Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what role the Ruger Security 9 is suppose to serve?

For two years Ruger promoted the American Pistol as “the next big thing.” Then out of no where the Security 9 was released. I get that Ruger wanted to release their own “Glock 19 compact” sized pistol but couldn’t they have done that with the American platform? I would have loved to purchase a 15 round capacity Ruger American Pistol compact.

Was Ruger not satisfied with the sales of the American Pistol and decided to go into panic mode by releasing the Security 9?

For me personally I still prefer my American Pistol compact over the Security 9 simply because the American is more durable than the Security 9. I have handled the Security 9 at my local dealer and the only thing that impressed me was the trigger. Yes, the slide of the Security 9 is steel but it’s internal chassis is aluminum. I would much rather choose steel over aluminum every time. Im hoping that Ruger does not plan on replacing the American Pistol with the Security 9. I feel like that would be a step back from Ruger’s mission to produce tough and strong firearms.

Why do you all believe Ruger released the Security 9? Do you believe Ruger is trying to figure out which pistol, between the American Pistol and the Security 9, will be the successor to the SR series?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Because Ruger is very good at giving the public what it wants. A good enough firearm at a price point. The Security 9 will never be an American Pistol, the American Predator will never be a Hawkeye Predator.

I have both the American Compact and the Security 9. I would never choose the Security 9 over the American, but the Security 9 is "good enough".

I will say the cheap finish on the Security 9 has shown it's first weakness with the summer heat we have had lately. I found a speck of rust on it last weekend.

·
Registered
992 Posts
The Security 9 gets first time handgun buyers into the game with a lower cost, reliable piece. Then, hopefully, that buyer will choose Ruger for his/her next gun. It's also a low cost option for a quality made 2nd gun or truck gun. No, its not a service grade gun. But it is hammer fired, which I like. If they bring out a compact with a shorter barrel, I'll be first in line...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Because Ruger is very good at giving the public what it wants. A good enough firearm at a price point. The Security 9 will never be an American Pistol, the American Predator will never be a Hawkeye Predator.

I have both the American Compact and the Security 9. I would never choose the Security 9 over the American, but the Security 9 is "good enough".

I will say the cheap finish on the Security 9 has shown it's first weakness with the summer heat we have had lately. I found a speck of rust on it last weekend.
Ok great! That makes me feel better! I have put everything into the American Pistol series and I’m not finished with the set up so I’m not ready for the American Pistol series being discontinued. I guess I will feel a lot better if Ruger releases the American in .40 caliber. I’m not interested in .40 but seeing Ruger release a new American Pistol model will make me feel more at ease about the future of the platform.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Security 9 gets first time handgun buyers into the game with a lower cost, reliable piece. Then, hopefully, that buyer will choose Ruger for his/her next gun. It's also a low cost option for a quality made 2nd gun or truck gun. No, its not a service grade gun. But it is hammer fired, which I like. If they bring out a compact with a shorter barrel, I'll be first in line...
Good point! I hope that what I said about the Security 9 didn’t come off as insulting towards that option. I sometimes think about the possibility of purchasing the Security 9 due to its lighter weight compared to the American. It’s just right now I’m more interested in the American because of its tank like features.

·
Registered
13 Posts

hot and humid Iowa here, zero rust. Carry during mowing. Have heard of discolored slides. Have to wonder if anyone else bothers to wipe the gun down after carrying it all day. I have zero finish issues. It's blued your e gonna have to take some time to give it a little love guy's! Also the American is a brick, that's why it's dying out.

·
Registered
685 Posts
It's a blued carbon steel slide. It will discolor/rust when subject to salt and acid. Oil will slow but not stop it.

I wipe down what I carry daily, but I dont break it down and clean it daily.

I doubt the American Pistol is not going anywhere too soon I think. It's the first Ruger since the Security 6 and P series that is finding it's way into police holsters. Dont think you will see the Security 9 in one. I will be surprised if the SR series is not discontinued soon though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That begs the question, what do we do about it. I understand it's the attitude of some ppl that it's a "cheap" gun so it doesn't matter. I personally would rather respect all my equipment to the fullest. So does one strip the slide and hit it with duracoat or something similar better/similar? Waiting so summer for high round count test or review of the sec. 9. So far nothing. My only concern is how much volume can this firearm handle and will ruger be there to make it right when it does give in. This was my first handgun in the future I'm considering something stainless... A good revolver is hard to get on a bad budget. An 8 shot .357 mag might really bring piece of mind and after that an upgrade from the s9 to something more substantial... Not a block.

·
Registered
685 Posts
That begs the question, what do we do about it. I understand it's the attitude of some ppl that it's a "cheap" gun so it doesn't matter. I personally would rather respect all my equipment to the fullest. So does one strip the slide and hit it with duracoat or something similar better/similar? Waiting so summer for high round count test or review of the sec. 9. So far nothing. My only concern is how much volume can this firearm handle and will ruger be there to make it right when it does give in. This was my first handgun in the future I'm considering something stainless... A good revolver is hard to get on a bad budget. An 8 shot .357 mag might really bring piece of mind and after that an upgrade from the s9 to something more substantial... Not a block.
Hey, the Security 9 is a good pistol. I am not saying it's not. It will last my lifetime and likely my children's. But when it quits I imagine my American Compact will still be soldiering on

Also not saying I dont take care of it, I do. Its wiped down every day, and broken down and cleaned after each range trip. Which is every Saturday. I just expect it to show wear after the hard use it sees.

The Security 9 has been flawlesssince I have had it, the only issue is that it strings shots vertically, me I think, not the gun. It balances well with a full magazine, but becomes progressively nose heaves as the magazine empties. I believe i am changing my grip pressure to compensate
It shoots well off a rest.

The American compact is a better built gun though. Metal where the Security 9 is plastic. Sights. Guide rod. Trigger. And steel where the Security 9 is plastic. The chassis. Plus the American has a better trigger. All it has to do is drop the pre-tensioned striker where the hammer on the Security 9 is only about 90% cocked. The trigger has to finish cocking it before it trips whitch introduces a bit of creep.

All that said, which one do you think is protecting me now? Yep, the Security 9

·
Registered
291 Posts
That begs the question, what do we do about it. I understand it's the attitude of some ppl that it's a "cheap" gun so it doesn't matter.
It's not that it doesn't matter, but one must keep things in 'perspective'. It's a budget gun that no matter how well you take care of it will wear quicker than some that cost more.
Nothing wrong with that. I didn't like it because Ruger doesn't really want you shooting +P out of it.

I just bought a new EC9 and Ruger says just don't over do it, but you can shoot +P. But very few guns on the market today can handle continue +P use like the American. That's the gun I really wanted but had to make budget compromise. But not because I could shoot continual +P but because it tells me it's built well. In other words it's a gun that will most likely out live most.

But the truth is even the EC9 is built better than the Security 9. And I plan on having it around hopefully to the grave, but I also understand I can't go range crazy with it like you could with the American. No problem I'll just shoot less each trip but go more often. :)

Enjoy your gun and when it goes you'll have enough saved to get something else.
What Ruger has done is to make quality affordable without having to step down to the 'real junk' out here.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well OP, I can't say that I know what purpose it fulfills, but I sure like mine. I actually shoot it better than my G19, and up until I bought that Ruger, I shot that G19 better than any handgun I have ever shot.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine..............another POS on the market!
Wow, lots of ppl can't afford sig or fn. It chambers rounds and goes pop and for the vast majority of owners I'm pretty sure it does so without complaints. Most reviews indicate that it's reliable and it's accuracy is in general good enough for what it's being marketed for. Have you shot one? Is the pcc a pos too? Should we all go buy a Taurus and blow out hands apart? It's not a piece of shit. Firearms don t have to cost $500+ to be worth a damn. Kind of like the s9 you can judge a person by how they judge this firearm. Lots of less than pleasant ppl hate it for no reason.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I guess that's why Ruger makes all kinds of firearms for all kinds of different folks. Is the security 9 the best handgun on the market, no. It is a G19 competitor and fills that role for less money, but there is never a free lunch. There is never going to be great aftermarket and accessory support for the S9. We will have to wait and see how long Ruger keeps it around to see if it gets popular. I will say that the trigger on the S9 isn't bad and the weight is nice for a 15 round CCW.

I don't know if the +p questions are really a concern to buying a handgun such as the S9. Lots of manufactures will not specifically tell you a gun is good to shoot a bunch of +p with simply because +p isn't held to a specific pressure and just like with reloaded ammo they do not want to risk any liability. However, these are tools and any tool will eventually wear out. All guns shooting higher pressure ammo will wear out faster than shooting lower pressure ammo. Besides if you are not a LEO or someplace else that requires you to shoot +p all the time, why wouldn't you just get a larger caliber for extra power?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Besides if you are not a LEO or someplace else that requires you to shoot +p all the time, why wouldn't you just get a larger caliber for extra power?
Because larger caliber = reduced capacity in the same sized pistol.

But for me, +P rounds aren't an issue with regard to wear, even though I keep my daily carry gun loaded with them. Once I put enough of them through it to ensure that it fed them reliably I stopped shooting them, save for the occasional mag function test. For regular practice I use regular pressure loads. There simply is no good reason for me to fire +P loads on a frequent basis.

·
Registered
685 Posts
My Security 9 has been 100% malfunction free. Yes, I have complained about stringing, but still. It is accurate enough to do it's job. Paid $289 for my Security 9. I could do a lot less for a lot more.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't know if the +p questions are really a concern to buying a handgun such as the S9. Lots of manufactures will not specifically tell you a gun is good to shoot a bunch of +p
I seldom ever shoot +P but when a manufacture says they don't want you shooting +P I run the other way away from their products because that tells me they have no confidence in their build quality. Think Taurus or even Charter Arms and some of the other throw away gun makers out there.

Most will tell you it's ok in moderation, only the Ruger American brags about how much +P you can shoot. Even Glock can't touch that.

DESIGNED WITH THE TOUGHEST STANDARDS IN MIND.
BUILT TO PERFORM IN THE HARSHEST CONDITIONS.

• Performance tested for sustained +P ammunition use.

ANYTHING ELSE WOULD BE UN-AMERICAN™

·
Registered
157 Posts
I seldom ever shoot +P but when a manufacture says they don't want you shooting +P I run the other way away from their products because that tells me they have no confidence in their build quality. Think Taurus or even Charter Arms and some of the other throw away gun makers out there.

Most will tell you it's ok in moderation, only the Ruger American brags about how much +P you can shoot. Even Glock can't touch that.
If you don't plan on shooting +p then who cares if the firearm is not rated for +p? That's like being mad that you bought a .38 and can't shoot .357's out of it. That doesn't make sense. A handgun not being rated +p does not imply that it is poorly made. Example, every non +p 38 S&W has ever made. It means that they were made for a different purpose and a different market in mind. Ruger is using a marketing ploy, that in this case apparently worked. Listen I agree with you in thinking the American is a better-built gun than the S9, but just don't agree with your logic.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Doesn't make sense to you because you fail to comprehend what it means.

Let's spell it out for you shall we, the S9 is a throw away gun that you'll be lucky to get a few thousand rounds through it. Now grant it the average shooter out here barely shoots a few times a year and then only a few box's worth.

Then you have people like me who can blast a 1000 rounds a range session on occasion.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I don't put a lot of creedence on wether a pistol is designed for +p or not. Although I will admit that a +P rating is an attribute. Part of the reason it because there are only a very few +P cartridges reconied by SAAMI.

Example, one of my favorite handguns is the Beretta 85. (I know, it has a mag disconnect, which I don't like. But the 85 at least allows you to drop the hammer without inserting a magazine.) It's not +P rated. Probably because there are novreconized +P 380 . SAAMI says so, and they wrote the book. Sure, there is so called +P 380 ammo out there are by botique ammunition manufacturers, but they are not +P. Remember, there is no +P 380. It is all over pressured 380.

Another case in point. My 45 Colt loads. 4227 powder pushing a 260 grain Speer will make a 44 magnum stand up and take notice, but these are loaded by me for my firearms. They are not +P, they are over pressured. And while safe in my H&R 45 Colt Buffalo Classic carbine, they would likely be detremental to the life of my Pietta 1783 Colt replica. I like my Pietta!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts