Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting 22 lr handguns for some time. Recently I have decided to get a larger caliber self defense handgun for the home. I have no trouble handling my sr22 and really enjoy shooting it. My problem is I have a form of muscular dystrophy an am slowly(very slowly) loosing strength in my arms and hands. Recoil is my enemy. What guns should I consider? Thanks

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
Instead of going to a bigger caliber why not get to be a deadly accurate shot with a 22lr? Placement in the front noggin means even a 22lr can drop the biggest bad guy. A 32 cal doesn't have hardly any recoil to it and might be all you want to go up to. In your situation racking a slide or pulling a hammer or heavy trigger could be a real problem to consider also. I have noticed many slides take a good hand grip and strength to rack. I have experienced revolvers that felt like it required a tow truck to pull the trigger and sometimes also the hammer.
Supposedly there are more people killed with 22lr than any other caliber. Because of ammo cost you can become a more accurate placement shooter with a 22lr than you can with any other bigger caliber.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Do you have trouble with double action triggers? If not I'd say a medium frame .38 with 4 inch barrel would fit the bill. No slide to rack, heavy enough to tame the recoil.

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Ruger LCR .22 magnum.

Almost no recoil,
No slide to rack,
Easy trigger pull ,
No hammer to cock,
.22 magnum potentcy.

Sounds like the one...huh?

:)
Jim

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Let me just add this...
My wife is in her later 60s, has severe rumatoid arthritis , very weak , and deformed hands , due to the disease,
Her CCW is a LCR 38. thatshe can handle pretty good,
It has the easiest DAO trigger of all the revolvers we tried for her, (the only one she could actually pull).

Yes, it has recoil, but she dont shoot it a lott , maybe 10 rounds a month , just to keep the feel.
Its not a range gun.

If you could try one , at a range , you may be able to handle it.

Just a thought.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts