Wife frustrated about poor shooting results.

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by justin626, Mar 12, 2013.

1. justin626

justin626 New Member

So the wife and I are both new to shooting, but she's struggling a lot with getting consistent results. Most of my shots stay fairly grouped though not dead on center, but she is all over the place. She'll occasionally get a few shots grouped, but for the most part they are spread out randomly across the target.

The only thing that I've noticed is she's either flinching quite a bit and/or anticipating recoil.

Not only is she having this problem while shooting her XDM 9mm but also our Ruger SR22

Any thoughts/suggestions??

2. GerryM

GerryM New Member

What type of hearing protection is she using ... indoors or out... could be the noise is getting to her. Some new shooters need double ear protection

How far away are the targets.. If using a full mag, suggest maybe load 6 rounds in the .22, which will force a break..

Grip and stance...

Actually might be worth $50 to have her attend an hours worth of training with an NRA instructor...

my $.02

3. jrc

jrc New Member

Make sure her focus is on the front sight. The target is going to be a secondary consideration, but really zone in on the front sight. Then slowly she can get the 'line-up' of the horizontal sights.

A couple of random snap caps in the mag will diagnose a flinch. So will a cap and ball revolver if you can get one. I love those guns. They will break you of flinching.

Works for me - ymmv.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Grip and trigger control. Sign her up for a good class. Push/pull is a method that many don't understand and thus, don't use so their accuracy is all over the place and inconsistent. Trigger control does the same thing.

If she's having trouble with the 22lr there's nothing helpful to come out of shooting anything larger such as the 9mm. Gotta learn the basics before progressing. be the best route for both of being new to the hobby. Both of yu should invest in a some personal tie with a local instructor.

5. mark

mark Member

Watch each other dryfire and you will see the gun move when the trigger is pulled.
    Dryfiring would probably help both of you..

6. justin626

justin626 New Member

Thanks guys for all the great responses!!:)

When we have gone to the indoor range she was using some loaner muffs, but this last weekend at the outdoor range she was only using plugs. It's quite possible she didn't have them inserted properly. I checked both of the kids, probably should have checked hers as well since she never really has to wear them normally.

We usually just stick with the standard 7 yards since we are both starting out. Some times I play at 15 and 25, just to see. We normally just load 5 at a time. Her arms get tired quick and it keeps me from blowing thru our ammo too quick.

We definately were planning on taking a basic handgun course for starters that is offer by the indoor range. Just putting it off I suppose.

She has resorted to wearing her presciption glasses as opposed to standard safety glasses. I've tried to express to her that her focus should be on the front sight with the rears and the target being tracked in her peripherals

I tried the random placement of a few snap caps in a mag once. I found myself excessively flinchy and apprehensive not knowing if I was gonna get a bang or a click. But I only tried it the once. I know when dry firing, I'm right on point. Honestly we havent practiced it that much. She could probably benifit from it.

Not familiar with the "cap and ball" but you've sparked my interest. I'll have to look it up.

I've definatly seen her slap the trigger a time or too. She knows how and wear she should pull the trigger, though i'm not sure how consistant she is with following it. I also try to encourage the push/pull method. I think it helps out alot. Any thoughts about incorporating the thumb tuck that is used with revolvers. I tried it a few times and seems to help tame/absorb some of the recoil.

I think you definatly made a good point about shooting the 22 and the 9mm. Will probably see if she would be up to sticking with the 22 for the next few range visits to see if she levels out.

Certainly need to spend more time dry firing. I think in time her nerves will calm down. She pretty determined to out do me, but she is getting a little discouraged.

I need to by me a 10/22. She says she's spot on with a rifle but hasn't shot one since she was a kid.

7. jrc

jrc New Member

The thing that worked for me with cap and ball was the delay in the firing of the cap and the ignition of the powder in the chamber.

The cap goes 'bang' then there's a split second before the powder ignites and that forces you to hold the gun on the target through the entire event.

Plus the one I shot was a Navy Colt replica and was really accurate. Was a blast to shoot - pun intended. :)

Something like this : http://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...nd-ball-revolver-44-caliber-7-1-2-blue-barrel

8. Donn

Donn Member

Practice and avoiding bad habits are key. The other factor is, like any other sport, some days you've got it, some days you don't. There are days I'm ready to take on Jerry Miculek, other days I'd do better throwing stones. It happens.

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

All my life Ive wanted to see Alaska....hint hint.

I wish I could get in the car and drive there, to watch yall shoot.

I aint no exspurt, but I would pretend to be, just to see Alaska.

Practice, practice , practice,........then practice some more.;):D:cool:

Jim

10. justin626

justin626 New Member

Make it so, lol.. I'm good at pretending.

I'd even put you up and feed ya!

11. RRoss

RRoss New Member

Sorry for coming into this convo so late, but I have something that worked VERY well for me and my wife. I shoot the Glock26 and she the XD9 Subcompact. She was also having some serious issues with accuracy and I was given the suggestion to practice dry-fire drills with snap caps 3x a week. Do this in front of a mirror so you can see your body positioning. Another question is her grip. Which grip is she utilizing? The standard for the defensive stance is called the thumbs forward grip. This provides the body with natural movement in a shooting stance, although if you aren't used to it, then it might take a little to getting used to.
    Here are a couple links to help you out:

Snap Caps

Thumbs forward grip

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  12. justin626

justin626 New Member

Never too late! These are both great suggestions that me and the wife both could follow. We use a similar grip as shown, but it could probably use some fine tuning. Thanks for the info!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  13. jrc

jrc New Member

14. Win94ae

Win94ae New Member

Indeed!
    I have learned a lot by watching YouTube videos. There a lot of professional instructors conveying a wealth of information.
    Get a YouTube channel and start watching and subscribing to educational firearms channels.

15. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Until she can overcome the bad trigger control with the 22, she won't overcome it with anything larger. You don't run until walking is mastered. Rush it and all those improper techniques become muscle memory and are a LOT harder to change. Show her the "slapping" and any recoil worry. Insert an unloaded magazine into the gun, rack the slide as normal and have her fire the unloaded gun. Does she flinch?
    She says she's spot on...I'd have started with the rifle first and refreshed her, everyone, on the trigger control. Baby steps.

16. tater

tater New Member

The thumbs forward and less finger on the trigger has helped us.

17. spitball

spitball New Member

My wife had never shot handguns at all. She took a NRA basic handgun course by herself with my old P95. Took weekly range trips and would spend a couple of hours letting her get comfortable. Took her a while to get used to the noise of everyone else shooting. Bought her a SR-22 which she loves but would let her shoot my .40's and .45's. After a few 250 to 300 round trips with her .22, she was getting pretty good. Qualified for her CCW first time out.

18. ctd2005

ctd2005 New Member

Print this and keep it in your range bag. Take a look at it when she is shooting and see if it might help.

[​IMG]

19. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

Just remember the chart assumes good sight alignment/sight picture. This is not always a given for new shooters even though they understand what they are suppose to be seeing.

20. giturgun

giturgun New Member

:DLoad up Phil, U need some time off the board, and it would satisfy that just wanna thing.