Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went to the range and fired 200 rounds with my Commander. There has been so much talk about stances and which one is best, so I thought I would switch around and see how I shot best. Many years ago the military taught us the Weaver stance stating that you made yourself less of a target. Today when I shot @30 feet I could hold all my shots within a 5" pattern. I know I can shoot better however since this was experimentation day, I elected to see what worked best. I ended up with a semi modified Weaver stance. Being right handed, my right foot was back and left foot forward. My arms were NOT fully extended and had a "crook" in my left arm. I have tried to Isosceles stance and find myself leaning a little too much forward and feel off balance. With the full Weaver stance, I tend to pull my shots just a hair to the left. What stances do you guys and gals use? Now one thing, I am pushing 70 yrs. old and don't have the agility I used to have in my back but am not crippled (well, maybe mentally but not completely, laughing!) Would like to hear back from you folks and what works for you. Thanks to all!!
Tommy:D

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
I was a right handed shooter all my life, but due to a severe injury to my right hand 3 yrs ago, I had to train myself to use a left hand grip.

I use to shoot in the weaver stance, which was a natural for me being a natural right hander.

Now , I grip and shoot best in the Isosceles stance , with slight elbow bend ,using them as shock absorbers , for S&W 500 and 460 magnum.

It is still not completely natural, but is most comfortable for me.

Jim

·
Registered
182 Posts
Over the years I have learned and used all of the listed stances. As an instructor I have taught all of them.

What I have learned is, as long as you can maintain your balance it don't matter where your feet are. As long as you can maintain a useful grip and line up the sights it don't matter where/how you place your arms.

And because I am old, grouchy, busted up, broke down, and left handed, I am not inclined to worry about how I "look" when I'm shoot'n.

For those of you that care about form, please do carry on. All that matters is that you shoot well, hitting what needs to be hit.

:eek::spot::spot::spot:

·
Tommycourt
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a right handed shooter all my life, but due to a severe injury to my right hand 3 yrs ago, I had to train myself to use a left hand grip.

I use to shoot in the weaver stance, which was a natural for me being a natural right hander.

Now , I grip and shoot best in the Isosceles stance , with slight elbow bend ,using them as shock absorbers , for S&W 500 and 460 magnum.

It is still not completely natural, but is most comfortable for me.

Jim
Jim,
If I was shooting your S&W 500 or your 460 magnum they would have to prop me up against a tree and tie me to it so it wouldn't knock me down!!!!
Between that and all your .22's you have an arsenal and when the SHTF I am coming to your house for protection!!!~!:greenlittle:

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Im in the process of trying to buy a TC Contender pistol in 45-70 gov.

Im excited about another hand cannon , that may be joining my line up.

I do have to agree with Lefty about shooting from what fits ya stance.

I worked very hard to find what worked best for me , after the injury to my right hand. It definitely took longer than I thought it would.

I always practiced ,some, shooting lefty, but I found out , it wasnt nearly enough .

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think you learn the basics with the Isos. and Weaver stances. That's just a starting point. I find that as you get older or have to deal with physical conditions you should adjust. You must be stable, balanced and comfortable. Now, do what you gotta do. I normally use the range mid day mid week with a lot of other retired people. I see a lot of adjustments.

·
Premium Member
2,733 Posts
Since I couldn't use the range this winter, I've been playing with stances - and the, ah, philosophy behind them. I think I will stay with isosceles for the single actions, because I need the left hand to cock the hammer anyway. For the HD/SD semiautos, I'm going to try to make the old one handed stance work - with either hand - because there seem to be a multitude of scenarios where iso would cost me cover, and if I'm still in bed it has to be one hand anyway. Hah. A few range sessions of severe scattering may force modifications.

·
Registered
182 Posts
One should consider that a Self Defense situation is a dynamic action. It does not even resemble a "stand and deliver" range situation.

Yes! You need to learn the basics first. But if you just "stand and deliver" during self defense, you are very likely to earn a trip to the Hospital, or worse. For "normal" shooing, hunting, ect. it don't really matter much, 'cause you ain't facing death.

Just my not so humble opinion. ;):spot::spot:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts