Why Ruger?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by greg_r, Jun 11, 2016.

1. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Didn't see a general Ruger forum, so I thought I would just post this here.

Pretty much all my life my hunting and shooting experience has revolved around H&R / NEF. I have developed a like for the single shots and the 929 revolvers. My house gun was a Interarms Rossi 38 special. I bought a Taurus model 85 for carry. My only "high dollar" firearms were a Ruger MKII and a Ruger Deerstalker 44 carbine.

Not long after North Carolina adopted their concealed carry law, I decided to switch from revolver for carry to a single stack semi automatic.. I chose a Bersa BT380, and I will admit that cost had a lot to do with it. I was very happy with it, for about 700-800 rounds when it started having issues. Was actually told by one of their warranty centers that my issues were caused by soft metal, and it was a common occurance. There went my confidence, should have bought something better. I fixed it and it has given me no more problems, but there is that nagging feeling, when is it going to happen again?

I then switched to Taurus. I can say that I have not had the issues with Taurus that some have claimed, I have been happy with their products. I eventually ended up with 6 Tauri automatics. The only one I didn't really like was the PT709. It was reliable, I just didn't like the trigger. Was going to trade it for the G2 until I found out the G2 had the same trigger. Then I needed to replace a recoil spring for a 45 I had. Send it in. What? For a recoil spring? Of course the class action suit happened about then. Send it in and it's gone forever, and I had 3 class action guns! About this time I found out how much Taurus customer service sucked. While I'll never buy another Taurus, I will keep the 2 I have left, at least until they break.

I replaced the Tauri I no longer owned with a couple of Kahrs and a Ruger LCRX. Wow! Why didn't I do this in the first place! While I will probably buy one more Kahr, Rugers will be my focus from here on out. I see a LCRX 22 long rifle when they become available, and American rifles in 223 rem, 300blk, and 308 win. An American pistol in 9mm is on my get next list, and if Ruger comes out with an American pump shotgun, I'll get one of those too!

Below is a post I submitted to another forum when it was asked about the Ruger warranty. This happened not too long ago and is a big reason I have decided on Ruger. Plus they have built a plant in my home state and I like to do business with North Carolina businesses when I can. Lastly, no more foreign made firearms for me. My new slogan, "Buy Ruger, Buy American"!

I have only had one "warranty" experience with Ruger. After a range trip I noticed what was either a crack or a very deep scratch in the receiver of my MKII. I called Ruger customer service and told them about it. E-mailed a picture to the CS rep while I was on the phone with him. He agreed that it needed to be checked out and sent me a shipping label. I was notified when the firearm arrived and given an approximate turn around time. A few days later I received a call from Ruger stating that it was indeed just a scratch and the firearm was sound. However it was showing a lot of wear (it was over 20 years old and had been used extensively) and I was asked if it had any sentimental value. No, I bought it new myself. "We will refinish it for you if you want". Sure, go ahead.

About 2 weeks later I received my MKII back, not only refinished, but rebuilt! Complete with a list of everything they had done to it. No charge for any of it, not even shipping. Pretty good customer service for a company that doesn't even have a written warranty!

Carl Crosby and pmdoit like this.
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I bet Ruger would love to use that ^^^ in their customer testimonials..:);)

I am a Ruger fan first ...then there are a few others Ive decided aint too shabby either.

I just like almost anything that shoots.

Jim

pmdoit likes this.

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Wow that is a warranty nobody else could beat let alone even try to match. Bang for buck IMO you can't beat Ruger.

4. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

greg_r,

That's the way Ruger has done business (CS) for all the years and years that I've been shooting.
    Lucky for me, my first firearm was a Ruger.
    Every once in a while something would break, wear out or just be wrong with one of my Rugers.
    They've stepped up Every Time to happily take care of the problem. Far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if you are the 1st or 15th owner.

Yeah, if Ruger makes a gun that works for your application, you can't go wrong when you buy it.
    I sure wish they made a pump shotgun!
    As I've stated before, there are a couple of big names in gun making that I'll never buy again because of the Horrible Customer Service they offer.
    Of course Ruger is the standard I judge by, so there is that......

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Near as I can tell from what I've read, the only exceptions are for guns no longer in production, that they have no parts for. Like the P85/P95 series probably, and the "Mark I" M77. Dunno about my Single Six.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I hope the Single Six is still under warranty. I just bought a Single Six Convertable in Stainless!

