Who knows about S&W 1911 ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Jun 3, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have my share of Rugers, love em.

Buuttttt,
    I was at my LGS yesterday just visiting.:rolleyes:

This one just caught my eye , jumped out at me, spoke to me...called to me...whatever...I hate( not really) when that happens.

I got to fondle it for a while,

Sure felt nice in my hand, reviews seem to be excellent, good lookin fellow.
    Just curious if anyone here had any experience with the newer E series S&W 1911s. From what Ive read , S&W has done a revamp on the 1911 .

[​IMG]

Jim

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Here hold this puppy. Will that be cash or charge?
    That is one good looking gun. It does catch the eye for sure.
    I am not looking at it anymore.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015

3. phideaux

I dont know anybody that owns any kind of S&W 1911.

Wish I could get some first hand input.

Yeah, dont look too long... its a curse thing ...mustyhaveit desease...:D:cool:

Idunno...might be junk.

Jim

4. hodge

hodge New Member

I've shot one S&W 1911 (not the model you are looking at), and it ran fine. The one you are looking at- it is an eye-catcher! I like the fastback grip.
    I have read that S&W's customer service leaves something to be desired, but it WAS on the internet, so it may be rubbish. I own no S&W guns, and have no experience with their customer service. But, a gun is only as good as the company that backs it- if I were looking at, I would research their customer service reputation.

5. buster40c

I found a video on it which stated they have in the past had problem with the extractor pin dropping down and could jam the slide. S&W supposedly may have fixed that problem. I have not found any other negative comments on it. Many commented it being the sexiest looking 1911 on the market. It is a sharp looking gun.
    I found quite a few vendors listing them for sale on gunwatcher.com. One like your pic was around $1150.
    Here is a good post about it. It says the pin problem was fixed.
    http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/424134-1911-e-series-info-please.html
    IMO if it is in the price range of SA or Colt or Kimber I would get the S&W.
    I had two old S&W pistols that were excellent guns even as old guns.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  6. phideaux

Thanks Buster , good read there.

I doubt if it would out shoot (more accurate) than my SA RO, but maybe as good. I dont know how you can beat 6 shots in same hole in bullseye at 20-25 yrds.

Sometimes , a gun just feels right in your hand, sweet to the eye, and may be a great shooter too.

These are the ones that come outta nowhere , that were not on your NEXT list.:rolleyes::D

I havent pulled the trigger yet.:waving::spot:

Jim

7. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Plenty of S&W E Series offered:

http://www.wikiarms.com/guns?q=S&W+1911+45
    (this is a list of links, not an offer)

But didn't find one with the fastback, or 2-tone. Without those features the gun doesn't look significantly different from an SR1911 (and is about $100 dearer).

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    That almost looks like a Les Brown conversion with (is is STI)? customizing also. With the fish scalloping and the rounded butt stock it looks as if someone had it customized. Is it new or used. Either way it would be fun to shoot and may be worth picking up if the price is right. Just MHO is all!
    Tommy

9. phideaux

They are new, part of S&W E series line of 1911s.
    My LGS has this one for $1040.00. I dont own a 1911 with 4 1/4" barrel. But, thats a lot of denero.

Jim

10. buster40c

Pretty girls usually do cost more. I will not say they always are better though.
    I have to say that is one awesome pretty 1911.
    LOL I am helping your validating buying it.

1>it is better looking than many customs
    2> it costs about at least a third price of a custom built and it probably shoots like a custom
    3> it has reviews rating it up there with quality 1911 guns
    4>it looks like it would fit your hand like it was made for your hand
    5>you know you want it
    6> Here hold this puppy and if it likes you then you can take it home with you.

11. phideaux

Your killin me...:dizzy:

I have also been thinkin about an RIA 1911 4 1/4" , ($400-500) and just having fun with it by upgrades , to my exact liking , and still spend less money.
    That could be fun, and the reviews on all the RIAs are excellent , just aint purty.

1911 --the only handgun I know that has as much after market accessories/upgrades as an AR rifle..:)

I know me though... I get the RIA suped up, and still want The S&W.:rolleyes:
    Jim

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

If you like it and money is no object then why not get it. You ain't getting no younger. If battleships sold for a nickel a dozen, I would walk on the decks and tell everyone what a bargain they are. Someone loan me a nickel:cryinglaugh:

Tommy

13. buster40c

I will give you a nickel but I will also bet you will not be able to buy anything with it.

14. phideaux

We went and looked at em... arrrrggh.. I cant make up my mind what I want to do..

Maybe let it set for a while.. see if anything hounds me to near death with no sleep..

Jim

15. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,
    I was up to Bass Pro (not my favorite spot) but my wife wanted to go there to shop. They had a pistol very, very similar to this one only it has scallops cut into the frame like a race pistol. I looked at it real close and that was the only difference I could see from your pic. Price on it was $1599.00. Bass Pro is not known for being a friendly LGS. Price means you take it or leave it. RugerSR1911's, full size were priced @ $799.00 where anywhere else they are in the $695-725.00 range. Just thought I would let you know.
    Tommy

16. buster40c

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  17. buster40c

Ok Jim here is a video that just might lean you towards the RIA 1911. Maybe save enough to maybe buy 1 RIA 1911 and 1 RIA revolver versus buying the S&W E 1911. This is a Kimber- RIA comparison but still makes one think do you really get what you pay for being worth it.
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrq8YWpmR0[/ame]

18. phideaux

Thats a darn good comparison,
    Both guns shootin great groups,

so , so, so, why would a guy spend 1200 instead of 450?

Makes ya stop and take a deep breath.... 750 more for purty.

Hmmmmm

Jim

19. buster40c

I just wonder with a little trigger work on the RIA then he might have had just as tight of groups. I was surprised at the trigger on the RIA 10mm I handled at the LGS. No it wasn't as crisp a break as my Kimber has but from what I have heard it doesn't take much to upgrade the RIA trigger either.

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Life is short...

Grab it and don't look back...

I plan on goin' with NO regrets...!!