Ruger Talk Forums banner

Whats it worth

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  SavageGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
Dan's question about his Mini 14 got me to thinking.

When over the years I have considered trading and/or selling my guns,

I have developed an approximate rule of thumb.

Local gun shop owners that I trust and have dealt with for a while will typically offer me 65-75% of value.

In other words multiply what he tells you by 1.4 and you should get at least a good idea of the worth.

This has been my own experience over quite a long time.

I am curious about others' experiences.

Has this rule of thumb held up with your own dealings?

Doc

#2 ·
I don't bother with the trade-in thing. Not greedy but having been on the other side of that counter, well... In general, I know what my items are selling for. If there's a question or doubt, like I mentioned in Dan's Mini thread, I check GunBroker's completed auctions and see what people are actually paying for the same item. Asking prices ar done thing, actual selling prices are real world.

#3 ·
I've only tried to trade One gun at a gun shop One time. Lucky me, I knew what my gun was worth.

They offered about 25% of the worth of my gun on a trade.... On a Trade!
I understand retail and of course you have to make a profit on every deal. But 75%, no thanks.

I'm sure there are fair shops, I just don't bother with searching for them.

:GadsdenFlag:

#5 ·
Really? You guys have never traded guns?

I think I probably have about 20 times over the years.

Several times some stuff needed to be added to one side to make it equitable.. ammo, tools, cash, etc.

I like trading. Combines both transactions in one. Fun too.

Doc

#9 ·
Remember, a lot of what is offered has to do with how quickly the item being traded will likely sit on their shelves. Something they an move fast usually will see a better allowance whereas something odd and likely to sit idle for a while will get a low offer. It'd be dead inventory for the shop where if it were a different item of the same value and move, that's income not overhead.

#10 ·
Years ago when we went to a gun show and set up our tables, we traded for a lot of guns. Trading was more fun than yanking out your wallet and handing over cash. Back in those days, 90% of the gun show guys were fellow shooters and only 10% were dealers. Now it's turned 180 degrees. Everyone is a dealer and want list price or more. One time a buddy and I were arguing over the price of a gun and finally I said I would take it. I wrote an IOU and picked up the gun and handed him the paper. He was stunned!! He turned to another buddy of mine and said "did you see what Tommy did? I got an IOU". My other buddy told him not to worry, it was good. I kept the gun for about 3 hours and took it back laughing my butt off. The look on his face when I gave him that IOU was worth a hundred bucks!

Tommy

#11 ·
Years ago when we went to a gun show and set up our tables, we traded for a lot of guns. Trading was more fun than yanking out your wallet and handing over cash. Back in those days, 90% of the gun show guys were fellow shooters and only 10% were dealers. Now it's turned 180 degrees. Everyone is a dealer and want list price or more. One time a buddy and I were arguing over the price of a gun and finally I said I would take it. I wrote an IOU and picked up the gun and handed him the paper. He was stunned!! He turned to another buddy of mine and said "did you see what Tommy did? I got an IOU". My other buddy told him not to worry, it was good. I kept the gun for about 3 hours and took it back laughing my butt off. The look on his face when I gave him that IOU was worth a hundred bucks!

Tommy
Tommy, you made the guy's mind jump a groove.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.