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^^ Yes, my M77 tang safety is an exception. But they did offer what they called a deep discount on a new rifle.
    Couldn't tell me how much without seeing the rifle of course. Only problem, not a single 25-06 in the lineup.
    And that's how I ended up with a Weatherby 25-06.
    It could be worth doing if I wanted a different caliber to load for.

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Yep, by golly, it's still listed (yay). I figured since they are up to Single 10, there was no more Single Six. Hah. Jeez, they've been making that Single Six convertible for quite a spell now.

9. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I was going to look. Mine is NIB, thought it might be NOS!

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

;) Sorry to alarm you.

While I was looking on the Ruger site, I saw the Single Nine, which is in .22WRM only it seems. Comes with Williams fiber-optic sights front and rear. Hmm.

Hmm.

...well, I don't really much like .22WRM out of a handgun barrel. Kind of loud and sparky in my Single Six. Those sights might be nice though.

11. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I don't care much for the 22 magnum out of a revolver either. But I happened to be at the gun shop when another customer was looking at the revolver. I heard $499 out the door. I thought it was a good price. When the gent didn't buy it, I told the clerk to just leave it out for me! :)

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I like shooting .22 mags in my Single Six, or at least I did when you could find em and buy em at a reasonable price.
    LR's are fun but I like a little more boom with my bang...... :confused:

13. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I've only shot 22 magnums out of 3 handguns. A NAA Mini, an American Derringer, and a H&R 649. The H&R and NAA were convertables. I didn't see a whole lot of difference between the 22 LR and 22 Magnum out of them, except the fireball and noise. Magnum Shotshells out of the NAA Mini are definitely more effective than the 22LR shotshells though.

14. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

:roll eyes: Ok, can someone please show me this Ruger "warrantee"? ;)

15. conservative

conservative New Member

Blckhawk73: there is no written warranty.

16. pmdoit

pmdoit Member

Comforting to hear about Ruger service. I am just getting into pistol shooting. I bought an SR22 after trying several different brands and models. It just felt right and shot straight. I just purchased a LCP II for pocket carry and am likewise impressed. I feel like their are many more guns in my future and am wondering if I should waste my time looking at anything but Ruger.

17. Sportymonk

Sportymonk New Member

Disclaimer: I ma not a Ruger owner - yet.

I inherited several 22 rifles and shotguns and a 1927 S&W 44 Special that I haven't shot in 45 years. As life seems more violent on the news and then with the coming 2016 election, my wife turned to me and said, "you say that 44 is too powerful for shooting around the house (it is) maybe I time to get a gun before its too late. So I did tons of research of a good Concealed Carry gun and settled on a S&W 9mm Shield. Its ok but ...

But as my son and I have started shooting and going to the range in Raleigh where we can rent guns Triangle Shooting Academ(Rocky Mount range doesn't) I see that I need (ok want) a better gun. My son hates shooting my Shield. One trip he hands me a Ruger American and says try this. WOW! Very nice. Research, research, and I realize nobody agrees on anything. Found a Walther Creed. Great trigger but the grip isn't going to work for me and the backstrap is not adjustable. I love the Sig P320 full size but at a barrel of 4.7, its too large. No hope of concealed carry. P320 Compact is a 3.9" barrel, not much more than my Shield. Love the Ruger American 9mm. Great accuracy and fell. 4.2" barrel, love it. Great feel, great trigger.

So, as soon as I can get back over to Raleigh with $444 plus tax, I will own a Ruger American. And my son has fallen in love with the Ruger LC9s. He says it is a world of difference between it and my Shield. His problem is he wants a Ruger American, and a LC9s, and a 10/22 rifle. 22 is so much cheaper to shoot. If I can't mount a scope on my old Remington 22 Smei rifle, I may try to get a 10/22 also. The ability to "fix it up is great).

So I am coming to Ruger simply because I like the Ruger American, my son likes the American and the LC9s, and I hear their customer service is A#1. And don't forget, they are made in the USA.

So expect some more Ruger owners here shortly.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  18. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

I really like my Lc9s. The trigger is fabulous.

[​IMG]

19. valvestem

valvestem New Member

I have owned Rugers since 1972, when I bought a Mark 1. (Yes they were just as bad to re-assemble as the Mark 3s, but without the magazine involvement.) I have owned plenty of other brands as well through the years, but I like Rugers as a gun I can trust, have fun with and depend on for personal security.

20. Lucian_253

Lucian_253 Member

My Lc9s Pro is more accurate in my hands then my shield 9mm. I really should carry it more often.