Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I inherited a Ruger Blackhawk, .357. It was manufactured at the end of the '60's, is a flat top, three screw model with a 7" barrel. Serial # starts with 31-________. The gun is immaculate for its age. Except for the big, honky Pachmeyer grip.

I'm a shooter and have owned/own various Rugers, but never one this old or this type. Can anyone clue me in about value?

Jerry in Idaho

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Jerry,
Its customary for first post to go to Introductions, and introduce ones self, so the folks here can give a proper welcome, and learn a little about you,

sounds like you landed a dandy Ruger.

Jim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay Jim. Intro done and posted. I'm moving at the moment, but I'll try and get some photos on line ASAP. Can't tonight 'cause my camera is now packed and in storage and I don't have the foggiest how to do the photo thing with my phone.

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Okay Jim. Intro done and posted. I'm moving at the moment, but I'll try and get some photos on line ASAP. Can't tonight 'cause my camera is now packed and in storage and I don't have the foggiest how to do the photo thing with my phone.
Don't feel bad about not knowing how to use your "smart" phone. I have a dummy phone and all I can do is make and receive calls. Still haven't learned about texting. My phone let's me know who is calling by me saying "Hello" and " who is this." No biggie about the phone.

Tommy

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
What YOU have is one of the finest .357 magnums Ruger ever made...

Three Screw and a Flat Top...don't get much better!!

=========================================

Ruger’s 1st center fire single action revolver, the new “Blackhawk” .357 Magnum, debuted in 1955...

In 1959, 6-1/2” and 10” barrels were introduced. Some variations of these two barrel lengths were made in low numbers and created some very scarce and rare collectible guns today.

Walnut grip panels became the standard in 1960's...before that, stag and even ivory could be ordered.

The left side of the 3-screw cylinder frame was roll marked “RUGER .357 CAL. BLACKHAWK”. Of course in addition to the .357 Magnum cartridge, the .38 Special cartridge could be fired in the revolver, adding to its versatility.

The grip frame was redesigned in 1963 (marked XR3-RED). There is no "Transfer Bar" safety...

Due to the “flat” design of the cylinder frame’s top strap, these guns became known as “Flat Tops”.

Around 42,000 of these fine single action .357 Blackhawk “Flat Tops” were produced during its eight year life span of 1955 to 1962, when production ceased.

Many of these .357 “Flat Tops” have red, cherry, or plum colored cylinder frames, loading gates, triggers, and/or other parts. It is thought that this discoloration was due to the make-up of the molten metal used in the casting or molding process. The metal apparently reacted with the bluing solution during the bluing process, resulting in these various colors or tints. Some of these “discolored” guns are absolutely beautiful and highly desired by the serious collector.

An NRA Excellent example of this vintage firearms' worth can be subjective and will vary due to condition and market demand...but I've seen them in the $650 range.

·
Banned
558 Posts
My New Model Blackhawk .357 61/2 in looks exactly like that one. The only difference is the number of screws. Which always made me wonder what the other screw was for on the three screw. Anyone know?

·
Registered
407 Posts
My New Model Blackhawk .357 61/2 in looks exactly like that one. The only difference is the number of screws. Which always made me wonder what the other screw was for on the three screw. Anyone know?

The large one at the rear is for the hammer, the second one is for the trigger, the third one is for the Cylinder/Bolt lock.
Ruger removed the need for the third screw by adding a boss that rides in the spring for the gate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts