Which Lubricants / Preservatives do YOU use...

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by SHOOTER13, Jan 19, 2013.

1. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

2. c01

c01 New Member

I use Ballistol on pretty much everthing. Hickok 45 turned me on to it. It seems to work well. I have been kicking around the idea of Mobil 1 at some point. Just to try. Before that, anything that was a lube.

3. JimA

JimA New Member

My wife is very sensitive to solvent smells so I have had to adapt to that. I use a product called Gunzilla to clean my guns with and I'm pretty happy with it. It is a plant based clp that works very well without stinking up the house. I know, the smell of Hoppes #9 is like cologne to me too, but it ain't gonna fly at home. :( The Gunzilla is a good lube too. You can wipe it off so it feels dry and it still is slick. I use it on my pocket pistol (Kahr P380) to keep from picking up lint and crud. I also use a tiny bit of Gun Butter on the slides of my pistols.
    I don't do anything special for storage because all my blasters get fondled frequently.:D

4. threetango

threetango Special Dance Instructor

5. OLDBRASS

OLDBRASS New Member

plain old hoppes gun oil

6. Teddybear

Teddybear New Member

Hoppe's and Breakfree has always worked for me

7. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

Never had a problem with Break Free.

8. mark1945

mark1945 New Member

Hoppes and Break Free are all I use too.

9. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

I was recently introduced to Break Free Bore Cleaning Foam (BCF) and love this stuff, its a miracle worker.

For oils I've been a long time fan of zero friction and gun shield. I have used gun butter a couple times too, but I've not used it enough to be a convert yet.

I've heard nothing but the best reviews on frog lube, but no one sells it locally, and I clean with carb cleaner or occasionally brake cleaner which would strip off the frog lube and I hear the best part of frog lube is the continued build up of it is its best quality.

10. bhale187

bhale187 New Member

You might try frog lube, I hear it smells like mint.

11. LT2108

LT2108 Moderator Staff Member

Personally I use breakfree CLP !

12. leecabana

leecabana New Member

I use Ballistol long with Slide Glide on a few key areas.

13. jrc

jrc New Member

Breakfree left white residue on the frame of my P95. Was a pain to get off. Don't care for it personally.

Clean with Hoppes #9 - synthetic bearing grease on the rails and hammer block, very lightly applied with a small paintbrush and Mobile 1 on everything else.

14. phideaux

phideaux Active Member

I use Breakfree CLP , Rem Oil, and Mobil 1,
    CLP only in the bore when stored, with external wipe down using Mobil 1 or Rem Oil.

Never had a problem .

Jim

15. protoolman

protoolman New Member

Browning Microfine gun oil. Also used Marbles gun oils in the past. Both seem to do fine.

16. REDTAIL

REDTAIL New Member

Tried them all over the years,At one time or another. Some Frizzed up my rifles during a cold winter's Deer Hunting. Costing me the shot & the Hunt.? Since then I have tried & used only these two Lub Products & nothing else with great success, Even in the frigid Weather. EEZOX which Lub's, Cleans, Fight's Rust etc. & Any parts that needs any Grease on them,? I use Brian Enos Slide- Guide. both of these products have worked on all of my firearms & fishing Gear etc. And I still say " If it's not Broke,? Why fix it.?" But after reading multiple articles on different Forums about the success of using Mobil 1. I am tempted to give it a try on some of my Hand Guns. :cool: :D

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  17. colin1230

colin1230 New Member

Ballistol is what I use thanks to Hickok45. If it's good enough for his Glock's it's good enough for mine.

18. captaincarl23

captaincarl23 New Member

Militec-1 in guns, cars, motorcycle.

19. Gwgw60

Gwgw60 New Member

Hoppes #9 for bore cleaning, Breakfree CLP for general cleaning, and Mili-Tec for lubrication

20. cicpup

cicpup New Member

Rem Oil until something better comes along.