Ruger Talk Forums banner

Which is best: 9mm, .40 or .45?

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Blkhawk73 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Having shot all three I can honestly say the 9mm is the more comfortable to shoot. I can shoot it all day and my hand won't be sore the next day as with the 1911 or my wrist with the snappy 40 S&W. My favorite bullet weight with the 40 was the 165 grain. My best friend who is 10 years my junior has just switched from 45 to 9mm because of the sore hand the next day also. He was a stout Kimber advocate until then. Just my $ .02 worth.

#4 · (Edited)
The best caliber is what works best for you. They all have their pros and cons. Chevy...Ford .....Chrysler. Never ending dispute in ammo caliber is the same thing. Shot placement means more than any caliber difference. Sometimes a poorly placed 22 can even be lethal as it travels and bounces inside the body.
Personally I would rather shoot 45 than 380 or 9mm. For me the 45 is more of a push than a flip and I have less hand discomfort.
41....44.....50 no thanks as I don't handle hand cannons very well.

#5 ·
It's funny. The handguns I have and consider my favorite top 5 are in fact all different calibers. 1) 357mag , 2) 44mag 3) 45acp 4) 40s&w 5) 9mm

That being said, sore hand limits the 44mag quite a bit. I rarely take more than 12 shots with it at any given range trip.

The rest I still do not have really any trouble with yet. I suppose it is only a matter of time before I do though.

I guess it is the nature of handguns that they eventually exacerbate arthritis and other muscle problems, but dang it, shooting is just too fun to give up.

Doc

#7 · (Edited)
We could start a good old fashioned bar fight over this one.

The fact is none of the three are good enough.

Even the .44 Mag would require a perfect or near perfect shot (or shots) to stop a crazed attacker.
There are guys that claim they could do just that while under the stress of ..... No Telling What.
I'm not one of them.

So like I've said before, a sidearm is just what you use to fight your way to a long gun.

Which caliber is the best?
The one that allows enough rounds to last you till you can get to your shotgun or rifle. ;)

#10 ·
I mainly carry the .40,never owned a 9mm,but my favorite handgun caliber is the 44 mag. Been shooting it for 25 years and never had a sore hand. Now the 35 Rem. out of my Contender is a different story,have had it bother me once in awhile but not often and due to being caught my the hammer,not the recoil itself. But I don't shoot any for hundreds of rounds at a sitting,usually no more than 50.

#12 ·
I agree with Buster. The best round is the one that you can handle safely and effectively. My selection is the .45 caliber. A 9mm is a good round as far a recoil goes however I have more confidence in the big fat bullet of a .45. Point being, shot placement is of the most vital importance. I shoot on a weekly basis with my .45 LW Ruger SR1911 and I don't experience any sore hands. I do use Pachmyr grips on all of my .45's due to the fact that I have long fingers and and the grips is a little "fatter" which helps absorb some of the recoil. I can understand Allen's point with his injuries and if he feels safe and confident with a 9mm, then more power to him. I think this is a decision that is up to the individual and the confidence they have in what they carry. Under Allen's suggestion I have been doing research on the Underwood 120gn bullet, I must admit I find it intriguing. I have not yet the resources to try it as they are somewhat expensive, however when I do get the money I am going to try a couple of boxes. I don't think there is a perfect pistol, a one size fits all. Pick one that fits you, fire it, get used to it and then make your decision. Some ranges have rentals so that gives you the chance to fire it and see if it intrigues you. Of course, this is just MY opinion and I try not to influence anyone on their choice.

Tommy

#13 ·
I've never owned a 45. Probably won't, until I buy a 1911. I prefer a little more capacity than the 45 can offer.
My favorite of the three? .357 magnum [emoji6]

#18 ·
You have to shoot enough guns to determine what gun and you fit together. What can I afford? What is comfortable to shoot? What am I most accurate with? What can I conceal the easiest? And the question go on and on.
I carry a LCP pocket carry in the summer and a LC9s IWB in the winter. Now there are always a occasional change depending on one of a hundred things that change in daily life.

Best of luck !!!!!!!

#19 ·
Ok, guys, the OP, didn't ask about the best to carry or conceal.....
But if that's where we are going, outta the three choices...45 acp.

LUV,

Jim:)

#21 ·
The best caliber is what works best for you. They all have their pros and cons. Chevy...Ford .....Chrysler. Never ending dispute in ammo caliber is the same thing. Shot placement means more than any caliber difference. Sometimes a poorly placed 22 can even be lethal as it travels and bounces inside the body.
Personally I would rather shoot 45 than 380 or 9mm. For me the 45 is more of a push than a flip and I have less hand discomfort.
41....44.....50 no thanks as I don't handle hand cannons very well.

My first thought too were a Ford, Chevy, thing. :Colt: This is an age old debate that'll go one for another era. Those sing the 9mm flag will agree to those with the .40 flag, etc, etc... Go with what work best for YOU and YOUR needs not what everyone else claims or try to portray as the best or coolest (I don't doubt for a sec, some choose bigger just for the "badass" effect :rolleyes:)
When the .40 S&W first came out I was all for it. A happy medium between the 9mm and the .45acp. Later I found myself less of a fan and more so of the 9mm. Some of that was due to the shootability, some for the platforms. Now, a few years later I find myself also favoring the 38 special some too.
I'd put a LOT more weight on what I could effectively shoot better from a given platform than what is coming out the muzzle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.