What holster for SP 101 ?

Discussion in 'Ruger Revolver Forums' started by StandingBear, Nov 15, 2015.

1. StandingBear

StandingBear New Member

Just got my first Ruger revolver. An SP 101 3" in .357. I'm interested in members opinions on an EDC holster. Being that winter's coming, I'm thinking I'd prefer an OWB style. Thanks for your help.

2. nickndfl

nickndfl Active Member

Shoulder holster especially for the winter. Easy to carry and conceal.

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I can only suggest looking at the De Santis line, and only because I like the De Santis OWB for my GP100. I don't like thumb snaps for concealed carry, and the De Santis pressure retention works nicely after the breakin period (which can be done in a couple days).

4. 2manyhotrods

2manyhotrods 2manyhotrods

My SP 101, 4 inch needs a new holster also. Bought a De Santis but not loving it.
    Stiff as a board and crummy fit. I've spent over two weeks breaking it in and loosening it up. Still not loving it.
    What else should I try in a nice softer leather?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

El Paso leather does nice work, as does Bianchi.

6. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know its not OWB,
    but I like my Remoras , year round.

Scenario, your out and about, with jacket on , OWB,
    You go into a restaurant to eat , you want to remove the jacket for eating comfort, hmmmmmmm. problem?

With Remora shirt tail covers weapon nicely, total concealment.

Just my MO..and 2 cents.

Jim

7. StandingBear

StandingBear New Member

HotRod:

I know that you mentioned that you wanted an all leather holster. Just thought I'd say that I decided on a Crossbreed leather and Kydex OWB for mine. The Kydex on this holster is sized for the short barrel and so there may be to much barrel protruding for your liking. My SP is a 3" and I don't have a problem with the 1 1/2 inches that extends out of the Kydex. The retention is great, the draw is easy and the weapon sits tightly against my body. I would have preferred a 10 degree cant instead of the vertical draw. None the less, I'm very happy with it. I used to be a leather guy but in the last few years I've switched to Kydex/leather for my carry guns and now prefer them over anything else. Hope this opinion helps.

8. DaddyGps

DaddyGps New Member

Try looking at Simply Rugged Holsters. For a different approach also try Pistolwear.