Worst Range Day Ever: Gen 2 RPR receiver issues

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Pete156, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Pete156

Pete156 New Member

Hello all, new here to this forum.
    Purchased a Gen 2 Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5C last month. Several friends have purchased the same rifle in same caliber and love it.
    Monday I took mine to the range for a break-in. What a day! My closest target was at 100 yards. No problem, right? I have a PRECISION rifle with a $3K NightForce beast atop. This should be a piece of cake. Um, no.
    After taking the first couple shots and cleaning the barrel after each shot, I have no idea where my bullets are going. This has never happened to me before. I was intentionally holding in several locations on the board that was holding six targets.
    I remove the bolt, peer down the barrel and compare it to what I see in the scope. Just as I'm doing this the range officer comes to me with this troubled look on his face, kinda pissed off, and tells me I've been shooting the next board over to the left!
    Now the NightForce Beast has 80MOA of windage adjustment, so I crank that sucker as far as she can go. This scope has worked magnificently on several other precision rifles I own so no worries, right? Wrong!
    Over the last three days I have done a ton of research and talked to many experts, gunsmiths, owners, and dealers.
    Here's what I consider is a HUGE issue: several other owners of these RPRs have returned these rifles to Ruger over the last few months for the exact same issue - guns shooting LEFT. The factory in NH has replaced each guns barrel and returned them to the owners, stating they were bent. Guess what? They still all shoot FAR left! The problems are not fixed. The barrel aren't bent. That is silly talk! If the barrel was bent the bullet would not go down it. This has happened in both 308 and 6.5c calibers that I know of.
    Ruger has recommended I send mine back for repair. The only adequate repair is to replace the receiver, or replace the entire rifle! They were obviously not machined/tapped properly at the factory. No amount of tweaking will make this rifle shoot straight. It's so blatantly obvious when a scope is mounted you notice it from 20 feet away. And ALL these barrels point left. These lots need to be recalled by Ruger. I have a suspicion they are aware of it but won't let me talk to anyone but a customer service rep. You can see all the discussion on the other Ruger Forum
    Any suggestions? Would you guys send the gun back?
    Thanks, Pete

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Why wouldn't you send it back?

3. Pete156

Pete156 New Member

I know a new barrel will not fix the issue, as others have proven. Waiting a month or more to have this done during prime target season seems ludicrous when others have done the same with poor results. No owner has been satisfied with Rugers fix on this rifle yet.
    I just want the manufacturer to step up to the plate, admit the mistake, and make things right. The receivers are flawed.
    Example:If you were sold a car and all four wheels did not face the same direction, and the car went down the road sideways, would you send it back to the factory to have the tires changed when you know darn well it won't do anything?

4. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I start any new sight in at 25 yards, hard to think a new mounting would be on at 100 yards. Never in my experience.

5. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I would send it back and ask that the gun be test fired for accuracy before sending it back to me. Now is the time to send it back.
    Have you tried just using the iron sights off a bag to see where it is shooting?
    Yeah I bet the range officer wondered how new of a shooter you were. He would have shook his head if you said your scope was bent. Hitting the next lane target is like bowling and getting a gutter ball on the next lane over.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  6. Pete156

Pete156 New Member

Really? With something called a PRECISION rifle, a 3 thousand dollar tested scope with 5-25 power, and an experienced shooter? I don't have access to a range with a 25 yard target except indoors, and would likely be embarrassed if my rifle required more than a few shots to hit a four-foot wide board at 100 yards.

Oh yeah, and by the way, I got my Marksman ribbon in 1976, so I'm not exactly new to the game.

7. Pete156

Pete156 New Member

Ruger finally called me this afternoon and told me they will replace the ENTIRE rifle ASAP!

Thank You!

They are doing the right thing.

8. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

That's Ruger CS for ya.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yep, really.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I hope your new rifle performs accurately. Keep us updated. Thanks for your posting about this problem.

11. Pete156

Pete156 New Member

Shot replacement rifle yesterday. It's a tack driver. Much straighter right out of the box. Required less than two clicks of windage adjustment off zero, not 40+ MOA left like the first RPR I purchased.
    Thanks for doing the right thing, Ruger!

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

That's Ruger for ya :Cooltu:

:usa:

13. ifithitu

ifithitu Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum.