What think ye? 22TCM ?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Feb 15, 2016.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I got to shoot one last year, and was truly impressed.

This round has plenty to offer in speed and impact. It shot very accurate and not much recoil. I just keep thinking about ...for some reason.

Ammo is not plentiful, not expensive, but not inexpensive either.

You can also pair it up with a rifle..:cool:

Rock Island makes a pretty darn nice 1911 that comes as a combo 22TCM and 9mm. Looks good.

Just wanted to get you guys/gals opinions, thoughts, input......
    http://www.gunblast.com/RockIsland-22TCM.htm

Jim

2. gumpy

gumpy New Member

Anything I've ever shot from RI has been most excellent!! SA's are over the top also, right outta the box. Just to pricy for me!

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

The accuracy of the RI at 25 yards was impressive from a handgun. The price on the RI is quite a bit less than the FN 5.7.
    I had an FN 5.7 28mm and I couldn't hit squat with it. I guess the trigger reach was to much for me or something. The gun makes you think you are holding a squirt gun it is so light. That was when the 5.7 ammo was scarce and cost upwards to $28 for 50. I sold the gun.
    I just checked ammo seek and saw cheapest 22TCm was .36 per round and cheapest 5.7 28mm was 37.7 per round. As fast as these guns can be shot it gets expensive real fast to shoot them.
    I am retired so I will pass.

4. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have been paying zero attention... what advantages to either of those rounds have over the .22 Hornet?

5. phideaux

The .22 TCM has no advantages over the Hornet.

It is in the same class (almost) ballistics wise , accuracy is mutually shared . I see it as a nice handgun caliber, even for self defense if your not in a crowd.
    The one I shot was at a 4" steel plate at 20 yards , with almost zero recoil, rapid fire on target was fairly easy.

It will penetrate 3/16 mild steel....from a 5" pipe. Potent.

No advantages...just don't have a handgun made to handle the longer cartridge Hornet.;),
    This one may be lots of fun,
    and you can shoot cheep 9mm in it too..:cool:

Jim

6. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Didn't Taurus make a Raging version revolver that shot the Hornet?

7. phideaux

Yes they did, it was a big revolver. It was said by owners , that they couldn't hit the side of a barn with it,
    don't know why.

[​IMG]

I still think I would like the 1911 version, because I have shot one , and it was very accurate.

Probly wont own one, but I am curious and interested in that caliber .22TCM.

Jim

8. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Hmm... I am suspicious of that smiley-with-a-wink. Seems like I have seen a single action revolver .22 Hornet - somewhere on the Net. If so, you would love to have one, Jim, I know you would. ;)

9. phideaux

Darn,

Some folks cant be fooled, those smiley_winks are just too divulging.

You have learned Me all too well.;)

Jim

10. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

11. phideaux

12. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Yep a gun addict reading reviews on guns is like an alcoholic looking at a whisky ad that tells how smooth it goes down.

13. phideaux

Just for fun..

left to right...22lr,.22 mag, factory .22TCM, .22TCM with vmax bullet, 5.7x28 FN, .22Hornet, and a .221 Fireball.

[​IMG]

14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

It's a flash in the pan...only RI makes the ammo and the platform to shoot it.

Just another wildcat that will fall by the wayside... ^^ Like most of the above ^^

15. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My first look at the TCM cartridge. One of the short, fat magnums then. I think you are probably right, Shooter13. RI needs a Big Name Brand in the mix.

16. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

LGS had both the 1911 and bolt rifle. I handled them, the 1911 was all RI, a bit crude but felt solid. The bolt gun was plain, but surprisingly good quality. Good fit and finish, very smooth to work the bolt, and an adjustable trigger that was pretty good out of the box. Only problem was the stock had too much drop. According to the sales guy the 40 gr. TCM should top 2800 fps from the rifle ' s 21 inch barrel. Sounds like a good acreage gun for possum, groundhogs and such, with a matching handgun to boot.

17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

A .22 Long Rifle or .22 Magnum could do the same thing...cheaper.

18. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Ruger 77/22 WRM and I already have the Single Six... doesn't make my ears tingle and my nose itch though.

About that BFR...

19. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

I just picked up a 77 in 22WM looking forward to shooting it.

20. Birddogyz

Birddogyz In the army now..

Jim, you left out one of my favorite .22 calibers. The 22-250.