Why do people hate on Glocks?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Aug 5, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

When I put a Glock in hand, feels like I'm holding a 1x2 board.
    Other than that I like em just fine.....

Must be good guns, most every cop I see is armed with a Glock.

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I like them because they are safe and reliable with nothing fancy about them.
    I can tear one down, clean, lube and put it back together safely in minutes.
    I also like the triggers on them (for striker fires).
    Don't have to worry about external safeties when I'm roughhousing with the Cattle and horses.
    Did I mention they seem to always have good triggers ;) lol

4. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

I own three Glocks. Not one of them was 100% safe-to-use, or even 100% functional right out of the box. Both of my G-21's had the old #4256 trigger bars in them; and they were extremely dangerous to shoot. (Same trigger bar that blinded a Secret Service Agent on the docks in New York City back around 2005!)

Glock, GmbH/Inc. has long used the American public as, 'test guinea pigs' and test marketers for their new, untried, untested, and too often faulty pistol designs. I was on Glock Talk for more than 13 years; during that time I encountered - not dozens, but hundreds of - dissatisfied Glock pistol owners. (Including many large municipal and state police departments!) Whenever I read one of these, 'Glocks are simple and reliable' posts on an internet gun forum I can't help but be amazed by,

THE POWER OF MODERN ADVERTISING, AND THE GULLIBILITY OF THE AMERICAN PUBLIC!

If Glock pistols, their simplicity, and presumed reliability are anything, then:

GLOCK PISTOLS ARE HIGHLY INCONSISTENT - INCONSISTENT!

Some Glock pistols - like the ones I carry everyday, or the one that's sitting on the shelf over my desk right now, are, indeed, highly reliable; but others are troublesome, questionable performers. It took me almost two years in order to get my G-21's up to 100% reliability; and if two large police agencies hadn't filed a class-action lawsuit against Glock, GmbH/Inc. over their own faulty G-21's I am 100% positive that I'd never have been able to save mine!

Glock never advised me that there was a SPORADIC, but critical, flaw in my G-21s' design. THAT I had to find out for myself! What I did get was free replace.0ment parts; but only after I called in and identified myself to the factory. My now very attractive and almost completely rebuilt G-19 took almost 18 months and the additional expense of hundreds of dollars before I finally got it to the 100% reliability that it's presently yielding. Personally, I curse Glock GmbH/Inc. for cheapening up my new 9 x 19mm pistol with a damnable BTF/MIM extractor!

At one time or another, I've dealt with the service department of every major firearms manufacturer in North America. Glock, GmbH/Inc. is, by far the worst, 'I don't give a damn; and I only want your money' gun manufacturer of them all. (Yes, I know all about the free keychains, and ballpoint pens - OK!) Glock tech support has, flat out, lied to me about problems with my Glock pistols; and Glock's, 'Learn to live with it because that's all we're going to do for you!' (A verbatim quote that someone who calls himself, 'Fred' @ Glock, Smyrna once made to me!) attitude is, in my considered opinion, dishonest, reprehensible and appalling! (A, 'sign' of the times, perhaps?) ;)

If I have to I can: modify, customize, or repair a Glock pistol of almost any problem while I'm blindfolded, with one hand tied behind my back, or in my sleep. How did I learn to do this?

THE GLOCK FACTORY FORCED ME - FORCED ME - TO LEARN HOW TO REPAIR MY OWN GLOCK PISTOLS!

If I didn't know how then I wouldn't own a Glock; but I do; and, today, people often say things like, 'I don't know what you did; but that pistol you're shooting ain't no Glock!' (A CZ, USA factory gunsmith said that to me after shooting one of my Glocks!) Quite frankly, I'd rather do business with Sturm-Ruger, or Smith & Wesson a hundred times over before I'd want to deal with Glock, GmbH/Inc. even once; (and I do). ;) After 15 years with my 3 (presently well-worn, but completely rebuilt) Glock pistols the very last thing I'd call any Glock is, 'simple and reliable'.

THEY CAN BE BUT, TOO OFTEN, AREN'T!

I'm, also, certain that a lot of other less than 100% satisfied, longtime Glock owner/users, like myself, would agree. When I had a problem with a brand new Ruger SP-101, Steve Sanetti took care of it for me IN LESS THAN 3 WEEKS; and he told me that if I weren't 100% satisfied with the result then Sturm-Ruger would give me my money back - It was my choice!

(I kept the SP-101; and I love it!) :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I like mine...carry it everyday :cool:

[​IMG]

6. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Never a problem with mine.

Attached Files:

7. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

A lot of us old-timers grew up with all metal firearms, the Glock didn't look or feel right. As I used them I liked them better, but other than CCW the old revolvers & metal autos do just fine.;)

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I owned 2 Glocks. 1 was a 26 and the other was a 19. I did NOT like the trigger blade safety on them (hope my desription is correct). The blade on the 26 was so sharp that it actually started to cut my trigger finger. I tried to round it off gently with a file and eventually with a dremmell tool however I was afraid of getting it too short. I also had to send the 26 back in because it had a metal fracture on the face where the stryker is mounted. I called Peter Laing in Smyrna and he said that he had never heard of it but had me send it in. The did replace the whole upper slide assy but gave no reason for the cracking. I do NOT recommend dry firing a Glock unless you have the dummy bullets in the chamber even though to tear the pistol apart, you have to have the pistol in the fired position. Both of them were Gen 3's. Maybe they make a good pistol however I will stick to my SR1911's and feel much safer and happier.

Tommy

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Never owned, fired or even handled a Glock - but I have the impression they are close cousins to the similar looking/functioning S&W M&P, Springfield XD, and maybe even RAP 'carry' guns. I owned a S&W M&P40, didn't like it much. Some of us old geezers are set in our ways.

10. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

First time at a shooting range a friend had me shoot his almighty Glock. To funny it jammed, but Glocks are said to go bang every time. NOT!
    I bought a G27 brand new and it did not give me any malfunctions but I thought the trigger sucked and the feel of the gun just wasn't anything to get thrilled about either. Between three guns all in 40 caliber. G27, XDM 40c and a Ruger SR40c, the Glock was on the bottom of the totem pole. It had the worst recoil and trigger. I only kept the SR40C. That G27 was the first gun I ever sold and I have not for a moment regretted it.
    Chevy or Ford..........same thing with guns. I think it is funny how people brag about how great their new gun is and the next thing they say is they have a trigger kit or something else coming for it.
    I find it interesting how whatever some people have it is the greatest till they sell it, then it was such a piece of crap. I never bragged about my Glock.
    To each his own as some say.

11. hodge

hodge New Member

No hate, here. I've got three, and reluctantly love them. I always knew that they were stone-reliable and a good value, but I've always thought they were ugly. Still do, but my first, a 27 gen 3, really grew on me- it's a favorite. I've since gotten a 23 as a Christmas present from my wife, and a 30S. I am very happy with them.

12. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Gluck, Gluck! Who hates the Gluck. Well, until recently I had never owned one. . Now I have 2, an old gen 2 G-17 and gen 3 G-23. Can't say that I ever hated them cause I had never owned one. I was kinda old school like most other old guys that gruew up with metal pistols and revolvers.

Now I have 2 and both were used. No problems with them so far. But I have to admit that I haven't shot them much. Plan on getting a 30 or maybe a 36.

13. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I'm eyeballing a 36 myself Pancho! Great single stack from what I'm reading.

14. Pancho_Villa

Pancho_Villa Well-Known Member

Yep, I checked at Academy Sports a few months back. All they had was the 30 and it was just about the same as my 23. Kinda wanted something thinner. Tried the Kahr CW45. It was very light, till ya loaded it with the 6+1 rounds of .45. Kinda regretted swapping it for another 1911, but the swap was right at the time. Gonna check the 36 and compare it to the Kahr.

It's just that my LC9s is much lighter than the ones with the big hole up front. But the big hole up front makes it cool.

15. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Would love to hear your thoughts when you compare. :) So far I like the 36 because of the single stack. I'd just like something other than 9mm to carry sometimes. Although all the guys around her keep telling me that's silly because of how I shoot. Can't a girl just have variety??? ;)
    Sheesh!
    Hubby offered today to buy it for my birthday. 3 days out once ordered (none locally) then the stupid 10 day wait. So I'll get to pick it up right after our anniversary. I think I'm gunna say yes. :D

16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the Birthday and Anniversary 2xR !!

17. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

Thanks sweetie! :)

18. RonSwanson

RonSwanson New Member

Buying the brand IMHO. I think a lot of guys just like the sticker for their truck Windows. I had one, not overly impressed. Might have been a case of over hype as I was expecting to shoot the greatest gun on gods green earth. They are fine, nothing special but slightly over priced

19. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

G locks are for guys who spend a lot of time playing Call of Duty. If Glock hadn't sold them to LE below cost just to get the reputation no one would even bother. And they're just fine, but so many others are better ergonomically. But they're not any better than anything else. Just MHO, I'd just as soon have a Ruger or a Smith.