WBR 100th ann ammo

Discussion in 'Ruger Firearms Accessories' started by Blkhawk73, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

I ordered a couple boxes of each for the Ruger room shelves. Anyone else grabbing some?

[​IMG]

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Just seen the commercial for it on the Outdoor and Sportsmans Channels...where did you buy yours !?

3. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

ShopRuger.com

it's a pre-oder thing. pay foe and order now, ships later on. May buy couple more.

4. SavageGuy

SavageGuy Active Member

Cool looking ammo. Kinda expensive tho, right?

5. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

It's for Ruger collectors. Not to be fired unless the zombies come - and you got nothing else to throw at them.

6. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Depends... Compared to some Weatherby ammo, it's a bargain. Compared to the WBR "birthday" ammo, it's still a deal. Sometimes it's not about $ but just the satisfaction of filling a void in the collection. Can't always think with the wallet.

7. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I bought some 9mm ammo yesterday for my new SR1911 9mm for self defense and it was Hornady XTP. They had some of this ammo at Sportsman's and I opened a box and took a look at them. From what I have seen, they are a lot like the Underwood round and do basically the same thing. They don't frag like a hollow point and seem to hold their shape even after a gelatin test or where some one killed a deer. They leave a nasty hole and have a funny spin inside of the deer that was shot. My only concern is will they exit the target and how big will the wound be? Don't ask me how much they were a box cuz I have a hard time chewing gum and walking at the same time BUT it seems to me that they were about $26.00 for a box of 20. My Hornady's cost $18.99. Personally, and MHO is that for self defense I will use the Hornady's.

Tommy

P.S. - I lied! After re-inspection of your round, the ones I looked at are the ARX or something like that. It does NOT have a hollow point. It is a round nose with fluted ends.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  8. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Which weight bullet did you go with Tommy? I use the Hornady 124 grain XTP.:)

9. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

Handy,

I did the same thing. I went with the 124grn. I did some reading on the XTP and although not really great on expansion, the article said it was great for accuracy. The article I read showed where they shot a deer and a javalina and the wound channel was extensive. They extracted the bullet and it was mushroomed although not quite as much as some of the other rounds but it looked like it was about 75% of what was left. I was looking for 9mm Hornady Critical Defense but they had none in stock.

Tommy

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporter

Speaking about the ARX...

The .45 Auto (ACP) ARX loads come 20 rounds to a box, has a brass case and a FRANGIBLE bullet weighing 118 grains with a muzzle velocity of 1307 fps producing 448 foot pounds of energy. My friends chronograph has the .45 load in my Colt Gold Cup National Match 1911a1 and a Glock30SF traveling with an average velocity of close to 1300 fps in both guns.

I also compared the ARX load to Cor Bon DPX 185 grain +P jacketed hollow points and Hornady Critical Defense ammo with a 185 grain FTX bullet.

The medium was an old car door. All three punched right through double layers of sheet metal, making big holes, and continued into the backstop.

It takes more than heavy sheet metal to stop these bullets, including the frangible ARX. As far as recoil and subjective feel was concerned... all three feel about the same in full size pistols... with the ARX felt recoil slightly milder due to projectile weight.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/ammo/index.html?r=y

http://www.polycaseammo.com/

11. Blkhawk73

Blkhawk73 Member

Have at least one box each of the Ruger bonded ARX ammo shelved as well.

As for this turn to defensive choices... I'd liked the Hornandy XTP and Remington Golden Saber for quite while but also the Federal Hyroshok which my P7M8 liked. Lately though I took liking to the Sig V-Crown and especially the Federal HST. All I've read and seen on this looks very good. Have gotten a bunch to see and could very likely be the load for the P2000sk hiking next yr.

12. MagBlackhawk

MagBlackhawk Patriot

Federal HST :Cooltu:

:GadsdenFlag:

13. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

I have a few comments to make on this subject, but they should be withheld until the new year. Their full import may be digestively unsettling. Someone remind me?