What's in a name?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by conservative, Dec 23, 2016.

1. conservative

conservative New Member

Smith and Wesson is changing its name to American Outdoor Brands Corp. What a horrible mouthful! Frankly, I don't understand the amount of seeming stupidity it took to do this. AOBC sounds like a store name not a gun maker. Sounds like a place to buy dried meats and hunting, fishing, and other outdoor supplies. Think cabelas or gandermountain.

2. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Yeah, I think that was a really bad move by SW. I'll always call em S&W.....

3. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

To me they will always be a Smith. That's all I ever called them. They had some nice guns years ago but it's been a while since I have had another. A 629 and a model 60 come to mind as good guns, but my numbers might be off. I have 1 Smith left and it's a Model 17 .22 revolver.

Tommy

P.S. I forgot about Dirty Harry!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

S&W parent company is changing its name but the gun division of the company will still go by the name S&W. That will not change. The guns will still say S&W on them with the S&W gun logo stamp.
    The name change is due to the parent company now involved in and selling many non gun products.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Love all my S&W's...

[​IMG]

6. SHOOTER13

7. SHOOTER13

8. SHOOTER13

9. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

How many here remember the olden days when S & W marketed ammo? :machinegun:

:GadsdenFlag:

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I think I still have a box (empty).

11. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Nah , I was born much later than you guys.:waving:

I was born around the time TV was invented , not DIRT.:teehee:

JIm

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

VT has an empty box of dirt?

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Sounds like a yanking to me! But what do I know?

Tommy

14. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

So you remember the old round picture tube black and white TV's that received three channels.
    Wasn't that about the same time they came out with dirt??? :headscratch:

15. conservative

conservative New Member

Yeah, I know. It just seems a bot craZy.

16. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

As you know, Tommy, one can't have an empty box of dirt; for dirt maybe. I do have a couple buckets containing dirt, for deslipperyizing the ice in my driveway.

There could be some yanking going on, but too amateurish to be acknowledged.

:p

17. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I fear that VT deslipperyizes his shower stall also....

He has to......due to oneleglonger problems.

amateur
    Jim

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have learned how to alternate legs, to avoid that problem.

Back before the Civil War, when Vermont farmers kept a lot of sheep, they had to turn the dumb beasties around every day, so they wouldn't grow the legs on one side longer than the legs on the other side. Vermont is mostly ridges, not mountains. It would take too long for the sheep to work their way around to where they were supposed to be.

You could look it up.

19. Fireman22

Fireman22 Active Member

Sorry to break up your leg pulling but I wanted to share a couple of photos related to this tread.

Although I don't remember S & W marketing ammo, when my father gave me his S & W Model 10-5 (cleaning out the gun safe) he also gave me an almost full box of S & W ammo that he received when he bought the gun used in the mid 60's from a MA state trooper. The ammo looks like it could still be used but I don't think I'll ever shoot it.

Attached Files:

20. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

That is a might strange. That ammo isn't Smith and Wesson brand (it's Western), and it isn't .38 Special either, according to the box. The gun is a Model 10, so it is .38 Special. .38 S&W ammo will fire in a .38 Special (I think), but it's quite a bit less powerful. Those bullets don't look to be Lubaloy coated though (should be black), So I dunno what the heck you have.

:)