Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to shoot my new 10/22 for the first time today.
The trigger is just plain unacceptable (to me).
I am use to air rifles with a trigger pull of 4 to 6 ounces.

Should I throw good money after bad and invest in a aftermarket trigger
or just cut my losses and get a different gun(bolt action single shot)?
These custom triggers cost as much as I paid for the gun!

I want to shoot small groups at 100 yards.

If I decide to get a custom trigger, which one?
Jard, Timney, Volquartsen or one I haven't found yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kidd seems to get the best reviews.
I am planning on getting one soon.

I have several of their other 10/22 parts and they are super high quality and customer service is fantastic.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined, & know how to polish & reduce sear engagement VERY carefully & VERY slightly, without changing any angles, you can help your trigger a TON just by modifying the factory parts with the exception of a spring kit. PM me if you're interested in learning how. I USED to do 10/22 trigger groups but don't any more. I've probably done a few hundred or more before I was forced to medically retire & give up my shop.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have both Kidd and VQ drop in triggers on my various 10/22s and I cannot tell much or any difference between the two. Both are huge improvements over the stock trigger.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Try one of Rugers new BX trigger groups they can had for $80.00 and are every. It as good as Kidd or Voq, IMHO
I cannot wait to try out one of these triggers. At $80 it seems like a really good deal if the trigger is about as good as the VQ or Kidd trigger groups.

Maybe I'll have to buy another 10/22 in order to have an excuse to buy the Ruger trigger group. :eek:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just installed a new Ruger BX trigger in my 10-22. Pretty easy 'drop in' installation and new trigger very smooth...as advertised. Too much snow on the range to try it out yet. :(

·
NRA Benefactor Member
1,345 Posts
I have installed a BX-25 trigger in my Charger and my I-Tac, for the money.........hard to beat...

·
Registered
436 Posts

First...what's the rest of the gun? Putting a top level trigger on an otherwise factory set will gain little. You say you want small groups at 100yds... well, not impossible but I'm guessing your expectations aren't going to be met with just a simple trigger change on an otherwise factory gun.
That said... With 20 or so builds behind be, I'll give suggestions from experience with a variety of options. One can get a lot of improvements without spending a lot of money. Too many always seem to equate spending $$$ with the result automatically being better. Not necessarily. Ex: Have gotten a better result in a couple DIY trigger kits than with the VQ Tg2000. Frilly an fancy with a fashionable name but results impress more than the brand.
What level of performance are you after? At a very early stage, the improvements become fractionally time, and even then it's a full package not just a single component. Barrel, trigger, assembly (bedding, etc), optics, ammo, shooter...it's a full package working together. Having a top level trigger and a mid level barrel...kinda lie using audiophile quality speakers on a Radio Shack Realistic brand receiver. ;)

Anyways...the original question was just on a trigger...personally, unless you were to go all top-level, I'd go with either a Kidd trigger kit or a Power Custom adj sear kit. The later has yielded me lighter results - a 5 squeeze ave of less than #2. :)

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
It's hard to believe but years ago I had a couple of 10/22 Ruger rifles and they shot fantastically! I believe it depends on what type of accuracy you are trying to achieve. If you are punching paper, then you can spend a s***pot load of money on upgrades. However if you are shooting metal targets or silhouettes then that's a different story. Every .22 will shot different. I have a Remington 541S with a 4x Weaver 50th anniversary scope that I bought 30 years ago. You can look up a 541S for the details as they are no longer made, but we shot silhouettes @100 yrds and used to punch paper @ 50yrds. A buddy of mine built a heavy barrel 10/22 Ruger, did a trigger job, glass bedded it and I could still outshoot him. I was much younger then however I had a stock 10/22 and it shot fine. You just have to adjust to the trigger and your rifle hold and I really feel, you can shoot better than you might think. Of course, this is MHO only but give it time and another try.
Tommy

·
Patriot
2,160 Posts
Went out to shoot my new 10/22 for the first time today.
The trigger is just plain unacceptable (to me).
I am use to air rifles with a trigger pull of 4 to 6 ounces.

Check out Clarks Custom Guns in LA. They have kits for cheap compared to what other makers complete assemblys sell for. Down side is you gotta install the parts. It comes with an over-travel adjustment screw in the trigger. I have what they call the standard kit. I really like it,crisp and light. Last I checked they also offered a deluxe kit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ran a few mags through the 10/22 with new BX-25 trigger and very pleased with results. Smoother, lighter pull and good target groups. Worthwhile upgrade to a classic rifle. (Did I mention, easy to install?)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you ever shoot a Ruger with a trigger job done by Clark Custom Guns you will never be satisfied with anything else.
I have a MKII worked over by them and shooting it is such a pleasure, worth every penny!
Gary

·
Registered
61 Posts
I usually totally rework my own personal triggers to a safe, reliable 1.5#, and customers' firearms to 2.5#-3# minimum. Of course that includes properly adjusted takeup and overtravel, among other things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ruger Triggers?

Recently tested the trigger pull on my small collection and was pleasantly surprised to find the new BX upgrade for my 10/22 came in at 2.15#. And even more surprised at 2.3# for the factory Mark III. (Full disclosure: I did modify the MkIII with a Tankem Kross hammer bushing but did not know it would improve the pull?) Is Ruger known for its triggers or are these results pretty common?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Recently tested the trigger pull on my small collection and was pleasantly surprised to find the new BX upgrade for my 10/22 came in at 2.15#. And even more surprised at 2.3# for the factory Mark III. (Full disclosure: I did modify the MkIII with a Tankem Kross hammer bushing but did not know it would improve the pull?) Is Ruger known for its triggers or are these results pretty common?
Great info, Oyster. I have not tried the BX trigger but great to know your findings.

In my opinion the stock triggers on the Mark pistols are pretty good out of the box. I replaced one with the VQ upgrade kit and it is even sweeter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts