Ruger Talk Forums banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I bought a Ruger GP100 6" Barrel in 357 Mag recently and I just love it..buying all the aftermarket stuff for it..been looking around for a Weigand no drill/tap mount for it in Germany its like looking for a needle in a haystack..and the U.S seller won't ship it to Germany as its consider a gun part :-(

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, my revolver purchase got put on the back burner as a Mossberg 930JM Pro got in the way...may attempt some local 3Gun stuff.
Leaning to the GP series at this point, had the chance to check them out at the local gun shows...really like the Match Champion version!
G.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I don't think I'm going to be able to pick just one; )
Oh I would almost bet you will not be able to stop at just one, that is just the starting point. LOL you have no idea what's ahead for you once you buy one. I am just now relapsing from my repeated stage of I wasn't going to buy anymore guns. Just bought two more revolvers. .32 Colt Police Positive Special and a .38 stainless Rossi model 88. The Rossi is pretty much a clone to the S&W. You might as well start a gun fund right now.
I would say for an all around first bought great revolver that will last a lifetime is get yourself a GP100 in .357. Beautiful and built like a Sherman tank and will not cost you an arm and a leg for great quality. You can shoot the 38 special ammo for target or plinking or carry 38+P or .357 magnum for self defense carry. I have been seeing a few used on Gunbroker for around $400.

·
Reloader54
63 Posts
I have two revolvers at this time. I have a Colt Trooper in .357mag and a Ruger Blackhawk single action in .45 Colt Long. I shoot both of them in Pistol Silhouette matches that I compete in and also run. Both are accurate out to 100 meters. I also have lever action rifles in these calibers as well that I some times also shoot in the same competitions.

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Oh I would almost bet you will not be able to stop at just one, that is just the starting point. LOL you have no idea what's ahead for you once you buy one.
Yeah, I know you're right there...the ole Lay's Potoato Chip Rule :D

·
gene814
12 Posts
I'm looking for an SP101 in 3" 357 for my wife. Found most of my friends and family can not rack the slide on pistols.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I really think the SP101 in .357 will seldom be shot by most women. Yeah the size and weight is nice but that also means a rough recoil to deal with. The SP101 trigger in double action is more than most women would want or could even pull. I had a SP101 327 which I sold and now have a GP100 MC in .357. The GP/MC is a tank/hand cannon but it sure can tame the recoil better than the SP can for sure. The GP-MC trigger though smooth IMO would still be a bit much for most women to like. The single action would probably be ok. If a woman can't hardly rack a slide on a semi auto then I bet they couldn't pull many revolver triggers in DA either. I got to shoot the Taurus Judge and I thought I needed a tow truck to pull that trigger. I would never buy one of those.
I laugh because most handguns I buy are for concealed carry and the GP100 really doesn't fill that order. I hope TX makes open carry legal then I would carry it in a western side leg holster.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I know I'm late to this party but an excellent 1st revolver would be a Security Six .357 mag with either 4" or 6" barrel. Of course collectors & shooters are starting to wake up thus driving the prices up on these sleeper revolvers. I would choose the Security Six over the GP100 because of the different lockwork which features 1 spring serving both as mainspring & trigger return spring. This makes for a smooth, light, non stacking double action trigger pull, also shared by it's bigger offspring, the Redhawk.

·
Registered
407 Posts
that is a tough one, I guess it depends on your needs/intended use as stated above.

If I were starting from scratch with no revolvers in my collection I would probably get the Super Redhawk in .44 Magnum

·
Registered
285 Posts
I happen to think that a GP100 or SP101 in .38 is the best self-defense revolver. The .38 special round is a lot more mannerly than the .357 and is more than adequate for self-defense purposes.

Either the SP101 or GP100 is an outstanding handgun.

·
Registered
61 Posts
You're absolutely right and the Blackhawk is a nice revolver, I've had several, but telling us that you can shoot .38s in a .357 here in a gun forum is kind of like saying you can save 15% or more in just 15 minutes by switching auto insurance LOL! Seriously I still have a Super Blackhawk & love it but my all time favorite revolver for me personally is none other than my .41 mag Redhawk! I've had it for YEARS, personally hand fitted & tuned it myself, VERY accurate with my ol homemade hardcast bullets, have shot plumb through a mature bull elk length wise with 1 of them, and it only has a reliable 5.5# DA trigger pull!

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
GP100, S.Six, Blackhawk, SP101, or other....... Your choice.

I have shot my .357 Blackhawk so much that the top strap is showing cutting from all the magnum loads fired over the last 37 years.

It's still my favorite revolver. I gave it a 40oz Wolf trigger spring. The trigger gets better all the time.

Don't think you could go wrong with a GP100 or even an old Security Six, Service Six or Speed Six. Grip selection for the Speed may be limited?

The wife had a SP101 2.25" barrel in .357. It makes for a good little shooter but the trigger pull got to be too much for her.

Then they make the ultra lightweight aluminum/polymer models. Those should last well for the intended purpose.

I can not wear out my Blackhawk.......... Not sure a guy is going to say that about his aluminum in 37 years!

But then again, you might wear out your hand long before you do the gun. So.........Your choice.

·
Banned
475 Posts
I really think the SP101 in .357 will seldom be shot by most women. Yeah the size and weight is nice but that also means a rough recoil to deal with. The SP101 trigger in double action is more than most women would want or could even pull. I had a SP101 327 which I sold and now have a GP100 MC in .357. The GP/MC is a tank/hand cannon but it sure can tame the recoil better than the SP can for sure. The GP-MC trigger though smooth IMO would still be a bit much for most women to like. The single action would probably be ok. If a woman can't hardly rack a slide on a semi auto then I bet they couldn't pull many revolver triggers in DA either. I got to shoot the Taurus Judge and I thought I needed a tow truck to pull that trigger. I would never buy one of those.
I laugh because most handguns I buy are for concealed carry and the GP100 really doesn't fill that order. I hope TX makes open carry legal then I would carry it in a western side leg holster.[/
Install a 9# hammer spring and an 8# trigger spring, and a bit of polishing. My wife shoots both .357 and .38 special with no problems. She does have the Wiley Clapp version....................

·
Registered
61 Posts
Be SURE & choose the .357 version of LCR if she wants 1. It not only offers the option of more powerful deadlier rounds, but it's physical weight will help with recoil, even with .38s.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts