Arizona Why John, Why?

Discussion in 'South West USA' started by ArizonaHeat, May 10, 2013.

1. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

So after the Senate voted on the amendments for the Safe communities and schools act of 2013, and one of my Senators decided to vote for the Manchin-Toomey amendment I wrote him a follow up email ( I flooded all my representatives emails, voicemails since the issue came up ) to ask him why he voted as he did, and why I should ever support him sgain with a vote or money.

Here is Senator McCains reply to me;

May 10, 2013

Dear Mr

Thank you for contacting my office regarding gun control and the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013 (S.649). I appreciate your taking the time to share your views with me.

Like all Americans, my heart goes out to the people of Newtown, Connecticut; Aurora, Colorado; my beloved Tucson, Arizona; and all of the other cities and towns impacted by recent acts of senseless gun violence. Sadly, the rest of us are left with more questions than answers, and differing, albeit well-intentioned, solutions designed to preserve our way of life and do our best to ensure these horrible events are less likely tomorrow.

For over three decades in Congress, I have built as strong a record as anyone in this body in defending the Second Amendment. I have consistently opposed the efforts of anti-gun supporters to ban guns and ammunition, staunchly defending the Constitutional rights that Arizonans hold dear. I have voted against assault weapons bans because I believed they would not work and opposed efforts to cripple firearms manufacturers by making them liable for the acts of violent criminals. I proudly lent my signature to Supreme Court briefs defending an individual’s right to bear arms. In my view, the wisdom of our framers inclusion of the right to bear arms is self-evident. Further, and as an Arizonan, I understand the significance of gun ownership to the people of the West, whether for self-defense, sport, or simple ownership.

I approach the issue of gun rights with a profound respect for our Constitution, and the freedoms and rights that it bestows on each and every one of us. But, I am also guided by a firm commitment that we should do everything we can, within the bounds of the Constitution and the principles of individual rights and federalism on which it is based, to stem the rising tide of gun violence in this country.

Gun violence in America, particularly mass violence, has roots that are much deeper than the instruments of violence itself. These roots are, as they have always been, cultural, systemic and diffuse. They involve the confluence of many different factors that we live with, and tacitly accept, every day. The increased lethality of some of these weapons, in particular, those that have been used in many of the most high-profile incidents, does not change this fact. Nor does it alter how inherently difficult it is to adequately address these factors legislatively.

These factors include, more prominently than is being recognized, a popular culture that celebrates hyper-violence. Over the last few years, this culture has become manifested in cruel and sadistic interactive video games, access of which to our children is unprecedented. Such influences have made the ability of parents to monitor what the developing minds of our children consume—and are consequently affected by—all the more difficult.

The effect of such stimuli on the developing minds of our young—minds that are, by definition, not fully matured and given to compulsive behavior—is something about which there is precious little discussion. In many of these same cases, young people are also subject to family dynamics that are volatile, enormously stressful and which lack structure or discipline. Or, are over-prescribed (or themselves abuse) powerful mood-altering medication that, administered outside an appropriate treatment regime, undermine the ability of young people to learn how to manage stress. We also have to mention, of course, widespread abuse of alcohol and illegal drugs. We also see, in many of these cases, a chronic inability or unwillingness by law enforcement to enforce currently existing laws that, if followed fully and consistently, would be helpful in deterring or preventing gun violence.

In a few of the cases that have been highlighted in the recent debate, we see persons with severe undiagnosed mental illness, and their parents, without the ability to recognize when they need to ask for help or the means to address their conditions effectively. So how do we legislate each of these factors or the cumulative effect of them all? We have to be honest. We cannot.

But, what we also cannot do is perpetuate the fiction that we can legislatively address all the root causes of gun violence today with efforts that do nothing other than impinge on rights that the Constitution bestows on all Americans. On issues such as these, we have to be more precise in our efforts, and more creative in our resolve.

I do not believe narrowly expanding background checks impinges on our Second Amendment Rights. Anything we can do within the bounds of the Constitution that would prevent someone who should not have a firearm from getting one is a good thing. And, embracing the opportunity to do so with the recent profoundly tragic events in mind, is worth doing.

But, let me be clear. We must not conflate doing so with the delusion that, if enacted, the legislative proposals we are considering or will consider would have prevented a lot of the mass violence in the past. Given the cultural, systemic nature of the problem, this would be, at best, unknown and, at worst, untrue.

