Ruger Talk Forums banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Some great p0rn in this thread!! I have to say that the LCRx is sure looking good, but I am going to wait for a .22 mag version to come out :)

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What's the difference between the SP & GP lines.

See that they are very similar...
What's the advantages of one or the other.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ruger LCR .357 Magnum with the Hogue grips (Like the option to use .38 or the magnum rounds)

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Got the chance to handle both the GP and SP versions at the local gunshow over the weekend...I like the fit of the GP versions better for my hand size...also picked up a Blackhawk(?) I believe...nice as well!

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Well I just purchased both the GP100 Match Champion and a SP101 22LR......I will do pics later in the week when they come in....

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Thanks....it killed my savings. I am excited about both......

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I picked up some more ammo this weekend....that'll have to do for now.

·
Marine2541
16 Posts
Like my underwear: Depends!

There is a lot I don't know about you to answer this question. allow me to extrapolate:
- What guns do you already own? Is this your first gun, or your first Ruger?
-What do you want to do with it? carry, plink, range time, compete, home defense? There are many Rugers that fit different niches
- Are you large or small framed? What gun fits your hand....points well.
- Are you interested in a revolver or a semi automatic pistol?.
- Are you new to gun ownership? Experience makes a difference as to what "Ruger" should go home with you.
- You should always consider ammunition availability.
- Are you recoil sensitive?
- Are you weak in the hands, as to not be able to rack a semi-auto easily?

Ok! Now that I got you thinking, Let me boil this down somewhat.

most important! is this your first gun?
If it is, I'd select a revolver. Ruger is primo revolver maker. They are single pieces of metal milled into configuration. They are rugged and will last a lifetime.
i'd consider a Gp100 .357 magnum with a four inch barrel. And when you get it, I'd send it to Impact Guns to Terry for a trigger polishing job. The already excellent trigger will be like butter. Look up trigger job on Nut'n Fancy on You Tube. With a .357 you can shoot 38 specials, 38 +P, or .357. You will always find ammo!
If you are a new shooter, I'd get a 22 LR in the revolver or Mark III series and take a few lessons to get started.

carry: LCP, LC9, New 380, LCR .38, LCR ..357, LCR 22 WMR
plink: Mark Series 22 LR, 22 LR revolvers
home Defense: Gp 100, SR9
Hunting: Red Hawk, Black Hawk, Mark III series
carry practice: LCR 22 LR

It all depends what floats your boat. I favor revolvers, so I own The Wiley Clapp, blue, Gp100, The LCR .357 mag and 22 WMR (Texas reload), and a Mark III stainless Hunter for plinking and range fun. I hope this helps you decide what gun is the "better" Ruger for you.:dizzy:

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Thanks Blaze.....it was a deal I could not refuse. :D

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Thanks Blaze.....it was a deal I could not refuse. :D

Now u need the .357 SP101 that matches the .22. And you will have great collection. Oh and of course a sp101 2.25

I'm envious you already gotten a match champion. I hope it lives up to the hype and I look forward to your report

·
SR40 / RAP9mm
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I've already got an SR40, a Shield...the Mrs has an FNS9 and a PT709...just looking at adding a revolver or two to the "arsenal".
The GP series and possibly an LCR is the way I'm leaning toward at this point. But the cowboy action stuff looks interesting as well...so may have to check out the options in that relm as well.
I'd like the LCR as another smaller backup/ summer carry and the larger GP for more home situations.
Thanks for all the comments!
Gene

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
Now u need the .357 SP101 that matches the .22. And you will have great collection. Oh and of course a sp101 2.25

I'm envious you already gotten a match champion. I hope it lives up to the hype and I look forward to your report
Thanks so much Blaze....I already have a SP101 357.. with the 2.25 barrel. I am super excited about having a GP100....When I seen the Match Champion....I just had to have it....:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,254 Posts
Thanks so much Blaze....I already have a SP101 357.. with the 2.25 barrel. I am super excited about having a GP100....When I seen the Match Champion....I just had to have it....:cool:

Yes the MC just looks like one great pistol. Can't wait to get my hands on one

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think that I am going to spring for a Match Champion if and when they become available in Occupied California. Meanwhile I can only read the posts about the MC from FA (Free America). So please keep them coming!

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
At least for my wife (and I agree with this), her first revolver was a SP-101 in .22 Hefty DA trigger pull for her small hands, but she has been doing hand and finger exercising to make that easier.

Fantastic fiber sights standard on it, and she likes the overall clean lines of that model, so much that she wants to add a 38 SP101 to her safe.

I gave the SP a higher suggestion that a single six, primarily because of the DA/SA capability, although a single six is an excellent entry firearm too.

/eddie

·
Registered
10 Posts
With all the great reviews on the LCR 357 I purchased one
But quickly found out this light weigh made the area between the gun hand thumb and index finger sore even shooting 38 SPL at the range plus we did not shoot it as well as we wanted so we dumped it and got an SP101 with the 3 inch barrel. Now no sore thumb plus we shoot it much better than the LCR. It's now one of our CCW pieces in a Stoner 415 holster or a house gun.

With the 3 inch barrel it's a good all around gun for range, ccw or house.

·
Registered
14 Posts
With all the great reviews on the LCR 357 I purchased one
But quickly found out this light weigh made the area between the gun hand thumb and index finger sore even shooting 38 SPL at the range plus we did not shoot it as well as we wanted so we dumped it and got an SP101 with the 3 inch barrel. Now no sore thumb plus we shoot it much better than the LCR. It's now one of our CCW pieces in a Stoner 415 holster or a house gun.

With the 3 inch barrel it's a good all around gun for range, ccw or house.
I carry a LCR 38 daily. I shoot it well and it carries very easy. But I do want to get a SP101 when I can afford one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Guess it depends on the owner had the 38 and got rid of it like my 357 better have had no problem with sore hand at all

41 - 60 of 81 Posts