Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 17 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
We got the wind and the rain today from that hurricane all the way up here north, my guess is as it past the Carolina's. Power went down 3x it just came back on but only this time the generator never kicked on so I was in total darkness, it was only down for around 15 minutes. I wonder if the generator ran out of fuel, as it had to operate today for around 8-10 hours.

At least I know what will work when it kicks on. I get refrigerator but no stove to cook anything. Outlet on in the living room and the kitchen light and I get hot water. Internet stayed on but my computer went to battery and I don't know how long it's good for.

I'm going to try and reach out in the morning to the property management people and let them know on the 3rd outage the generator failed to kick on.
This will be very interesting this winter with the ice and snow storms.

I'm gonna ask about buying a microwave and plugging it into the regenerator outlet if it would over load anything, at least I'd have a way to cook. I ain't running no camp stove inside and end up dead.

·
Registered
294 Posts
First snow of the winter season 2019-2020, looks like it came in early am, very light. Some scattered flurries as I post. Was not set to start until Friday, don't think it will stick as the temp is set to get to over 40 today.

Last week we lost power for almost 24 hours as we had a major wind storm come in. You could hear the trees in the woods snapping in half that's how powerful the wind gust were getting. Went down the hill yesterday for an apt. and you could see the tree's everywhere off to the edge of the woods. And most of them by the size of them could hurt you bad if they hit you or even kill ya.

·
Registered
294 Posts
First major snow of the season, started yesterday afternoon still coming down this am. Snow warning in effect until 7:00 pm today.

This is looking out my bedroom window.

Looks like I can't get out the front door, will wait for the caretaker to come and snow-blow us an opening.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I hope your window isn't on the second floor.
We are all ground level, but it looks like it's already half way up and our winters up here can even go into May with annual snow falls of 112 + inches . A couple more like this one and I won't even be able to open the window. o_O

_____

Update:
early afternoon

Got a path out and they had me move my car so they could run the plow through. It seem like the car struggled to start so I took it out on the road to juice the battery up and am rather happy to report the squirrel with my snow tires handled it like a champ, a couple close calls but the tires got me out of it.

Went ahead when I got back and put my 2.5 watt trickle solar charger out on top of the plastic sheeting I use to keep the ice off the windows. Even overcast it will still put some juice back in the battery.
Arctic front now heading our way.

Stay tuned ..

·
Registered
294 Posts
When is the snow going to leave you Quirky?
Howdy RL,

It's tapering off some now as we head into evening, suppose to end tonight and then come back in on Thursday but they are saying it will be light.

As far as Texas goes, yeah I hear ya, lived down that way for over 9 years. Never worried if the car would start. :)
I wish we had carports cause the moving the car back and forth so they can plow the lot gets old. But it's still better then were I use to live down the hill as I had to park in a public lot when there was a street snow ban. Had to be out of the lot by 7:00 am or you got towed and the lot was a 1/2 mile walk on a cane with shovel in the other hand.

But we got only around 3/4 of the annual snowfall that we will get up were I'm at now.
Today was the first time I drove a rear wheel drive vehicle in the snow in a quarter century.
What a difference then when I drove my Ford Ranger 2x2 those years ago. That truck was a death trap in the snow.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Holding steady this am at 8 and -10 with the wind chill.

Snow still coming down but very light, had to go out and reattach my plastic sheeting because the wind blew it lose from the rubber bands I'm using to anchor it on the sides to the mirrors. Cold as a well diggers ass and by Saturday we are expected to be below zero.

Stay warm my friends. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Went down the hill yesterday for some grocery shopping early am and it was clear sailing, on the way back up we got hit with a small snow storm. The squirrel climbed it like a champ, a couple of close calls and thankfully those times the people behind me saw me getting ready to go over the side and backed off and gave me more room so I could recover.
Kept it in 3rd gear and the rpm's high.

That is cold!
How is it on the bones? I live in southern California, the weather here is nice.

Hey Mag,

Oh yeah no doubt, I lived out your way for over 15 years. I left over a quarter century ago.
The key in the cold/snow belt is knowing how to dress and if you live in a windy area it's right to the bone. It's not horrible were I'm at more of a pain in the ass.

But I might be moving again in the future and were I'm thinking of going is very windy and their winters last even longer, however they don't get near the amount of snow we do, but it gets cold with that wind chill.

(spell check)_____________________>

·
Registered
294 Posts
Holding steady this am at -15 and -33 with the wind chill.

A few more months and I'll be able to get the squirrel cleaned up.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So a couple of weeks ago I moved out to the west and thought the late snow fall was over for the year, that is until I just woke up from a nap. And considering that just a few days ago it was in the 80's here this was a real surprise, however not unusual here even in June.

·
Registered
294 Posts
When I got up this morning it was still snowing but it seem to be right on the border of rain and snow, consequently I loss power and the internet and so could not post. Not sure when it went out but it was out for around 8 hours or so. It looks like we got 5-6 inches but when I went out in the car some area's of the city looked like they got even more. I went over to Walmart and they were running 2 big cat plows in the lot and of course they had no power either.

back to the boots :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Our first snow of the season this am has arrived a tad early, forecast for 5-10 inches with wind gusting to 35-50 miles an hour and shutting down hwy. 80 in our area because of the drifts. Suppose to end by sunrise tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 18 Posts