For this reason, as we debate and consider legislative proposals on this vitally important subject, we must discharge our legislative responsibilities with great care and deliberation. This issue is too important and complicated and the lives and rights of all those whom it affects are far too precious for any lesser approach.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. Please do not hesitate to do so regarding this or any other matter of concern.

Sincerely,
    John McCain
    United States Senator

JM/JT

2. mike94yj

mike94yj New Member

They admit the legislation does nothing to curb violence yet they all scramble to be a part of it. They refuse to address simple things like enforcing current laws.

3. ArizonaHeat

ArizonaHeat New Member

Yeah because that is "common sense" right?

I knew he was going to vote the way he did, prior to the vote. I had used the contact your representative programs setup on Ruger.com and NRA-ILA. The replies I got from Sen McCain to each of those was drastically different. The reply to the NRA one was an uncompromising I fully support the 2nd Amendment and personal liberties. The reply to the Ruger one is where he tipped his hand, saying I fully support the 2nd, but will consider any reasonable bill addressing public safety.

4. JimThornTX

JimThornTX New Member

Because John McCain is a RINO, that's why.

5. MOUNTAINWILLIAM

MOUNTAINWILLIAM New Member

That isn't all he is but I was taught not to say such things in polite company.

6. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I don't expect "Maverick" to change his stripes, as McCain's liberal leanings have become his entrenched ideology. Even more troubling (for Arizonans) is the fact that McCain has reproduced himself in the person of Senator Jeff Flake. Flake ran as a solid conservative with Libertarian leanings, and has absolutely morphed into McCain Junior (in light speed). :(

7. MOUNTAINWILLIAM

MOUNTAINWILLIAM New Member

Prime example of "Monkey see, Monkey do".

8. Photo35

Photo35 New Member

McCain has always been first to answer to the cause for re election Not for what is right. He changes his mind more often than his BVD's
    Down in Southern AZ by the Mexican US border you better carry. Not one but Two Rugers Alaskan in .454 casul and one of the many Semi auto's

9. Ernesto

Ernesto In the army now..

lUCKY YOU GOT A REPLY IN THE FIRST PLACE.!!!

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I don't know if he had beaten Obama would we be better off now? I think they are all in the same corrupt system that is running it all.
    They are trying to show gun laws don't work so they have to take away the guns. That's what the bottom line agenda is.
    Unless there is a revolution in this country we can kiss it goodbye. IMO well over 50% of Americans have no idea what is really going on. What's worse is they don't give a dang. You don't discuss politics sure has everyone zip lipped. Good way to keep secrets isn't it? If it wasn't for alternative news media we wouldn't even know what we do know. There again is why the FCC is censoring the internet right now. They have to shut up the talking heads to the people.

11. Ernesto

Well I don't fall for them... whomever it is going to take away our guns. That'll NEVER happen!!
    Besides we got more hidden buried guns in this country than China has intoto. lol oops.... not me not me.

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

It's time for McCain to retire and go back to Scottsdale. He has been playing both sides of the fences long enough. He gives lip service to the ones who MIGHT re-elect him. I wrote his office and never even got a response. I guess I'm just a little guy and little guys don't count. I believe that it's time that instead of having a lifetime of politics, there should be term limits. Same way with SCOTUS. A lifetime appointment is too much for any one person. SCOTUS is no longer interpreting the law, they are changing and legislating from the bench. McCain stating that he is not against more background checks is a cop out. He is as dangerous as POTUS and he will continue to be until we get him out of office. If Hillary wins the POTUS she will be another Lame Duck/Lame Brain that we presently have now. And don't think she won't come after our guns. She will hell bent to get them any way she can. She is not above skullduggery to achieve her goals. As a fellow Zonie (Az), we have to continue our fight to maintain our rights. Even though we send letters, we are shunned. I wish I knew the answer. All I know is if they try to take my guns it will be under duress and not without a fight.
    Tommy

13. buster40c

Tommy do you really think AZ voters actually voted for him this last time? I just find it hard to believe him or Reid actually got voted back in.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    Last election we didn't really have much of a choice on who was running for senator from our area. We have a lot of good people here in Az but you know in politics that it's the money that you can raise that will support your platform. McCain has money! His wife has the Budweiser franchise in Scottsdale that her grandfather started and he grew the business. I don't think she has anything to do with the running of the business however, they do have connections. Scottsdale is the "Hollywood" of Az. It's who you know and how much azz you want to kiss and tolerate. Plain ole politics as usual. I think if you ask KMO, AzHeat and Mountainwillam you will get the same answer. I think a couple of those boys live up north in more hospital climate but up there is more sparse in population than down in my southern neck of the woods.
    Tommy

