Which came first the egg or chicken

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by buster40c, Jun 2, 2015.

1. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I am wondering if within the coming months we will see a push for people to be immunized for some form of bird flu possibly being transmitted to humans. Millions of chickens in CAFO farms have died and it is said to be the H5N2 bird flu causing it. Yet free roaming chickens are not getting it. Something is up and watch and see if possibly news will start implanting fear in people.
    Already reports of egg shortages so get ready for egg prices to crack open. No doubt 10lb. bags of chicken quarters for .$89 a pound will be getting a robust price adjustment.
    Maybe I should build a chicken coop.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey, they gotta keep all them employees at the CDC on the payroll, and dont forget them struggling pharmaceautical companies,...they need more of our money too..

Yeah , KFC will probly cost more than Outback Steakhouse now, :rolleyes:

Jim

3. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I'll send you some chickens :) We have plenty :)

4. phideaux

Hey, I just seen on the news, they have found the bird flu in Ky.

Now thats bad , if the Colonel gets hit , KFC may be a thing of the past.:eek:

Ive had chickens for 20 yrs, every time I get a big herd of em, the coons, and yotes wipe em out.:rolleyes:

I give up .

Jim

5. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

You guys are way more up to date than me right now! Lol!
    Eat beef instead

6. buster40c

The man I get my eggs from has also been wiped out twice. His chickens were more free roaming till the hawks and whatever got them. His chickens being more free roaming were the best eggs for taste than people keeping their chickens in smaller closed in fencing pens.
    I had guineas till something got them so I doubt I could let chickens free roam.
    Jim with all your guns you couldn't take care of them coons and yotes? People around here have Great Pyrenees dogs to keep out predators. It is also said having donkeys works good for keeping out yotes. But they say donkeys have killed more than a few people also.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  7. phideaux

LOL, I got my share of them varmints, but dang they're smarter than me. 22-250 at 3000fps , blows em up nicely.;)

My hens have always been free roam in daytime and locked up at night, great eggs. But the varmints find a way.

I had 40 guieneas, at one time, coyotes took me down to 10, those 10 walked off the farm one day, and were spotted 10 miles from home, 5 lavenders 5 regulars, so I know they were mine.

The Amish told me they wont stay at home, they're from Africa and are not truly domesticated.
    But man , did they clear out the ticks.

I wonder if the topic here...bird flu...would infect guineas..:confused:

Jim

8. buster40c

Yep the reason I got my guineas was because the ticks were sucking my dogs real bad. I could lay a sheet on the ground and watch the ticks come across the sheet to get to me. The guineas took care of the tick problem for sure.
    Guineas usually are very territorial. My last male stayed around till I got my dog. Then my last guinea went up the street to where there was huge harem of them.

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I used to hate guineas because when I was a kid I would try to sneak home late at night and the guineas would raise hell and wake up my Grandma who would fake sleeping. Then next morning she would ask me what time I got home. I couldn't lie!
    Tommy

10. phideaux

Yep, I had forgot what good watch dogs they were....noisy buggers.

Hey, ya never seen one laying on the road dead either,
    You couldnt run over one with a car if ya tried.:)

odd little critters ..

Jim

11. buster40c

The female guineas never shut up. You have a bunch of them then get ready for constant racket from the females. Yep they make excellent watch dogs. And yes they can run fast. My male would give my dog a good run for the money. I did notice not all guineas fly. If a new brood are not around fliers or tree nesters then they more than likely will not grow up able to fly.
    If you have a sliding glass door then expect to have poop there. Guineas like looking at themselves in the door reflection and they don't bother to leave to poop.

Attached Files:

12. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Now here is a guy who knows his s**t!
    Tommy:cryinglaugh:

13. buster40c

Geeze for some reason I feel like Tommy was around.
    It depends on who is talking. Some say I don't know s...t.