Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , this may sound stupid, but I am serious . I have never wore anything (except for dressup) BLUEJEANS, an occasional pair of cargo kakis.

My neighbor ,up the road, wears nothing but bib overalls, he swears by them.
He says , he never wastes time pulling them up, (reseating them), never has a belt or buckle digging in, has lots of freedom of movement, (squatting , bending, climbing).

He even says they are cooler.

Ok, I admit I have never even had a pair on.
I see younger guys , in their 30s , around here wearing them.

Is it just me? They just look farmerish to me. First thing that comes to my mind ...he must be a farmer.
Hey my gramps was a farmer , and that's all I remember him wearing.

I know, I know, you probly aint gonna see too many wearing them in NY city or Chicago,

Does my neighbor have a valid point >

Should I buy a pair just to see?

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Yep as surprising as it might be{LOL} I do occasionally wear bib overalls and yes they are very comfortable. I got mine from non other than Tractor Supply for $39. Big pockets to hold guns, magazines, and other things. Flip the shoulder straps off and they drop to the floor for those old timers quick call of nature problems.
Buy them one size bigger because they do shrink. LOL No I didn't gain weight that quick either.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Mine have a zipper........

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that brings up...

I even see women wearing them around here.

just thought about it.....

they have to drop em to pee, every time.

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
They are notably cooler in summer than denim jeans - because they sort of ventilate themselves as you move around. Jim's neighbor has it right.

BTW they ain't really 'farmerish' unless you add the red kerchief.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Jim

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
X marks the spot or what?
Oh goodness you can't be without the red kerchief, that wraps around the head to keep the sweat off your forehead getting into your eyes. Farmers do things for a tried and proven reason.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I wear them for work sometimes. I find that they are hotter, not cooler. That denim on your front and back holds heat in. In the winter, they are great for wearing over long Johns because there's no waistband dragging the long Johns down and there is plenty of room in the legs. The other good thing about them is, you never have to worry about your plumber's smile showing out the back of your pants when you bend over!

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
I have carhartt coveralls. Love them.

Do they have a button or a zipper fly?

They come either way.

Now that brings up...

I even see women wearing them around here.

just thought about it.....

they have to drop em to pee, every time.

Jim

Yes and since we sit/squat (depending on where we're at ;) ) you gotta be sure to rehook the top before you go or else....... Lol!

They are notably cooler in summer than denim jeans - because they sort of ventilate themselves as you move around. Jim's neighbor has it right.

BTW they ain't really 'farmerish' unless you add the red kerchief.

I agree on the cooler. I also have insulated ones for winter.
They can look farmer but that's half the sexy factor of them ;) They can also look very hillbilly if you don't wear a shirt under ;) :D

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the sized like jeans?
I'm 6'3" tall and weigh 230 lbs.

I wear 38 x 34 jeans .

Jim

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I have carhartt coveralls. Love them.

I agree on the cooler. I also have insulated ones for winter.
They can look farmer but that's half the sexy factor of them ;) They can also look very hillbilly if you don't wear a shirt under ;) :D
Or at least skivvies. ;)

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Mine were sized according to waist and leg inseam length. IMO it is better to get them one waist size bigger than what jeans you can squeeze into. Better they are a little loose than to tight so the side buttons are easier to button. I have seen some men leave the side buttons undone but I don't care for that. I actually like mine better than jeans for working around doing whatever. Freedom oh yes freedom. LOL My belly can't push these down to where I have a crack attack showing.
The leg length on mine did shrink a bit when first washed and dried. So watch out you could end up with daisey dukes over alls.

·
AKA Rawhidekid!
1,868 Posts
I wear them, you only have to undo one side when getting them down to squat. Wore then on the farm as a boy, don't much care what other people think about me wearing them.:D

·
Registered
992 Posts
I've found that I have to buy with the waist a couple sizes bigger, and the legs a couple sizes shorter, than I do with jeans. I wear 34 inseam jeans and I tried on a pair today with 32 inch legs, and they almost covered my feet.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
I have a pair of Dickies overalls and 2 pair of overalls like the train engineers used to wear. My Dickies are for "dress" and my stripers are for working in my shop when I have to do some welding. Yes they are warmer than blue jeans but they are comfortable. All of them have the button up front so if you have to go potty in a hurry, think ahead of time, OR if you have a case of diarrhea then I suggest you think way ahead of time or don't wear them. They can cause a disaster. Of course I am speaking on what I have been told not from experience. If you believe this, I gotta bridge in Az I can sell you!!!!

Tommy

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Tommy that's why I got mine from Tractor Supply.........they have the zipper instead of the buttons. If mine had buttons I would have to do the shoulder strap drop em maneuver. Tractor Supply evidently listens to the farmers suggestions. A farmer doesn't want to be dropping nekid out in the field just to let go of some water.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts