Why can't I?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by DrDenby, Jun 28, 2016.

1. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

Looked back almost 2 years and didn't see this covered.

Why can't steel cases be reloaded?

Usually when I get told "it can't be done", the first thing I do is try it.

But not with guns and expensive equipment.

So, I won't reload steel.

But I do want to know why not. And I am not getting answers that I am happy with online.

So thought I would ask the experts here.

Doc

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Steel isn't nearly as amenable to change as case brass is.

4. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Steel is too high tensile strength( kinda what VT said) to be resized time after time, and the primer pockets are tough , and primers may be crushed more often ....ask me how I know this..?:rolleyes::)

Maybe once...but get ready to toss your dies ...

Jim

5. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

I was given a bit of steel cased 45acp. Figured to just shoot it up and be done with it. But when I saw they were boxer primed I just had to try reloading them. They reloaded just fine. I lubed them heavily because I had visions of them getting stuck in the die. I loaded 35 of them and shot them out of my 1911. No issues at all.

I will not load anymore anytime soon, but if brass ever becomes hard to get, I have several hundred steel cases to fall back on.

6. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Case is steel, die is steel. I'm scared to try it. :eek:

7. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

For the amount of so called savings, I will continue to use brass. It only takes one accident to offset the potential damage that it could do. How much are your eyes, hands or face worth to save a few cents. Just MHO is all!

Tommy

9. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Everyone must be aware by now that some outfits, CCI for instance, make some ammo in aluminum cases. Don't know if it's relevant but, my machine shop experience with aluminum sheet metal is that it has a grain. Try to bend it one way it's OK, bend it the other way it may split. Split, I say.

10. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

^^ That's true about aluminum. I make brackets and stuff for motorcycles with it.
    You can only get away with bending it a certain amount and only in one direction. When you go too far, there's no going back.

Steel might be more forgiving.

A guy at the range told me about his buddy that loaded a steel case. It got stuck in the chamber of his nine after he fired it.

11. DrDenby

DrDenby New Member

I am with Tommy.

It just does not seem worth a potential risk to expensive equipment to use anything but brass.

Doc

12. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

I know pistol cases can be reloaded , I've reloaded hundreds of WWII 45 acp , they were steel cased and had a coating or plating of some type that kept them from rusting , the coating was some type of zinc, it wasn't old school galvanizing .
    Resized in Lyman A-A carbide dies , loaded with cast bullets it shot just fine. I had a buddy that liked the cases and he gave me two brass for every steel one I had.
    The only negative was they would crack sooner than brass ones and the insides of the case and any place the coating was worn would rust.
    Gary