What is this round?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Daagak, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Pardon my noobness, what is this round? It seems to be to fit a 22LR but dont know... thanks! ImageUploadedByRuger Forum1488682954.719552.jpg

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Is it 22 bird shot?

3. havasu

havasu In the army now..

Attached Files:

4. buster40c

I think you nailed it on the nailer round.

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep nailer casing,

The same case used in mfg the .22 WSM cartridge,

Much heavier/thicker walls than any standard .22 cartridge.
    Therefore higher pressure capable, higher fps, higher energy.
    Accuracy....still questionable.:rolleyes:

Jim

6. Daagak

Daagak New Member

Nice haha thanks!!

7. Daagak

Daagak New Member

My friend just got a Papoose from his late grand father, and had some 22LR, and those came in a box, was very curios of why haha

8. gwpercle

gwpercle Member

Enough "stuff" comes out to kill. My business partner's son thought he would scare his friends , by playing Russian Roulette with one in a 22 revolver.
    I went to the boy's funeral....do not play with them ! They can kill.
    Gary

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
  9. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture New Member

Like most blanks, they have a wadding in front of the powder to keep it in. It will kill for several feet, and wound for about ten.

10. havasu

havasu In the army now..

This is a great reminder how seemingly innocent items can kill you. Years ago, we had common sense. This common sense stuff must be extinct, and this is why we have all the safety warnings on everything. "Don't put a plastic bag on your head or you will suffocate", do not ride this motorcyche without wearing a helmet, or you can die", or as my new S&W Shield says, "caution, this gun will fire without a magazine inserted".

Here are two well known actors who also forgot to read the warning signs...

Jon-Erik Hexum - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon-Erik_Hexum
    Jon-Erik Hexum. Jon-Erik Hexum (November 5, 1957 – October 18, 1984) was an American model and actor. He died as a result of an accidental self-inflicted blank cartridge gunshot round to the head on the set of the CBS television series Cover Up, in which he played the male lead.
    ‎Cover Up · ‎Voyagers! · ‎Antony Hamilton
    Brandon Lee - Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee
    Brandon Bruce Lee (February 1, 1965 – March 31, 1993) was an American actor and martial .... After his death, Hutton petitioned to have gun safety regulations tightened on film sets. ... at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 feet), the dummy cartridges were exchanged with blank rounds, which feature a live powder ...

11. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Revolvers are used to 'play' Russian Roulette. Some folks play the game Life with five chambers loaded.

12. buster40c

Just this weekend a kid was killed supposedly playing RR. It was reported the kid was only one playing the deadly game. The dad said he didn't even have a gun and the neighbor said he heard two gunshots. Something strange here.

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Well yeah. The kid could have gotten the gun elsewhere, but getting two shots off would be tricky.

14. buster40c

LOL I guess if he had practiced a lot he might have gotten two shots off. Some people don't make it past practice before they lose interest for some reason.

I have heard some people use a semi auto for RR but only load a couple into the 15 round magazine. They should have first taken a class how to play the game.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
  15. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Really, really strange that this subject came up here today because...
    Earlier for the first time in many years I was thinking about one of the kids I knew in school.
    (Before I saw these posts).

Him and some other kids were playing with a gun, maybe playing RR was the talk around the area.
    One theory was that he may have thought the cylinder revolved in the opposite direction and was not trying to kill himself. He shot himself with the other kids watching.

It was devastating to all involved, their families and the entire community.

16. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

People also use them old nail gun blanks in their older guns and rifles to scare off varmints. I have thrown some in a cheap Heritage revolver and found them to be loud and without damage to the gun. What you put in your guns is up to you. I don't think they can hurt a gun because no real pressures build up but they could be dirty. I would not point them at anyone and if you wonder why, just point it at a paper target at 10 to 20 feet away and see what happens.Believe me, if it sounds loud and crisp, it has a nice concentration to one major area for so many feet. They are fun to mess with though. Just look at those blanks used in the 21 gun salute at funerals. I saw gun sites where you can make your own blanks by pulling the bullet from the casing very carefully and carefully laying a paper disk or wad of tissue inside and filling the rest with wax so you build pressure for the bang once the primer of powder ignites( nope, not gonna try it myself). I leave them tests up to my dumb friend 'Bob' and I wouldn't want to stand in front of those either ..... So go to Ace Hardware, Home Depot , Lowes, etc. stock up and have fun............Or just find a site that makes real gun blanks....Oh, and I just reeled in a new gun buy! Stay tuned....:D

Attached Files:

17. WizardMaster

WizardMaster SHARPSHOOTER

I agree and I just watched an old detective show on a claim of death by RR. A detective/ scientist<<(those are the really smart detectives that like to get their hands dirty :D) stated that although it IS possible for a suicidal person to get off a second shot to the head, it is very, very rare..Oh and the suicidal double shot to the head claim in that episode? The wife did it...........:eek:

18. buster40c

It is amazing how many people died from two shots to the back of their head were reported as suicide. I suppose it is possible with a semi auto with a hair trigger, but not probable. If it was a 40 cal then nope I seriously doubt it is possible.

19. havasu

havasu In the army now..

True story. When i was a cop, i got a call of a murder at one of our seedy motels. The room was full of brain blood (those of us in the business are aware of what I am referring to). We found the room renter, who was about to board an aircraft enroute to his home in New York. He said he flew here to commit suicide, drank a fifth of Jack Daniels, put .22 revolver between his eyes, and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered the side of his eye, hit his skull, and spun arould his cranium until it stopped. He woke up the next day with a hell of a headache, and figured it was not his time to die.

I often wonder how his life turned out?

20. buster40c

He possibly runs a gun safety business.