Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GP100 Gunslinger
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I ever posted this on here but I could be wrong. This is my son and I's hunting buggy in progress. So one of the projects I've gotten into over the past year and a half is this project truck that we lovingly refer to as the Vader Van. I rigged it for power, 110v, generator power, and also inverter power. The guy who had it before me let it go to ****. Problem was everything was hidden under industrial rubber. I found out about the rust when my knee went through the floor. I had no choice but to fix it. The also cut the driveshaft sleeve instead of fixing the rear end's leaf spring problems. I had to remedy those as well. I plan on putting on airbags eventually. It's been a nice learning project for me and my son. The thing I like the best is that it just disappears in the dark since I painted it flat black.













The guy who had it before me tried to cobble an ac into the window. Atrocious.


Until I can mount one on the roof I streamlined it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,549 Posts
That's a good start on a SHTF vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
+1 on that ^^^^

Very cool project. What's left before it's finished?
 

·
GP100 Gunslinger
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've put laminate flooring inside the box and have lighting and outlets ran. I'm insulating the inside at the moment. I have a 50 gallon fuel tank behind the cab that I need to take out so I can expand the box. I also found rust inside the pillars of the cab. So I'm going to chop the top maybe this summer and weld a new one onto the cab. That's the biggest problem at the moment because I can't replace the windshield until I get that done. Other than the airbag suspension it's nearly done. The only other thing I'd like to do is put a safari platform on top of the box so I can throw supplies up on the roof or use it as a mobile deer stand. I can pull my boat with it and camp by the water in it. M

Also it's a mechanical diesel and the transmission is new. I shouldn't have problems mechanically. I have had problems with belts being thrown off, but I think that's because it's missing a pulley somewhere and the previous owner had it jury rigged. I just haven't had time to mess with that part yet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,733 Posts
Wow! What a challenge. That thing is/was some rusty. When you get it all spiffed up and can't find anything else to fix, we'll need a photo tour.

:popcorn:

I expect to be wowed all over again.

:Cooltu:
 

·
Tommycourt
Joined
·
2,139 Posts
Lord knows I have had my share of running into projects like that! If you have accessibility to seam roller and some 16 or 18 gauge steel you have cut out all the rust and build the new floor. However when you run into where someone else had "hidden" all the bugs, it's hard telling what you will run into. If you can get a brake and seam roller it will be much easier to build the floor and new re-enforced sides. Putting in the insullation is a very smart thing to do, both for noise and heat. The seam roller will add strength to the floor pan and many times will allow you to use a lighter gauge material such as 18gauge instead of 16ga. It's look as though you have done some of this type of work before. When it comes to chopping the top, then you are in for a lot of work just to get the A pillar slanted back in the right direction and refitting the top. If you were here I would certainly help you but it takes a lot of time and planning. The square tubing appears to be 1"x 1/2" which will give you stability. A good die grinder and cutting blades will aid you in saving time and expense but I imagine you have figured that out already. All I can say is good luck. You have my deepest sympathy but through hard work and perseverance, it can be done. Just don't get into a big hurry. I have made a lot of cardboard templates in those kind of jobs and it's so much easier when it comes to cutting and fitting. Again good luck and keep us up on your progression!!!!!

My very best wishes,

Tommy
 

·
GP100 Gunslinger
Joined
·
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lord knows I have had my share of running into projects like that! If you have accessibility to seam roller and some 16 or 18 gauge steel you have cut out all the rust and build the new floor. However when you run into where someone else had "hidden" all the bugs, it's hard telling what you will run into. If you can get a brake and seam roller it will be much easier to build the floor and new re-enforced sides. Putting in the insullation is a very smart thing to do, both for noise and heat. The seam roller will add strength to the floor pan and many times will allow you to use a lighter gauge material such as 18gauge instead of 16ga. It's look as though you have done some of this type of work before. When it comes to chopping the top, then you are in for a lot of work just to get the A pillar slanted back in the right direction and refitting the top. If you were here I would certainly help you but it takes a lot of time and planning. The square tubing appears to be 1"x 1/2" which will give you stability. A good die grinder and cutting blades will aid you in saving time and expense but I imagine you have figured that out already. All I can say is good luck. You have my deepest sympathy but through hard work and perseverance, it can be done. Just don't get into a big hurry. I have made a lot of cardboard templates in those kind of jobs and it's so much easier when it comes to cutting and fitting. Again good luck and keep us up on your progression!!!!!

My very best wishes,

Tommy
Yeah when I did the floor last year I ordered prefabricated floor pans
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top