Why doesn't my laser work?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by havasu, Apr 14, 2016.

1. havasu

havasu In the army now..

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFAz7uw7DTw[/ame]

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

No no no no no! There are so many things that are wrong with that situation. But the major problem is: why is he pointing a loaded pistol at himself with his finger inside the trigger guard?! As I was watching I saw what was going to happen........why are people so stupid sometimes?
    On the other hand, I guarantee he will never make the same mistake again! The gun had quite the muzzle flash, what caliber do you think it was? My initial thoughts were a .22 but I've never seen that big of a flash. Must've been rimfire though because his hand didn't look too damaged.

Was that a range officer standing next to him? Can't tell but if it was, that just makes the whole thing worse. The guy pointed the gun at his hand twice. After the first time, the RO (assuming it was a RO) should have sternly warned him. Even if it wasn't a RO, anybody with common sense knows not to point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. Right? Oh well. Curious to see what everyone else thinks of this. Thanks for posting Havasu

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

3. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

See, people like that make the rest of us look bad. Idiot.

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^yeah, people being stupid with guns gives every gun and everyone who owns one a bad rep. Unfortunately.

5. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Wow. Don't know what else to say!

6. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

That's one of those moments you can't take back.

7. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

The moment I saw that fool severely violate Cooper's Rule #2 I KNEW he was going to shoot himself in the hand!

Do you want to know what really worries me, though? I think old people might have a tendency to, 'eliminate themselves from the herd' by doing really stupid stuff like this. Years ago two elderly men, good buddies who'd been friends for a long long time, were putting up a, 'House For Sale' sign in the middle of the grass median on a very busy, often very fast, state highway in front of my office.

As I watched them tinker with straightening and adjusting that sign, I had a feeling that something wasn't quite right. Then, all of a sudden, one of these men thought that they finally had it right, and he stepped back from the sign in order to admire their work - Right into the middle of the roadway's downhill fast lane! (Yeah, it was gruesome!) :eek:

What I find particularly disturbing is that old people seem to be more prone to these sorts of exceedingly casual, exceedingly foolish behaviors than younger ones do; and, damn it, I'm now old! Cooper's Second Rule Of Firearm Safety: 'Never allow the muzzle of a gun to point at - or, even, to so much as sweep across - anything you are unwilling to see destroyed.' If all you do is to memorize this rule, then, it's NOT going to work. Instead of being just another rule, it MUST become an everyday habit, instead. THEN it will work!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  8. gunslinger669

It's what happens when you don't use a tool everyday or often enough; like buying a chainsaw for the first time and having your neighbor show you how to use it. Unless he's an arborist, a lumberjack or uses a chainsaw daily in his job, he's the wrong guy. My uncle was a high timber man in Oregon- I can run a chainsaw, and I'll still have my hands and legs.
    He taught me the best lesson about tools I ever learned: Use your tools the way they were designed to be used and use the right tool for the job. It may take a little more time to do it right, but you'll never have to explain why it was done wrong.

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

We can recite warnings and cautionary tales until the cows come home. Near as I can tell, awareness of where the gun is pointing -the awareness - needs to reach the level of paranoia, and click on every time we even see a gun.

I wish I was there. I know I'm not, because some of my friends are. I think I used to be pretty close to that level; maybe RavenU is right. Old folks can lose track of important stuff, when their attention is on something else.

So, kids, pay attention to that geezer, even when he's blowing smoke.

10. gunslinger669

.....through the hole in his hand.

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm old, I'm so much a stickler for gun safety.....that I really irritate a lot of people around guns by giving them grief about little subtle infractions they may do.

I been handling guns for over 60 years, was taught safe handling by my grampa, aint never forgot it, and its not something I have to think about doing, its like eating, just comes natural.

Rather have em ticked off than picked off......

Jim

12. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

^ agree 100%. That's the thing about gun safety, over time it gets ingrained in you. And yeah, I've gotten on people's case before about where that muzzle is pointing. It's better to seem over-critical than to have someone get hurt! Because if you make a mistake with a gun.........well, there's no going back. My great uncle used to keep a loaded 1911 in his sock drawer. He had a few kids at the time and for whatever reason hadn't taught them gun safety. One day two of his sons found his pistol and started playing with it. The oldest son shot his younger brother in the
    head with a .45. They thought it was a toy. He has to live the rest of his life knowing that he killed his younger brother when he was only ten years old. And my great uncle has to live with the fact that he kept a loaded gun in an unsecure location without teaching his kids the seriousness of firearms. It would have been so simple.........well, I consider this family story reason enough to be a stickler for gun safety. Don't ever want to have it happen again.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

^ The stuff of nightmares.

14. EasyCZ

EasyCZ Member

Culling the herd. One dumba** at a time.

15. jeeper1

jeeper1 New Member

The problem is they are reproducing faster then they can eliminate themselves.