wifi data use

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Nov 16, 2016.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Those of you that have WIFI for internet does being on Facebook use up your data? Does playing games on Facebook or the internet use up your data?
    I have Verizon jet pack and really my usage only gets used up if I am downloading something. I can play internet euchre games and not use any data.
    The reason I ask is because a friend has just started using Verizon wfi and her phone is also tied in with it now and she is going through data like crazy and she seldom downloads anything. Her Wifi rounter says her wifi isn't even turned on and no bars even show. In two weeks she has gone through over 12 gb and like I said she isn't downloading squat. Something is sucking up her data. I wonder if it isn't because her phone is tied into it? But even then she doesn't download anything on her phone and she has unlimited talk and text.
    Anybody here can tell me what is eating her data up? She had 12 gb plan and had to add 6 more gb. Something is really wrong.
    I have Verizon jet pack not the router like she has and I download a lot and only use around 10 gb a month.

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I am going to show you my ignorance which is evident when I usually post something on the thread. I have the old style flip phone which is close to 6-7 years old. I still haven't learned how to text, or take pictures or do anything it's supposed to do. The bad part about it, I really don't care to learn either. If I want to know who is calling I say;"Hi, who is this?". My buddy just got a "smart" phone a couple of weeks ago and he couldn't answer it cuz he didn't know which button to push. He had to have his granddaughter show him how to use it. He still can't text but he doesn't care. What did we do before texting, cell phones, smart phones and all the new gadgets? Seems to me we got along alright before the "teckies" took over. And how many times do you drive down the road and someone in front of you slows down so they can read or text on their phones. When I drive, I refuse to answer my phone. I will wait until I can safely pull over or reach my destination. Pretty hard to text when someone is tailgating you and I would add somewhat dangerous.

Tommy

3. buster40c

I am the same as you Tommy........I still just have a flip phone. My idea is a phone is for talking to people on not typing messages{ texting}. I can't read texts messages even though my phone receives the call and no I can't send texts either.
    My phone goes RING and I say hello.
    The reason I have wifi is because there isn't anything else out here for internet that is worth a plug nickel. I don't use it for my phone.

4. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Go to her account on her service providers Web page. After she logs in, go to data usage. It will tell you what is sucking up her data.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

anything necessary to use the wifi for uses data. The more info transferred the more data used. Pictures, more than text. videos more than pictures. The phone should have an area in the system settings or general that shows what apps are using the data.

6. buster40c

She was told her being on social media is sucking most of it. She plays some games on Facebook but that is about all she does and not all the time either.

7. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I guess I'm confused. Is she connected to the wifi router? If so, she should not be using phone data, only the wifi. If she is not hooked to the wifi router, then yes, the data usage on her phone will show what's eating the data.

I leave my phone connected to social media constantly. Don't use it much, just scrolling through and "spying"on the girls. (their words). It is low on the list of where my data is going.

8. buster40c

Her data usage said total usage around 5% on a few different means which sure wouldn't be using data as fast as it is being ate up. Where is the other 95% going? Verizon is who said it was her being on social media causing it. It is not her phone doing it but her time on pc doing it.

I think the social media being the cause is a bunch of bunk. I can be on yahoo or gun forums all day and not use squat of data and I am using Verizon wifi also. The only time I am using much data is if I am watching videos or audios.

She works a phone business deal using Verizon wifi on her PC to connect. Her Verizon shows she isn't even connected to wifi and no bars are showing either. I am guessing she is eating up her data while she is signed into and working the program. I don't really understand any of it.