Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, I know i'm different and crazy and all that stuff and not built like the average joe at 6'2" and 280lb BUT when using my xp100 break away holster under a flannel shirt with one button undone it is the most concealable accessible and comfortable rig I have owned and I have worn it daily on the farm and everywhere else for 20+yrs with the 9.5" SRH or a 7.5" .45lc blackhawk in it. I also usually carry an SCCY CXP2 9mm in an alien holster (faster,but not as concealable) and two speed loaders one with hot .45lc 250 gr and one with 240gr XTP mag .454 handloads that chrono at 2300 + ft lbs energy and a spare clip for the SCCY as standard when I leave the house. I started hand loading the .45lc blackhawk for ccw because of the much better bullet selection for the purpose than was offered for the .44 mag SRH I had. .45 cal bullets are offered in flavors that will do their business very effectively out of a hot .45lc without over penetration or expending their energy over the next three counties behind the target. example, a friend of mine was attempting to hunt raccoon on our farm with a .44mag carbine loaded with hollow points. he treed one and emptied the gun into it and it kept hissing at him and refused to fall from the tree. the one I shot once with the .45lc and 200 gr hornady xtp's came down in two halves. I have burned many pounds of H110 and 296 in these guns with many different styles of bullets at up to 300+ yds over chronos. I have fired them into many different targets both living and otherwise up to deer size and measured their performance. I have tried many powders and primers over the tens of thousands of rounds both me and my friends have shot thru various length barrel .45lc and .454 casull rugers and have kept notes about the results. I will not offer specific load recipes for obvious reasons but would be willing to share what did and did not work. And yes I still have eyebrows and have never split a case or ruined or even loosened up a gun doing this over 20+ yrs. just hoping to provide helpful unorthodox at times info to those who didn't have the opportunity to do this. PS. after loading for the .45's I sold the .44. With the rise in long range terrorist attacks and the use of body armor by bad guys I feel the .454 casull makes sense. at the range of the las vegas shooting or about 1000yd the .454 will carry 1.5 times the energy as a 5.56nato or 7.62X39 you just have to aim 12 stories high! lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great idea if a terrorist rhino comes across your path!
please forgive me for the book, but this takes far longer to read than it did to happen and I only hope it is helpful, it did does have a happy ending with no one getting hurt. The point is to end conflict thru clear thinking so that everyone sees another sunrise! of the dozen or so occasions where I have had to use or display a firearm to stop an attack or criminal activity the one that comes to mind is a case of entrapment and battery on a deserted road where two cars with multiple people in them boxed me in and stopped me on a stretch of deserted highway at night. I did not know what was going on and locked my doors and my friend locked his. I had my window part way down and a man calmly approached my door unarmed and then punched me in the jaw knocking me over in the seat. I could feel him trying to pull me out of the seat belt and try to open the door. I didn't know how many others would be coming up to the car from the other vehicles armed or not or who they were. At this time I pulled that big .45 cal revolver thru the buttonhole on my shirt while staying down across the seat so I wasn't a target from the rear and without cocking it used the muzzle to push his face back out the window believing he would haul butt ! he didn't since he was so ramped up on something and said that he wasn't afraid of a gun! I told him to stay back, he looked at his companions in the other cars and decided he must do something heroic to save face (clearly they wanted no part of that six gun and weren't going to help) so he approached me again, placing his hands on the door. at that time I cocked it and watched his eyes follow his hollow point around behind the barrel and told him that if he attempted to hit me or enter my car I would shoot. still no response for a second or two until I felt the car shake a little and saw him looking at my friend in the passenger seat and then he turned sheet white and backed away and got into the car in front of me and left. I then found a police officer and turned myself in at the next town. he sent me to a parking lot, followed me in, called for backup, I laid the weapon on the seat unloaded raised both hands and surrendered. He placed my friend in the backup cruiser that had arrived and took his statement first. I was handcuffed with care and was in his passenger seat with the A/C on and the radio tuned to the station of my choosing where he left me when he returned with my gun laughing so hard he had tears rolling down his face. He said that it was the biggest handgun he had ever saw and said that my friend told him that the other guy got scared and left because " when he said that he would shoot I pulled my shirt over my head and plugged my ears because I had seen what that gun did to a possum and knew it was going to get loud and messy!" it was decided by the prosecutor to go after the other guy and NOT me because when the other guy said that he had hit me after I pulled the gun the prosecutor went to the evidence locker and instantly knew he was lying because in his 20yrs as cop on the beat in Washington D.C. he "never saw a man walk into a gun that large and punch the man holding it!" this also caused the attacker's sobriety to be called into question. I was allowed to continue on my way. They kept the gun until the trial was over. So, I became A witness FOR the state and had to prove in court that I could carry that gun under a shirt and draw it thru a button hole which I did. it was decided that when he blocked me in it was entrapment, when he hit me it was assault and battery. reaching thru the window was unlawful entering. in this state your car is the same as your house and I was within my rights to do what I did. I knew from first hand experience thru all of this that I was going to save a life by closing my eyes briefly and using shock factor of the flash and the concussion from the muzzle over his shoulder at that 6" range to take away his balance (it affects the inner ear) and everyone else's vision and hearing long enough to ram my way out of that situation and escape if I had to. there are many non lethal solutions aside from the sheer psychological effect with a larger weapon that are not available with a smaller one like turning it around holding it by the barrel and using it like Wyatt Earp! lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts