Why my LW Commander was shooting low

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by Tommycourt, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Today I finally figured out why my LW Commander was shooting low. I was doing 2 things wrong. I was "heeling" the grip in anticipation of recoil. I don't know why because I don't do it with my 2 other 1911's. Secondly, I was bowing my head and not bringing the sights up to my sight of vision. Today I was tired and finally noticed how I was bowing my head and then that straightened out. I practiced shooting @40 and 50 feet respectively. I could hold the group in an 8 inch pattern but certainly not as well as the guys shooting the steel plate. I also noticed that the orange target was visibly blurry at the 50 foot mark. Out of 100 rounds, I had 2 flyers and the rest were all in the 10x to the 8 ring with 2 in the 5 ring. My 2 flyers were off in the zero range. Guess these eyes aren't as good as they used to be, plus I am going to have to remember to bring the pistol up to my line of vision.
    Tommy

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you found your problem. I also notice if I keep my eye on the poa and bring the gun up to my poa then I shoot better. I have read that is wrong to do but it seems to help in my not dropping my head to line up sights. I guess that actually is considered following through. Stopping the chain of movement by dropping the head to line up the sights throws the sight picture off poa. Does this make sense to you?
    Shooting low according to the shooting chart is from breaking the wrist down, pushing forward or drooping head. Heeling supposedly cause higher-to the right shots. It makes sense because heeling you are actually pushing the butt forward causing higher position of muzzle shot. Pushing forward is not the same as heeling from what I understand it to be saying. Pushing forward is actually pushing the muzzle down for recoil expectation.
    I think since it has stopped raining I will go outside and pop off a few. See if I can correct myself any.

3. buster40c

Well I learned my front sight being black shooting against black sucks. My Sig front sight has a dull white dot and the rears are just black. It was hard to see front sight on target. I was at least staying within a 8" circle except a few zingers out of circle.
    My Colt sights are all black so again it was hard to see I was sighted in worth a dang.
    According to the chart with the Colt I was tightening grip while pulling trigger with maybe combination of squeezing thumb and to much trigger finger.
    I know one thing I have got to put some Glow-On on my sights or something.
    Tommy what are you using for sights? Are your sights black or what?

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I have Novak sights which are 3 white dots. Each side of the rear sight has a white dot and the front sight has a white dot. They are small, and I mean small dots. When I shoot, I just concentrate on the front dot and don't worry too much about the rear. Shooting with black sights on a black target is almost impossible to distinguish the targets from the sights. I have that problem with my Colt Commander. Black on black. But for some reason I am anticipating recoil which I don't do with my full size 1911 or my all steel Commander. I know this: at 50 feet, that target (orange about the size of a playing card) is fuzzy. That is the 10 square. I was using the head silhouette @40 feet and the orange card @50 feet. I could hold all but 2 rounds in the head but when I went to 50 feet, I had about 10 or so rounds out of the orange card and into what they call the 7 + 8 range. After I realized I was bowing my head, my shooting got better. I didn't realize I was doing it at first and then for some reason I noticed it and it helped by bringing the sight plane up to your eye level.
    Tommy

5. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I lied! I brought the target home and the orange center is not the size of a playing card. It measures 4" wide and 5 1/2" tall.
    So shooting those steel targets like they showed on the video the other day, I might have a problem hitting as many as they did. In fact I know I would have a problem hitting them, because I think they might be blurry to me when try to aim and hit them.
    Thought I had better let you know. Don't want to lead you astray!
    Tommy

6. buster40c

I feel so used.lol

7. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I use a 7 finger grip...;)

You should try that, I hit the broad side of a barn once.

Jim

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  8. buster40c

Well Phideaux I doubt you get to much thumb squeeze.
    A friend of mines dad had a mistake with a circular saw and ended up with his hand similar to yours.

9. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Table saw ...here.

3 yrs ago, , glad I had always practiced , a liitle, lefty,
    Now I shoot all handguns lefty ,and still shoot rifles righty.What do you think I shoot more of handguns or rifles,

Bump in the road, keep on truckin.;):)

Jim

10. buster40c

I painted my LCR sights with GLO-ON and painted a few more targets black to shoot at. I held my little finger off the grip, which there isn't really room for anyway, and both thumbs pointing to the side. I actually hit the bulls eye a few times and mostly stayed within an 8" circle from 29' freehand standing. With the under 2" barrel I feel that is not great but decent for me anyway.
    I painted the front sight ramp and the rear frame sight edges. Helped me a lot getting on target. Just need more practice.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If you are shooting a pistol with a 2" barrel and hitting the bull's eye I am standing behind you if we get into a gunfight. I figure age before beauty!!! I would feel good if I could consistently hit the bulls eye @29 feet.
    Tommy

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I tried to cut my right thumb off about 5 years ago. I was coving out a tree stump with a small 4" chain saw and it hit a burl in the wood and kicked back on me. I finished the job and then figured I had better take my glove off and looked. It was just hanging on. I was trying to make another tree stump to shape form metal. Enough of that. What you need it too wear long sleeve shirts with a spring up your sleeve like the old card sharks used to wear in the 1800's and slip a derringer up your sleeve. I bet you could eliminate some card cheats anyway.
    Tommy

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    That is called changing the parallax (fancy word huh?). Point your right finger at a spot on the wall and close your left eye. Then open your eye and close the other one and without moving your finger, see where you are pointing. Watch the change. That is basically what I am doing when I bow my head to the sights. I didn't learn this on my own although you realize I am a scientific genius. I talked to the range master this last Sunday and he worked with me about 10 minutes and got me somewhat
    straightened out.

14. buster40c

UH Tommy If I was CONSISTANTLY hitting the bulls eye I would figure I had a really good day. I didn't say I consistently hit the bulls eye. I said I hit it a few times. I don't want to mislead you. lol

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Oh jeeeeeeeeeeeez Buster,

I feel soooooooooo used!!!!

Tommyh