What a shotgun?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Jul 22, 2013.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I am not, and never ahve been into shotguns very much.
    About all I know is I use #6 shot to hit a rabbit on the ru, as I could never hit him running with a .22.

Yes, I have a few, and I shoot them, ocassionaly.

But I have a question,

I came across this beautiful Marlin 12ga bolt action at a LGS.
    Like new , beautiful wood , with beautiful checkering,
    but... It has a rifled barrel.
    The guy said it is great for certain type slugs , accurate at 100 yards.

Is it?
    Certain type?

Now ....how does that rifling affect shot shell pellets?
    I can also shoot slugs with my smooth bore guns.

If this thing can throw a huge slug accurately at 100 yds, then I might be interested,
    Because my 45-70 Govt rifle throws a fairly big piece of lead accurate at 100yds, and cost 3-4 times as much as that shotgun.

Anybody help me out ?

Jim
    btw, I think its a Marlin 512 Slugmaster.

2. Don

Don Member

I'll be glad to shed a little light on it. First of all shooting birdshot or buckshot out of a rifled barrel is a hit or miss proposition and most the time it's miss. It is not intended for birds or clays. That barrel isn't even intended for the old traditional Forster or Brenneke slugs either. It is intended for the use of sabot slugs. That would be slugs that are factory loaded in a plastic sabot or sleeve that will ride the rifling of the barrel and drop away once it exits the barrel. I believe the slug itself is usually 44 or 45 caliber Premium bullet in the 300 grain class though I believe there are some specialty slugs loaded in sabots too. The ballistics are very similar to 45-70 loads. They can be very accurate well past the 100 yard range depending on matching the right load to the right gun and maybe adding a scope. Some claim 200 yard ranges and I can't argue with them.
    Hope this helps and I hope you are happy with the gun.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013

3. phideaux

Hi Don,
    I did not buy it, I was just looking at it, it was so beautiful.

Cant say it didnt get me interested, but like I said ,Im not into shotguns, and just got curious about why they go to the expense of rifling the barrel.
    So , can you not shoot regular old slugs thru a rifled barrel?

Im also picturing what would happen to buckshot spinning out the end of the barrel, and I dont think I would like the results.

Now Im really thinking , why the heck would I even want a rifled shotgun barrel.:)
    What could I do with it other thanshoot special, expensive Im sure, saboted slugs.

Jim

4. Don

Don Member

Phideaux, I'm with you as to understanding the usefulness of it. But in some states and in some management areas they are desiganted shotgun only for deer hunting. The range on a traditional slug is much greater than buckshot so it maximizes the effectiveness of the required shotgun. They do not recommend using traditional slugs in a rifled barrel. The old "rifled" slugs have little "fins" cut into the soft lead to crush as it passes down the barrel. It gives it a tight fit and better accuracy. If you used those in a rifled barrel you would probably get a lot of leading that you do not want.
    Those heavy old slugs are immensely effective in a smooth bore within there designed ranges but rifling the barrel and using the sabot rounds doubles or triples the effective range the shotgun. Yes they are expensive.
    My Mossberg 835 came with a 2nd barrel, rifled w/sights. I am impressed with the accuracy but........ where I live, I can hunt with a "real rifle".:)

5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I've had both and my Mossberg 500 and it's rifled barrel is a lot more accurate than any smooth bore I've owned.Personally I don't use the Mossberg but my son and wife have.I use handguns,muzzle loaders and a new 44 mag rifle myself ;).

6. phideaux

Yeah, thats what Im talkin bout.

I think Imma gonna stay with the real rifles.;):)

Jim

7. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Are you saying you were told the rifled barrel would make shot more accurate? Rifles shotgun barrels are for slugs.

8. phideaux

No,
    I wasnt told that,
    I was told the rifled barrel would make certain slugs more accurate.

I can only imagine what it would do to buckshot , and that would probably be that they would be spinning in a big circle and fly outwards everywhere, Im just guessing, cuz I dont know.

I cant think of any reason that I would want a rifled barrel on a shotgun, except to accurately shoot a certain type slug ,for deer hunting.
    Therefore I will stick with my rifles.

Jim

9. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Yeah, if you were in Ohio you'd be hunting deer with a slug because rifles aren't allowed. Stupid Ohio. :mad:

10. Don

Don Member

ditto for Illinois..........

11. squirrelhunter

Almost that way in Indiana,except for handguns and rifles of handgun caliber like 357 mag,44 mag etc,no 30-30 or 30-06 or any other rifle calibers though,unless in a handgun.That all makes since huh :confused:??? Nothing like confusing laws :rolleyes:.

12. phideaux

2 Weeks in Nov, in Ky.

You can hunt with a bazooka if your so mind.:D

Other seasons open here for Muzzle loaders, and Bow.

Shot guns are for Turkey here, but no slugs.

Jim

13. squirrelhunter

I know what you mean,when I lived in Ky. I loved being able to deer hunt with whatever came to mind.:D

14. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

I go fishing in ky with a shotgun lol

15. phideaux

Yep,

We call that lazy mans fishing.:D

Jim

16. Blaze

Blaze New Member Lifetime Supporter

Well it fits me then. I'm lazy lol

17. squirrelhunter

I loved turtle hunting with a .22 in Ky,can't even do that here :(.

18. buildit

buildit Goofy Owner

Try that on real turtles. ;)
    [​IMG]

19. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

My Benelli - a smoothbore -shoots the rifled Brenkee slugs fantastic. Cloverleafs three shots at 75 yes if I do my part. For it's configuration, I never bothered with shot. I know if I was to buy a rifled shotgun, or a new barrel for the Benelli, I wouldn't even be thinking how shot would do in it. Buy for it's intention. If you want to use both shot and slugs, rifled chokes.

20. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

1/4 sticks of dynamite work best for trout and bass...:rolleyes: