not in the way you can see the bullet starting to take a nose dive about 75 yd's out.

And back when I was a .380 guy.................
    A .380 w/lite loaded jacketed flat base bullets at 25 yd's, if you look for it you could see those in flight with the sun at your back.
    Sorry, even more useless information. :rolleyes:

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hah. My problems/annoyances apply equally to auto and LC, and have nothing to do with cylinder timing. The gun seems to work like Ruger intended, but not like I expected. Since I am older - if not meaner - than anyone working at Ruger, I will invoke my Geezer's Right to complain and "instruct".

I have another didn't-expect-to-need piece of equipment coming in the mail; shortly after it gets here I will have the data needed for the rant. Probably Sunday.

Maybe I'll send a copy as an email to Ruger's CEO; probably all hell will break loose. :D