Ruger Talk Forums banner
761 - 780 of 840 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
This is what your leftovers look like when you get tired of looking at the 9 lbs of beef short ribs and 6 lbs of St. Louis cut pork ribs that have been in your freezer for 6 months and decide to sous vide + smoke them all for a family gathering of 6 adults and 1 grandchild. This was after we'd all stuffed our faces.

· Registered
120 Posts
From the backyard garden , red ripe tomatoes and fresh okra , combined with onions, garlic , celery , bell pepper , smoked sausage , a dark roux and chicken stock, simmered low and slow, then add the fresh shrimp .... and then we have
Shrimp and Okra Gumbo !

Thank you dear Lord for making me Cajun.
Gary

· Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Instead of swapping scopes todfay, tge wufe had me grilling some baby back prik ribs, chcken breasts, sausage, and mollejas (sweeetbreads) and corn on the cob. The wife also made some "pinwheels" Pounded outr chichen brasts smeared witrh cream cheese, and sliced jalepanos. Rolled up in bacon slices and pinned witrh wood toothpicks. Holds the stuff together till cooked. Tossed salad and stuffed jalapenos.

· Premium Member
1,419 Posts
After a weekend of stuffing our faces, we finally stayed home and cooked some. We had been out celebrating early for our 43 Anny with the kids and daughter's boyfriend. Friday night we hit a Mexfood place that has mariachi bands on Friday night and good food too. Use to go there a lot cause the wife taought school in the little town which is 9 miles from here. Mariacji bands don't play now, but the food was great.

Saturday we hit a seafood place on the coast 30 mles to the east on Baffin Bay. Lotta fried shrimp, fried redfish, hush puppies, fries, fried onion rings.

Sunday, the daughters boyfriend grilled up some baby backs for us, beef fajitas, sausage, and mollejas. Frijoles borrachos and arroz on the side with artery cloggin' flour tortillas.

Son came home Monday to visit, so we all went out for loacal Mexfood.

We both hae to cook Tues. and Wed. Chicken salad and pork chops with salads from bags. Not great, but easy to fix.

Today is the big day, so I will either be grilling or we wqill go out if the son comes home.

· Registered
222 Posts
From the past few weekends...

St. Louis cut pork ribs, sous vide for 25 hours, then covered in a coffee and ancho rub and smoked for 4 hours. Deviled avocado playing a supporting role.

Copa muscle extracted from a pork shoulder and dry cured in my fridge for 2.5 months into capocollo (aka, capicola, gabagool, et al).

A whole USDA Prime ribeye primal dry aged in my fridge for 45 days...

...and then portioned into thick steaks. The intense beefy flavor that results is amazing.

When the wife and I vacationed in the British Isles last year I became quite fond of the Irish brown bread that accompanied breakfast every morning at our B&B in Ireland. Not being able to find it here I learned to make it myself (which is ridiculously simple).

Maybe after a couple months of fattening up on the pears and figs in my yard.

761 - 780 of 840 Posts