What ya growing ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by phideaux, Apr 9, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I just planted 2 rows of Taters (red pontiac), 1/2 row of white onion sets, 1/2 row of radishes .
    I always had 2 huge gardens up until last year, but with my health issues ,and old age , I now only do one.
    its about 80 feet wide and 150 ft long.

I will be planting sweet corn in a couple weeks. If you havent tried Ambrosia , your missing ouyt.;):) Best sweet corn on the planet.

Then green beans, peas, white beans, lima beans, okra.
    Then Tomatoes, peppers (banana and bell), cantaloupe.
    We also have annual crop of Blackberries, grapes,and strawberries.
    We make lots of spagehtti sauce , jams and jellies.

We started ,last year, canning tomatoes, and small potatoes.

Yall into growing your own food and extra for SHTF

Jim

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I use to have a small garden in town and since I moved last fall to the country (the house I grew up in ;)) we have a big garden but with my health and other things I decided I'm not going to have 1 anymore :(. Unless of course the wife decides to do 1 sometime :D)

3. phideaux

Gosh,, I know what you mean.
    I see the day coming when we cant grow one anymore, and, it aint to far off.:D

I work in the garden ,or cut firewood, or just about anything a little strenuos, for an hour , and Im bout ready to be buried.:eek:

Jim

4. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Sadly, the old and worn out bug has bitten a lot of us. However with two of my sons back in the house, my wife has managed to get some help and start the garden back up. Three rows of potatoes are in and some hot pepper plants are in big pots on the back deck. She has a bunch of other stuff but hasn't put it out yet. We had three gardens a long time ago but only use the main one now. It's 50x180 and has an irrigation line down the middle with permanent sprinklers about 5 feet tall. Sure beats dragging hoses around.

Here's a picture of one of my Granddaughters "supervising" her Dad and Uncle during the installation of a new cutoff valve for the garden.

Attached Files:

5. phideaux

How are our kids and grandkids going to know how to plant, cultivate, and harvest food, if we dont teach them.

She will remember those times out there in the garden.

It sure is fun watching the grandkids shell beans, and peas, and shuckin , silking corn.

Its a good thing.

Jim

6. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Herbs and tomatoes. I like mint a lot so I try to grow it and keep it on hand.

7. Birddogyz

Birddogyz In the army now..

Right now the only thing planted is cabbage, broccoli, and potatoes. Once it warms up we will plant tomatoes, peppers, beans, peas, herbs, artichokes, corn, egg plant, okra, and a few flowers to make the garden look good. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365604849.374436.jpg A few pics from last year
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365604905.576205.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365604984.986973.jpg
    We also can
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365605052.218129.jpg

8. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

Phi$$$

Is it entrapment if I tell you and you are a copper? ;)

9. phideaux

I promise I wont tell.;)
    Ever made brownies.:D

Hey Birdog ,thems some fine lookin groceries.
    I dont know if I can grow them artichokes or not.
    I do like em.

Jim

10. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I'm hoping for a good year for tomato's. As usual the crab grass will do just fine, I'm sure.:(

11. GAgal

GAgal New Member Lifetime Supporter

Artichokes are really easy. And when the old timers drive by they always stop and ask why we are growing them weeds in our garden. :D

12. Birddogyz

Birddogyz In the army now..

You can get them to produce fruit the first year if you trick them. They are a perineal but will not come back where we live. We start the seeds in the fall and grow them in a cold frame and let the root ball winter over. Put them in the green house in February and let them come out of a semi dormant state and each plant will produce about 20 globes. Side dress with 10-10-10 weekly. When they start producing fruit, side dress with sodium nitrate or 30-0-0. They require drenching the soil weekly. They need a lot of moisture in the ground, not on the plant.

13. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

I'm Growing sick and tired of the SNOW!!! It snowed again TODAY about a half inch after the weekend of 6 inches and Monday with 9 inches (direct measurement at my house)!

14. phideaux

Im thinkin you Alaska folks, dont have a very long growing season.

Maybe a week or two?:eek:

Jim

15. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If I'm not mistaken they have to supplement the light.

16. phideaux

Ok, I wont be plantin the corn ,beans, and other stuff for a while.
    We just got 3" of rain today, and temp has dropped 35 deg.

Hope my taters and onions, didnt drown.

Jim

17. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

Yeah but the days are long! That's why we grow RECORD SIZED cabbage (138.25 lbs) and pumpkins (1810.8 lbs):D

18. phideaux

Yeah,
    but, "Man can not live by cabbage and punkin alone " :D

Jim

19. artbrownsr

artbrownsr New Member

That's why we grow those 1600lb MOOSE!! to go along with the Cabbage and Punkin!

20. hombre243

hombre243 New Member

I am growin moss and mold waiting for my decals. Anyone else still waiting?:)