Well, there goes Colt.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by phideaux, Jun 16, 2015.

1. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Years ago I had many Colt firearms as they were the "grandfather" of the pistol industry. When they started making the 1911 80 series they were starting to bow down to the government then. I had a 70 series National Match which I stupidly sold. Colt has lived on it's reputation for years. Smith & Wesson also bowed to the government years ago. The antis rail over this! Bloomberg is probably reveling in this bankruptcy. I just hope the other manufacturers will not bow down and hopefully Ruger will be one of them. Obama is still trying to get his way. If he can't get our guns, or ammo which he has tried, he will do it another way. Believe me, this guy has his own agenda and if he gets his way, our country is going to be nothing but another 3rd world country. We are almost there now. Just MHO!
    Tommy

3. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Ha ha watch Obama bail them out and the government will own most of Colt like it did with GM.

4. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Sorcerer

Quality down , price up . Will not work , not for long anyway .

Sorcerer

5. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the forum Sorcerer,

Thanks for joining.

I would like to see you in Introductions, tell us a little about yourself.

Thanks

Jim

6. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Sorcerer

I will do that when I can get the intros . to open up for me . I need to refresh every thread to open up .

Sorry for off topic response

7. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Colt had been through this before...almost since it's founding in 1855.

It will be back again...Chapter 11 just get the creditors off it's back...

8. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Buster,
    I don't want to burst your bubble but this is what Obama wanted. He is totally against any type of weapon or ammo in the hands of the general public. If you watch TV you can see the caucasian lady who said she was born Afro-American and grew up in a TV. Calls herself "trans-ethnicity". I guess that's ok cuz Bruze Jenner is a trans-sexual. I think Obama was a trans-ethnicity. I have informed reports that he, prior to becoming president, was Alfred E. Neuman, poster boy for MAD magazine. Just MHO!!
    Tommy

9. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I see it as simply relying on their brand name more than bringing anything innovative to the market. Sure there's little really to bring as far as brand new innovation but I cannot remember the last time Colt really was in the headlines for a new product. 1911's can carry a manufacturer if you have the quality. If you're Colt...;)

10. buster40c

I read that Colt lost out on military rifle contract and most police departments going to Glock was the major cause of this.
    I think another cause is Colt doesn't have an edge on any makers for quality or appearance. If Colt's higher price isn't warranted then no doubt Colt will sell less. Duh I could have had a V-8.

11. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

It has been years since I have bought a Colt but in the early 70's they were the pistol to have. I have always had a desire for a Peacemaker (repro is fine) but Colt has just failed to keep up with cosmetics and technology. The 70 series 1911 was a great pistol. I have a National Match Grade 70 series and like a dummy, ended up trading it. Then they went to the 80 series with the trigger guard and that was a joke. I think the lawyers talked them into that. But now, once in a while I look at their pricing and look at the quality of their product and I am not impressed. I think Ruger makes a good 1911 and so does Kimber, but I can't afford a Kimber and am not fond of a plastic main spring. Don't know why. I guess I am not a Tupperware fan. Sorry Buster, didn't mean to burst your bubble.
    Tommy

12. buster40c

That's ok my plastic main spring hasn't busted my bubble yet.
    BTW I just read that Colt as well as some S&W also uses a plastic main spring housing.
    I looked at my Kimber and if that housing breaks seated in between two pieces of metal I will be surprised. If there was a real problem with this then the part failure would be all over the gun forums but it isn't.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015