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  15. buster40c

I think you are right. Here in Texas I didn't want Cornyn or McCaul to win the nomination but they won it. That left no choice.
    I think people don't really know squat about the career politicians and they don't hear much if anything bad about them and how they voted against or for the people. So for this the voters think they have done a good job so vote them back in over a name they don't know anything about.
    This voting for lesser of two evils is down right wrong. I refuse to do it anymore. If I only see two evils then I will not vote anymore. There just isn't any point in it. IMO the people just think their vote matters. Perfect example was the last election when the supposed bad guys got voted out and power switched to Republican control only to have business as usual after the election. The people thought new blood would stop the corruption but it didn't do squat.

16. Ernesto

If there ever was a valid reason to invade another country then Mexico is numero uno. We should just take the country because they are so corrupt and wont stop the invasion of their people and drugs. And they have oil too and its closer than Iraq.
    '
    Dang - I sound just like Donald. lol

17. buster40c

I have news for you. Mexico is not a big poor trash bin that we are told it is. We are only shown the gutter border towns not the neighborhoods that look like middle class America. Anyone thinking Mexico is more corrupt than the USA has been eating the propaganda fed to them by our corrupt government.
    I got news for many that believe everywhere but the USA is a dump due to corruption. Look at Detroit or Cleveland or many other US cities. Guess what ruined those cities? It sure wasn't honest leadership or management caused it.
    The majority of immigrants we get from South America are poor uneducated people. Their governments want these people to leave because it takes them off their burden and expense sheets. You don't see rich Mexicans moving here.
    There are many wealthy Americans leaving the good old USA and giving up citizenship. You think these rich are leaving to go live in a lesser lifestyle? Oh I forgot we don't hear about this on our news.
    There isn't many Americans if they were living in totally poor conditions with no future of things getting better wouldn't swim to a land of milk and honey provided by the government there. Our government makes people leaving pay big fines and limited what they can take out.
    Do people realize in order to take up permanent residence in most countries that you have to show how you can support yourselves? Unlike the USA they are not looking for an expense laid on their citizens and government. Does anyone really wonder why the average US taxpayer works at least 5 months out of the year just to pay his taxes? Thanks to Obama and government poor management we will not have a higher standard of living here. In Houston alone it is reported to have over one million illegal immigrants. That is about a third of Houston population. Houston is a sanctuary city which costs its tax paying citizens a lot of money. What's even worse is these illegals are given many free passes by the law enforcement. Houston has had cops killed by illegals that had been deported several times but still kept coming back.
    The illegals being brought in now are not a cost to our government but a source of collateral against our national debt. Besides the new voters they gain from them. The illegals are a cost which the tax payers fund totally. Our government is not about to shut down the borders and will continue offering them our tax dollars to come here.
    Go into a SS office and you will see the packed waiting room probably has less than 1% of elderly in it. We the tax payers are being scammed by our government beyond our imagination.
    We don't really need worry about so many poor illegals coming here in the near future. Obama's use of the TPP will see to that. There will be many Americans working the jobs the illegals are working now because they will have to in order to keep from starving.
    I hate to even think it but America is being transformed. The old is going to be gone replaced with a new breed to be molded into the followers and slaves they want them to be. There will be no USA historical sightings and it dang straight will not be taught.
    Well like someone said, I am misinformed so pay no attention to this. I hope that is proven right.
    Do I like what is happening? Absolutely not. Does it anger me to see foreigners not wanting to be Americans but just come here to disrespect our country while taking from it and want to make our country like theirs? Absolutely yes it does. But then again our government isn't only allowing it but is encouraging it.

18. Ernesto

I hate to tell ya this but there's a ton of rich Mexican citizens that own very nice houses, condo's ect here where I live and they come here to shop, hang out where it is safe. Many have dual citizenship as well.
    The very wealthy Mexican citizens have to watch out for robbery and kidnapping with large payouts. Add in the drug warfare down there and they are all running to the border so to speak.
    In 2014 200 US citizens were kidnapped in Mexico. Good luck with that. Then if you so much as break a law and get thrown in jail the only way out is paying up.

But yes, you have to be semi wealthy to become a citizen, but if you want to retire there you don't have to become a citizen at all.