Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had several of the Ruger Mark IV pistols cross my bench since they were first issued. I was really taken aback when I had several of these pistols apart. The part that especially made me wonder about what the heck they're doing involves the safety detent:

The steel detent on the left has been used since the very first Ruger Standard was made in 1949, the black plastic detent began being factory installed in the Ruger Mark IV pistols. Check out the working end of the black plastic detent from a Ruger Mark IV safety. The working end has now worn flat from moving the safety from "ON to OFF", and not very many times. Needless to write that I've replaced the one in my pistol!

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is an old post, but it's worthwhile revisiting. When I ordered safety spring detents a short while ago from Ruger, what I received are "blued steel detents" and not the crappy plastic detents initially used in the Ruger Mark IV. Seems Ruger came to the conclusion that a plastic part, when rubbing on a steel part, will soon loose the battle.
When I do find the plastic black detents in the Ruger Mark IV pistols that land on my bench, I do replace those with the steel detent style from my inventory, which has been used since 1949.

·
Banned
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey no problem. When I order parts from Ruger, I normally get the latest parts that they are using in their current production of firearms. Recently, when I received safety detents, they arrived as black (blued) steel versions, so I was glad to see that they are back to using steel detents, and the scurrilous accusation about them taking directions from the ChiComs was just more mindless

1 - 5 of 5 Posts