Why is Ruger pistols , like Rodney Dangerfield,Get No Respect !)

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by kde71450, Apr 3, 2013.

1. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

In a lot of forums and on Youtube. You find fans of many different gun MFRs. I respect the rep that Glock has. I wouldn't mind having one added to my collection (of ONE). And I get the belief that High Dollar means ultimate quality. I am just not that interested in owning a Sig or HK. In that middle price range I find Ruger, Smith & Wesson and Springfield well suited for the American masses. http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/03/26/guns-at-a-glance-the-top-commercial-firearms-makers-in-america/

Interesting article. I like the fact that Ruger owns the major share of gun sales in the last decade or two. So far I have fired approx 700-800 rounds through my SR40C. I have had maybe 3-4 stovepipes. Glock and M&P fans say "That doesn't happen with our gun!" I don't have anything major going wrong with my SR40C. I understand Ruger customer service is better than most.. I basically love my Ruger. Someday I'd like to own the SR9C (But to be honest I will also shop other brands just to see what's out there.

2. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

The good folks at Ruger, particularly in the past 5-7 years, have introduced some of the coolest and most highly-sought-after firearms in the industry. Of the last 5 firearms I've purchased, 3 have been from Prescott. Great stuff.

3. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

I want to thank my friend MrFats123 (Who is a Ruger Fan) It was he who introduced me to shooting. Our first outing it was a Charter Arms 38, Ruger LCP, Ruger SR9C, And the Ruger SR40C. Which at first gave me some recoil and muzzle rise, but with his direction I got it under control, and was getting some pretty good groupings. He thought I would like the 9mm better, but I felt the 40 was really a rush to shoot. So in the next few weeks I purchased my first gun ever.

4. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Just some of MrFats123 Rugers

Attached Files:

5. MikeInVegas

MikeInVegas New Member

I don't care what the Glock fanboys say. Any gun can malfunction. ANY gun. And as far as price goes, high price doesn't necessarily mean you're getting better quality. Sometimes you're just paying for a name. I'd say your three or four malfs out of 800 rounds is perfectly acceptable.

And I'm not sure why some folks think Rugers aren't as good as some of the competition. In my book, Ruger ranks right up there with the best of them, without the prohibitive price tag. I've had my Mini-14 keep running flawlessly under conditions that disabled a friend's AR-15 (from a well-known maker, no less). My EDC? A Ruger LC9. I have absolute faith in it. I will buy more Rugers in the future, you can count on that.

6. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

As an owner of a Glock I will say that a malfunction can happen to anything manmade. It may not have happened to someone yet but sooner or later things malfunction/break. All anyone can do is maintain their firearm to the best of their ability and train. Training and practice are your best friends. Most times if we do our jobs, the firearm will do it's job. All of my G19's "failures" were when I was letting someone shoot a pistol for the first time. After the first magazine, there were no more problems. That is not to say the G19 will never fail, it just hasn't yet. I will continue to train for when that day comes as this is my carry gun. (For right now.;))
    However, what is my favorite manufacturer of firearms? I would say of all the different manufacturers I have owned, Ruger ranks as #1. I do love the feel of a S&W revolver and had quite an affair with a Remington 1100 for a while when I was younger. But if I was told I could only buy one manufacturers guns for the rest of my life, my purchases would be Rugers. (Ruger needs to make a revolver to compete with the .460 S&W Magnum DA. Why, because I want one, bad.):D

7. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I love Ruger guns.....made in the USA, beautiful guns that's work great, what more could you ask for? When you go to gun shops , the Ruger is the hardest one to find. There in such demand......that tells me there an awesome gun....:)

8. str8shooter45

str8shooter45 New Member

I have been a fan of Ruger single action revolvers for years. I inherited a Mark II a while back. Very accurate and reliable. Last year I was looking into a CC weapon. If I didn't research I probably would have bought an XD9 compact. Well after reading forums like this, I decided to look at the SR9c. I liked it, an excellent choice no regrets, can't be happier with the purchase. In January a friend turned me on the LCP. So what happened, went to Gander Mountain, and Elsie followed me home. Then February I was at the local gun range and was talking to the owner and looking at guns. He mentioned he just got an SR45 in, but its not out on display yet. Guess who the new owner is:). In my opinion Every one of the Ruger I bought was a great value and reliable gun. Would I look at other guns in the future, sure, but I have my sights on another one that carries the Ruger name. Please come out with the SR45c.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  9. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Ruger is my #1 choice. (As my tattoo says ;):D)

10. jrc

jrc New Member

Shhhhh ... just leaves more for us. :D

11. bikeride4fun

Great looking guns str8shooter45.....

12. RugerRon60

RugerRon60 New Member

I think if someone wanted to get somebody into shooting having the SR9c and the SR40c would definitely do the trick. How could anyone not like shooting those two gems? I am waiting for Ruger to put a SR45c out.

13. chelboed

chelboed Member

I get my ruger addiction from my dad. My first ruger was a Super Single Six. [i was 12] From there, I moved to 10"blued mkii, 6" stainless mkii, gp100 .357, mini 30, p89, Redhawk .44 mag, sr40, mini 14.

What's next?

My dream list:

No.1 big bore
    M77 - 7 mag
    Super Redhawk .44
    P95
    SR1911
    Mkiii
    Charger
    10/22
    Scout

Who knows?

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

14. 00b5

00b5 Member

Hey bikeride4fun, your inventory has grown a little lately.:)

15. str8shooter45

str8shooter45 New Member

Love them Rugers Thanks

16. bikeride4fun

Hey 00b5..lol....Yeah I got a few more. They are more I would love to get.....have to let my wallet recover..lol

17. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

First off I have seen a Glock jam so that old story has a few holes in it . Like was said any gun can fail sometime. I had a G27 and it was first gun in collection of 22 that I sold. No fan boy here.
    Rugers are among some of the best in quality and pricing. The SR40C for $405 just can't be beat IMO. Out of all my pistols the Rugers are most liked. Just added the LCR .357 to the collection.
    Guns are like cars, people tend to go with what dad had without trying what else is out there. Dad never was into guns so I had to try them all out. That led to a collection of 22 within a year of getting the gun fever. I have more Rugers than any other brand.

18. DonnieD

DonnieD New Member

Good post. There are lots of people who for whatever reason think foreign and usually European guns are better than domestic guns. I don't agree. Perhaps they think Ruger is not exotic enough.

Despite what some detractors say, Rugers usually provide you with a very rugged, durable, reliable and desirable firearm. Usually when compared to S&W revolvers Rugers are criticized for inferior triggers. Don't necessarily agree.

I have 5 Ruger handguns and 2 long guns ranging from a SR22 to a No. 1 in .458 Win Mag. They're all fine guns and I will keep all of them. The one that pleases me the least is a GP100. Fine gun, nice trigger but for some reason I shoot my S&W .500 Mags more accurately, why I have not the slightest idea. Don

19. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

Up until the more recent line of Ruger pistols like the lcp and SR series Rugers have been pretty heavy compared to the competition. The have been very reliable for the price, just heavy and not super performers in any area. The MK series is a fabulous shooter and amazingly reliable, but a PITA to reassemble without practice (wish they would have fixed that in the III series) They were the working man's work horse of handguns.

In the last 5 years or so Ruger has made huge leaps into catching up with the competition in making handguns that are plenty light enough to carry, plenty reliable to depend on for defense, and far more pleasing both in appearance and ergonomics. They've caught up with the competition, but some people are just not ready to accept that because they are still basing opinions on the older Ruger hangun series.

As a side effect though, Ruger has caught the reputation of being a copy cat now....LCP and LC9 are just enhanced kel tecs, the SR9 and SR45 copied the GLock trigger, the American Rifle is a copy of the Savage axis and accutrigger, etc.

There's a lot of different reasons Ruger doesn't get a lot of respect, and all of them are silly IMO. They are making a good quality American product at a good price and backed by a good warranty.....whats not to like about that?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  20. kde71450

kde71450 New Member

Breaking in my brand new (1st day) 3Speed deep conceal holster (Gun unloaded and safety checked). According to their website takes about 1 week to soften up and conform to gun and magazine. Right now i am wearing it just above the beltline. Seated at computer for last hour, feels prettty comfortable.

Attached Files: