Weird 1911 problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Center Fire Pistols' started by jmiller216, Aug 8, 2016.

1. jmiller216

jmiller216 New Member

Ok so I went shooting earlier today and my sr1911 incidentally fell into a cooler of ice water, no worries it was unloaded. So I immediately get it out of the water shake it off and dry it off, brought it home cleaned it and oiled it. As I was doing the function check I would cock the hammer, engage the safety and pull the trigger everything was fine to that point. When I released the safety the hammer drops to half cock. Ok so I take it completely apart down to the sear and disconnect, wiped everything down put some clp on all the parts wipe them down again and put it back together do my function check and the hammer dropped to half cock when I disengage the safety again. I tried to get it to do it again but couldn't after that first time upon reassembly. While I had it apart I checked all the parts for wear and all I could find was on the top of the disconnect and some on the sear spring but I wouldn't call any of it extreme wear. Any ideas? Is it safe to carry?

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I would contact Ruger customer service. They have qualified techs available to speak with you on the phone. They are located in Prescott, Az. If you need the phone number, send me a pm and I will send it to you. I don't think we can post numbers on our thread.

Tommy

3. RavenU

RavenU In the army now..

Not a weird problem at all; and, actually, a rather common one!

What you do not have is a, 'wear problem'. The trouble is with your SR1911's mainspring. Looking at the mainspring in the installed position; you need to apply a little more bend on the left hand (sear) finger.

You seem to know how to disassemble the frame. If you, also, know how to remove the mainspring then fine; you can adjust the left side spring finger, yourself. If you don't, or if you aren't comfortable doing this, then take your SR1911 to any qualified 1911 pistolsmith, and let him do it for you.

I ran a number of 1911 pattern (Colt) pistols for more than a quarter century; I don't think a year went by that I didn't have to make some sort of adjustment to a mainspring. Here's a few YouTube videos from amateur (really sloppy) 1911 mechanics that - if nothing else - will explain how a mainspring is supposed to work.

WARNING: One of these dudes does NOT chamber-check and clear the weapon BEFORE he begins to work on it; but I know you're not going to make the same mistake. (Right!) ;)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0dZjfrnDik[/ame]

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJtOJcksih4[/ame]

PS: I have absolutely no idea what the knife is for? :D

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016