Which Ruger Revolver.....

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by flashback, Oct 28, 2013.

1. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

If you were looking for your first Ruger revolver which would you purchase and why?

Looking at picking up a revolver to add to the "arsenal" just because :)

Gene

2. bikeride4fun

bikeride4fun NRA Benefactor Member

I too have just started to add some revolvers to my collection. My first was the SP101 357, great little revolver that can shoot 357 and 38 special.....and it just looks cool. Then I got a 44 mag Super Blackhawk...( Cowboy Gun )....this gun is nasty....a handful to shoot. I believe my next revolver is going to be the 22lr LCR.....the more I shoot revolvers the more I like them....

3. 00b5

00b5 Member

Blackhawk convertible. 3 different calibers in one gun. 357/38 and 9mm. Bought mine in 1974 and it is still shooting just fine. It seems that even all through the ammo shortage I was always able to find at least one of the calibers. Mine has always been extremely accurate and being stainless steel, it has survived inspite of my neglect in the past.:eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  4. OldTexan

OldTexan New Member

GP100 in 357 Magnum is far and away my 1st choice. I prefer the 6" barrel but the 4" is a fine gun. Really a fun gun to shoot and very accurate. I prefer a double action revolver with swing out cylinder.

The SP100 is just too small in my opinion, but it's a personal choice. To me they aren't as smooth shooting as the GP100 plus more felt recoil. Again just a personal opinion.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  5. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

My ideal first revolver is one that I passed over at the LGS like an idiot. A pre "warning label" Security Six with factory 3 inch barrel. Tight, smooth and cheap. <...sigh...>

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Code:

An LCR might be a choice for ya,
    Mine in .38 is VERY accurate, and without a doubt , the best DA trigger .
    13.5 oz.

You know you can get em in .22LR, .22Mag, .38 , and .357 mag.

[​IMG]

Jim

7. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Thanks for the recommendations...some great info to ponder!
    Gene

8. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Ruger Blackhawk, convertable, 45 Colt / 45 A.C.P. cylinders, 4 5/8 inch barrel.
    In the Blackhawk the 45 Colt can be loaded to very respectable velocities with heavy bullets. Quite suitable for hunting. In 45 acp, accurate loads can be loaded with Bullseye and 200 gr. cast swc's for economical loads for plinking and target shooting....whats not to like here?

Gary

9. rockratt

rockratt New Member

I love Redhawks!! 44 mag. Have owned one of some form or fashion since I was 18. If I ever run across and Alaskan will probably add another to the collection. Once again would prefer it to be 44 but am not going to be picky about the caliber. Also have a single six which is a great plinking gun.:)

10. DDubya

DDubya Member

You don't give us the intended use for the gun. Is it for plinking, competition, self defense, hunting? For general use I would go with a Blackhawk Convertible in .357/9mm. You can shoot .38 Special, 9mm, and .357 Magnum rounds out of one gun for maximum versatility. In most states that allow using a handgun for deer hunting, the .357 Mag is accepted although in my opinion a bit on the light side for a clean one shot kill.

If you're looking for something for self defense, then the SP101 in .357 mag and a 4" barrel is a good choice. It's getting a bit big but can be concealed. Plenty of power for two legged vermin.

Someone else mentioned the Blackhawk convertible in .45LC/.45ACP. Also a good combination but a bit ammo is a bit spendy. This is a good choice if you handload.

11. Twodollarpistol

Twodollarpistol New Member

Well, my first was a 4" security six that my son still has and I was never disapointed in any way. Even killed a deer with it once.
    So I guess today I would go with the GP100 4". That is if I couldnt find another nice security six. I love them and you cant go wrong with a .357
    TDP

12. mark

mark Member

When it comes to Ruger handguns, I have been the route. As of lately I am hung up on a SS Bearcat. Not my only Bearcat, but top of my list at this time. Must be the challange. Love plinking,both short ,and long range.
    I have not seen anything about Bearcats on this forum. Much cheaper to shoot than the big ones, and uses less ammo than the Mark Is and IIs.

13. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

I agree with OldTexan...A GP-100 is a great choice. You have options...single/double action....38/.357...rugged...indestructible...;)

[​IMG]

14. steadyshot

steadyshot New Member

Well, you do have a wide variety to choose from when it comes to Ruger revolvers.

All are nice, but different none the less. I own several myself.

The first one I would like to talk about is the GP100. I have one in 357 with a 5" stainless steel barrel. It's a great gun at the range as well as for home protection. In my opinion, the GP100 is Ruger's flagship revolver and should be the cornerstone to any Ruger gun collection.

[​IMG]

The Ruger Blackhawk in .357 is another one of my favorites. I have one in 357 with a stainless steel 4"barrel and hardwood grips.

It has a crisp single action trigger and is a lot of fun at the range as well. It can be used for Cowboy shooting events if you ever get interested in that. It too is an excellent firearm for home defense as well.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps you would be more interested in a CCW?

I have a Ruger LCR in 38spl. It's light, reliable and has decent accuracy up to 15 yards.

In my opinion, the .357 cartridge is too much for the light weight snob nose LCR. Where as regular 38spl loads have about as much recoil as you can handle in such a light revolver.

Never the less, a fine weapon for CC....

[​IMG]

15. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Amen to the Blackhawk in .45 Colt...

[​IMG]

16. Twodollarpistol

Man that is a beautiful rig. Love the pstol but the grips and holster really make it special. May I ask where you got the holster and/or who made it? Really outstanding outfit.
    TDP

17. KMO

KMO Northern Arizona

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  18. Twodollarpistol

19. flashback

flashback SR40 / RAP9mm

Really like the looks/versatility of that GP100 and for a smaller option the LCR looks to be the ticket....have looked into the Cowboy action a bit and it seems the Ruger Vaquero is a popular choice for that but not mentioned here (unless I missed it)...thanks for the input folks!!!
    Gene

20. BamaFan

BamaFan New Member

I will throw a GP100 and a New Model Super Blackhawk 44mag in here as well. Definitely two of my favorite guns. Had an LCR 357 but sold it, unfortunately.

Attached Files: