What's your experience with Taurus?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by SavageGuy, Feb 26, 2016.

1. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Alright, I'm gonna ask the question: is Taurus absolutely junk, or are they a decent budget gun? I'm mainly targeting this question towards their revolvers, the bigger framed ones like the 66 and tracker series. Opinions/experience with the company in general is also welcome!

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I read some saying a Taurus was a hit or miss as far as quality goes. I didn't think I would buy any Taurus but after reading about the Taurus 9mm model 92a I bought one and it is very accurate and goes bang every time. For the price I got a gun that performs as well as guns a lot more expensive.
    IMO it is best to read the reviews on the model Taurus you are interested in. I have heard both ends of the spectrum. Taurus did just lose a lawsuit concerning the safety defects on some of their semi autos. they had a big recall so I heard. Some love them and some thought they were junk. That sounds familiar on many gun brands though. If Taurus is junk then it is a wonder how many guns they still are selling instead of going out of business.
    I have read reports that some of their revolvers have had problems with cylinders cracking and going out of time. There again is that a common problem effecting several models or is it more with the larger caliber magnums?
    I have two Rossi 38 spl. revolvers that are around 30 years old and they both have been really quality guns. Taurus now basically owns Rossi.
    PS: I forgot to mention the Taurus Judge. If someone gave me one I would sell it because the trigger royally sucks. I thought there was some kind of a safety on when I tried pulling the trigger. I thought I needed a tow truck to pull that trigger. The local gunsmith says he has done quite a few trigger jobs on them.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016

3. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

I also have a 92 that I've had for 20 years- still shoots well, and also a .357 ported 4" that gets the job done. Fit and finish is great on both guns, triggers could be better, but I'm not complaining.

4. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I've owned a few and never had issues with them. It seems there's a sort of stereotype placed on them because of some quality issues with some early models. In this market and sue-happy society, liabilities of garbage firearms would destroy a manufacturer almost as quickly as inferior products would. Still, thank the internet for spreading the negative by people that have absolutely zero experience and just go off "what I heard" and other wonderful sources of factual info. ;) For the $ they're decent but I know for myself, I'd rather spend a bit more and get a product with a stronger and more slid background of product quality.

5. cgor

cgor New Member

I have a Taurus Tracker that shoots 22 longs and magnums, I have had this for about 2 years and bought it brand new. This has been a great shooting revolver and also very accurate as well.

6. AndyRexia

AndyRexia Member

I have a Taurus Tracker in 44 magnum. It was given to me as a gift by my father in 2006 and it was purchased new. I have shot it but not a whole lot because the ammo is expensive and its a cannon. Around 2011-2012 the cylinder stop (I might be calling it the wrong name) up and disappeared causing the revolver to stop working. I'm not sure if the spring came out or if the stop came out but needless to say the revolver became a paperweight. It was a very cheap fix which my gunsmith friend was able to perform. I still don't know how it happened. Other than that I've had no problems with it. It's had maybe 400-500 rounds through it, if that. It's a fun gun and shoots hand loads very well.

7. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Reliability is better than 10 years ago. You also need to figure on long trigger pulls for certain models. The brand is a good value and some models are better than others like most manufacturers.

Do they have the same fit and finish as a more expensive pistol? No, you get what you pay for and sometimes a little more or less. The way I see it life is short and I buy what I really want. I already have more guns than I can shoot in a month, so any additional purchase would need to be special. If I wanted a hand cannon without spending $1000 I would definitely consider one, but that $1000 S&W will only go up in value if kept in good condition.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Taurus resale value sucks,
    Never seen one gain in value..

I have 2 ...one revolver ,one pistol.
    Like the revolver, not the pistol.
    Only bought them to see if they were any good, instead of hear say.

They are OK guns.

Wont buy another .

Cant sell the Pistol, :mad:, paid $400 new, now I see them selling for $200,
    Guess Ill keep it.

my $.02

Jim

9. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

When concealed carry first got popular, I bought a five shot Taurus 44 spl. Bobbed the hammer and put a Wolf spring kit in it for double action only. It was fantastic. My best friends father was about to have a birthday,(he was a retired Highway Patrol officer). He begged me to sell it to him as a gift for his dad, I did. Later ran in to his dad and asked how the Taurus was doing? He said it wasn't something he would have bought on his own, but was the most fun gun he owned. I later bought a Raging Bull 44mag six inch which was the most accurate and comfortable 44 I ever shot. But I felt like the detective on Roger Rabbit holding that cannon.:cool:

10. hodge

hodge New Member

Only Taurus that I've owned, or shot, is a PT 22 that my mom gave me. She bought it years ago as a BUG, and forgot how to operate it. It is ammo finicky (which isn't uncommon for 22LR semi autos, it seems like), but otherwise, it runs fine.
    Taurus just had a huge recall, which they seemed to handle pretty well (from what I gather). So, as a company, they seem to be on the up and up. But, as mentioned above, I would review thoroughly whatever model you were interested in, before purchasing.

My overall feel for Taurus is that you may get a lemon, but more likely than not, you will get your moneys worth. As also mentioned, though, they don't have good resale value.

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I shot a .44 mag and a .357, back when I was in school. (Probably around 1990) I didn't know much about handguns then and I thought they were ok. Now I wouldn't give a nickel for those particular guns (they were pretty rough) BUT...25 years is plenty of time for a business to get its act together. I'll stick with American made handguns though.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

One of my buddys bought a 24/7 I think it's called.
    When we were out shooting his Taurus sometimes wouldn't fully chamber a round. He blamed it on the ammo........ :confused:
    I'll probably see him tomorrow, I'll ask him about it.

His Taurus copy of the Beretta 92 (or 96?) has been giving him good service for many years.

13. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I've known several people as well as myself who have had the Taurus version of the Beretta 92. Without exception they shot more accurately than the Beretta. Before you ask two were officers that used the Beretta as service weapons,(military). I also proffered the safety location on the Taurus,(on the frame).

14. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

A guy came out to shoot today and he had a Taurus 38 spl dao pocket revolver. It either didn't have an external hammer or it was really bobbed to almost nil. The trigger was so heavy his daughter couldn't hardly even pull the trigger. They loved my LCR trigger.

15. CajunBass

CajunBass New Member

I've owned, oh I don't know, a dozen or so Taurus revolvers over the years. I don't own any now, but don't read too much into that. I buy, sell, trade, and swap guns all the time.

All of the Taurus' I've owned were "older" ones, from the early 80's to mid 90's. I've never owned a current production one, so I can't comment on them. All of them were quite functional, and worked and shot just fine. The best of them, I'd put up against any Smith & Wesson I've ever owned, and I've owned plenty of them.

I remember in particular a Model 65, fixed sight, six shot 357, and a Taurus 431 in 44 Special. I'm really sorry I sold those. Those were nice guns.

16. phideaux

Like I said previously, I like the 44 mag revolver , but not so much the Mil Pro Pt 145 pistol.

Cant sell it, but I'm taking it tomorrow to meet a guy that wants it, but wants to trade me a ,supposedly, pristine Marlin 336 30-30 lever action rifle with a Nikon scope.

IN A HEARTBEAT...yowsa..

Sooooo, at 11:30 am tomorrow , I may be rid of it, and the owner of a nice Marlin 30-30,
    Which has been on my want list, not at the top of the list, but been there for a long time,

Ill let ya know,

Stay tuned..

Jim

17. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Let us know how it goes and good luck!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  18. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

I know you must know, but I just gotta say........
    Look for the JM proof mark on the barrel. Those were made by Marlin back when Marlin was Marlin.

The latest Marlins are made by Remington, (REM) proof marked.
    Lots of people have had lots of problems with the Remlin L/A rifles. Seems to be a hit or miss deal with those.

19. phideaux

You are correct about the JM stamp.
    I do not own a Marlin without the JM stamp.

My first question was , when did you buy the gun.

Late 80s. way before Remlin.

He bought it for deer hunting, (what else) and has quit hunting.
    Its not a collector ,......but everybody should own a 30-30....and I don't.

Got to meet at 11:30, and its 35 miles away ,

Jim