Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to the range Monday with the warm weather 12-26-16 and stopped by Wally World to get a box of factory 45 acp to also shoot. The box was not the traditional white box but black and had references to training.
The price was about 19 bucks and so bought them.
Got to the range and I shot several. Got home and was going to reload the brass cases only to find they has SMALL pistol primers and not the large like the rest of the world (except Federal. I would never had bought them if I had known. Not too cool Winchester !
So just beware. Look before you buy.
KY

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
KY,

Those aren't the only rounds that have small primers. Federal, Perfecta, and Aguilla also have small primers. You can reload them but you have to use small pistol primers. Usually when I get some from the range, I end up pitching them. Another thing to watch for are "NT" (non toxic) rounds. They will have NT or Non Toxic stamped on the head. You have to be careful because when you pick up range rounds, you can get all kinds of non re-loadable rounds. Another thing to look for in 9mm, inside of the casing, near the head, there is a double lining that will prevent you from reloading. Look inside of the round and about half way down towards the head you will find a liner inserted into the casing. I think they were put there because the casing walls are not strong enough to withstand the pressures, BUT you have to look closely to see them. Sorry but I can't remember which brand of round they are.

Tommy

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have a bunch, several thousand, SPP 45acp cases. A lot of manufacturers are making them now.Supposed to have something to do with being "green" I understand. They reload just fine, and I notice no difference in performance. I kind of like them, only have to stock one size of primer. Of course you now have to sort cases, but because the SPP cases are a reality, you have to sort anyway.

I trade 45acp cases with a friend. I usually get about 3 cases of SPP 45's for every one LPP case I give him.

A bit of trivia. 38 special used to take LPP also, but changed to SPP.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. The cases do have the NT on the headstamp. They look like small pistol primers. Are they the small primers and is there any reason they cannot be reloaded? Appreciate the info. KY

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
The flash holes are larger in cases marked "NT" and should not be reloaded with regular primers. The standard flash hole size is set at 5/64" for all US made ammo whereas NT cases have a 3/32" flash hole. Although the size doesn't appear to be much different, the NT flash hole is 30% larger in area.
I read this on another forum. Also mentioned was that possibly the casing is not quite as thick as a regular .45 casing is. When I run across NT rounds, I just toss them. From my understanding is the case pressure may not stand up to the regular brass casing. I am not willing to use an "unproved" round for the sake of savings a few cents.

Tommy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts