Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a girl turing 16 this year that has been hunting with me since she was 6. She has has for the past 5 saying that she wanted a 22 pistol for her 16th birthday. She shots a 243 hunting and sometimes cares my single six 6 1/2 for snakes and such. My SS stainless is really to big for her so I was looking at other sizes and model's of 22.. I had thought about a smaller SS in blue so it's lighter or even a Bearcat with sights. I not sure about the Bearcat as she would have to load at 1/2 cocktail then would have to get it safe again. I lover single actions but what suggestions do you have..single or double ..which one. .etc
bowdier

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Charter Pathfinder is pretty decent and not too large. S&W Model 63, or a GP100 .22. The Heritgae Rough Rider is cheap but I love mine.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I know you're looking for a revolver but you might consider a Ruger Mark IV, really good gun and easy to disassemble to clean unlike the Mark I, II and III.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
I don't know how much you can spend. The Ruger SP101 (stainless) is actually a couple ounces lighter with the available 4.2" barrel than is the blue Single Six with 4.62" barrel. It's over a hundred bucks more expensive though. Of course it would last her 'til she's an ornery old woman, so there is that.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I have two Heritage Rough Riders, one in four inch with the additional magnum cylinder which I had to bend and file the front sight because it shot low left four inches from a bag. The other is a 6" that shoots okay and have not had any problems with it. They both have fairly decent triggers and are both single action only. I paid around $150 each for them new from Academy.
I think a double/single action would be better for an all around plinker or woods gun. I wouldn't want a heavy revolver for shooting 22lr because the weight is not only not needed it becomes very noticeable carrying around. I would want something light but still good quality. The important thing to check on a 22 revolver da/sa is how heavy is the DA trigger action. Some revolvers and possibly more so on a 22lr is they might have a heavy pull trigger. You might have her try shooting one to see if she likes it before buying any gun. Hickok45 has a video on the Taurus model 94 22lr and he reported the da trigger is very heavy. The SP101 22lr has a lighter trigger than the 94.
A fairly decent trigger is the advantage of a single action 22lr revolver over a da/sa.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks buster..I will check out those videos. We shoot the single six a lot..and also she shoots my Mark 3..I will have to get her to the store to try the SP101

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
The LCR 22 , or the SR22 may be a good fit for her also.

Have her at least handle one.

Jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would recommend the SP101. It's around a third less weight than a single-six, and it's double action.

If there is a chance that I might have to shoot something in a hurry (like a snake) I prefer the double action for that split second of increase in speed.

Also I like having the ability to fire with either hand without any fumbling
- If I was forced to use my left hand to shoot with, and didn't have the time to consider and plan out my actions before doing so I think there is a chance I would fumble while trying to cock the hammer with my less dominant hand - I can be kind of a klutz.

I've also seen women (and men) at the range who use one hand to cock single action revolvers and the other to fire it - does your daughter fall into this category? This could make one handed use of a single action very difficult for them.

Also unless the hammer is shrouded like in the LCR, just because the revolver is a double action doesn't mean you can't shoot it like a single action and benefit from the lighter trigger pull. It just means you also have the benefit of being able to shoot without cocking by hand if you wish too.

disclaimer: I've never actually ever been in a situation where speed of fire mattered, or where I was forced to use my less dominant hand, but I can imagine the need being there.

side note (AKA information you neither need or want to know): Every instance where I killed a snake (a few rattlesnakes in Montana and several copperheads in Georgia when I was Army) I never had a firearm with me. The rattlesnakes I decapitated with a shovel, or in one instance I pulped it's head with a fence post. The copperheads I held down with a stick and then stomped to death.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good point about DA for snakes..We are in FL and shot several moccasins 2 years ago when it was so wet..last year only 1while scouting stands..Last year I started letting her carry my singles in with snakeshot in it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for eplys...it is a beautiful bearcat...I got her a pass to throw NRA convention next week..That way she can handle and compare all at the Ruger booth...look at all the single sixs...blue and steel and at the 101...looking forward to it..will be my first time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My wife has the Heritage Rough Rider .22lr and it is a great gun for a 16 year old young lady. It is easy to fire, single shot and it loads through a loading gate. I personally would get her used to gently dropping the hammer from the loading position to the safe position, it's not tough to do on a Rough Rider. My wife loves hers, and she hasn't had a problem yet with returning the hammer to the safe position.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
7,454 Posts
+1 for the Heritage Rough Rider...just got one myself.

Single Action only...it will teach her the fundamentals of shooting a SA, a good skill to know.

It's an easy gun to handle with smaller hands too...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
looks like leaning towards the Single Six 4 5/8 in stainless steel. ..now looking for leather holster could wear either right sided or crossdraw...getting a rim fire belt from dengo leather works..mathese mine..love the simple clean look of his rim fire belts.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts