What, besides guns, are you fascinated with/passionate about/into?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by hodge, Aug 28, 2016.

1. hodge

hodge New Member

Simple question- what other passions or hobbies do you have?

I've always loved machinery. I am especially into tractors, in general, and have a small fabrication business building 3 point hitch parts. Intricate to that is welding, which I had always wanted to get into. I love to weld and fabricate, and learn more about the science and art.

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

I collect Knives and Zippo Lighters....starting way back when I traveled for the DoD.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Auto repair,been doing it since I was 16 and even went to trade school for it.

4. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Have been into metaphysics for over 30 years and I never stop being amazed by the directing -e-motion has above and beyond the physical.

5. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

More so than the Ruger firearms for me is the memorabilia. Been focusing on that for a few years now. Some is here: The "stuff".

Away from the firearms... HUGE Disney fan. Disney Vacation Club members for a decade now and constant looking forward to our next visit to WDW. Always something new to see, eat and enjoy. A big part is seeing the faces on people, the kids especially, as they see their favorite character, get that first glimpse of the castle, the fireworks, etc. Past few years we've started bringing family and friends with us to share the enjoyment. Next yr is a BIGGIE for me in this regard. :)
    Also enjoy hiking with my son and the occasional motorcycle ride.

6. greg_r

greg_r Well-Known Member

Fish tanks. I do not actually have any running now, but I like biotope tanks. Emulating the natural habitats the fish came from.

7. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Motorcycle roadracing, High Performance motorcycle tuning, NASCAR and most any kind of racing.
    Karate back when my body was able.

8. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I do a little woodworking at times , not as much as I would like to.

hobby.jpg

hobby1.jpg

hobby2.jpg

hobby3.jpg

Jim

9. hodge

hodge New Member

Wow- thanks for sharing, so far. It is great to see what other interests you have, and adds depth that isn't always experienced on forums.

10. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Jim, those wood pieces you did are amazing!

11. spikedriver

spikedriver Active Member

I love to read. Specifically I love to read biographies and autobiographies of people who were involved in important points in American history. I love the accounts of personal courage and the reasoning behind the decisions people make in times of crisis. I've been reading first hand accounts of Vietnam recently. I recommend "Hunter - Killer Squadron", it's a fascinating look at the Air Cavalry war in Vietnam.

12. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Thanks,
    I got lots of enjoyment from making that stuff.

Jim

13. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Jim,

You are an artist with your woodworking. I can take a 3' piece of walnut and turn it into sawdust in minutes
    :cryinglaugh:
    Some of my other interests are working on Model A Fords and all older cars (helping buddies) with theirs and
    doing welding projects. I have built cars from the ground up doing restorations and modifications (hot rods) and taking my wife and dog to car shows. I enjoy creative welding, taking scrap irons and making yard art or different projects such as flower beds out of steel, stuff like that. A few years ago I had an accident and burnt my entire back so getting up and down have really limited me to what I can do. Besides having a crushed vertebrae it really slowed me down. My metal working tools include an english wheel, brake, seam roller, my molding tree stump, cutting torch, MIG welder, chop saw, and lateral band saw for angle cutting. I have a lot of guys who come over and want special steel parts made for their rods so I end up making them. I usually charge 1 chocolate malt per hour of work plus materials. Ain't getting rich, but it keeps me busy. The summertime here though shuts me down due to the heat so fall and winter are my busy times.

Tommy-from the land of the sizzling sun Az.

14. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Shooter,

Here are a couple of knives I have had over the years. Your Bowie looks much like my Cutco and the other knife is a Ka-Bar which a buddy of mine brought back from Korea after the war. I don't know why they loaded upside down. I sure ain't no computer whiz, that's for sure.

knife.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  15. SHOOTER13

Very nice Tommy...

Here are a few more favorites...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SHOOTER13

17. paulruger

paulruger Active Member

Astronomy, 35 mm photography, gunsmithing, handloading, bullet casting, vintage sports cars, stereo equiptment, speaker building.

18. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

I enjoy golf, taking care of the grandkids. I collect knives, swords, canes and owls (have a 162 statuettes). :D

19. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I have heard those owls are great for drawing crows in when hunting. They also work great at chasing birds out of buildings. Saw that at work and couldn't believe how quick the little birds left the building.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

That is what I heard too. I have a porcelain Eagle Owl made in Spain, I picked up for $10 that turned out to be worth $270.00. It pays to go to thrift stores.:D