Waxing your gun

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by outlaw, Mar 12, 2013.

1. outlaw

outlaw New Member

Those of you that use Johnson paste wax or any other kind of wax on your blued guns do you clean them with alcohol first .

2. phideaux

phideaux Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Hey Outlaw,

I do not use alcohol, prior to waxing.

I did some fairly extensive research on this subject, and came to the conclusion, that the wax displace any moisture, will disolve and remove any greases, and oils, including oil from skin contact.

I simply wipe the gun down with a soft clean cloth, then apply the wax to ALL surfaces ,metal, polymer, and wood, then buff.
    Been doing this for years ,never seen and negative results.

I have been experimenting lately with Meguiars NXTgeneration 2.0
    car polish. It is a polymer based coating, that seems to work just as well, but stays and protects longer , more durable. I am still evaluating it at this time, but seems to be something I may use exclusively.
    I do use it on mags and bolts,and it sure makes em smooth, and waterproof.
    I did a steel mag, sprayed it with water, let it set for 2 days, no signs of rust, wiped off water spots with clean white cloth, no yellow residue at all, therefore ,no oxidation.

Just my findings, others may chime in with better ideas.

Jim

3. outlaw

outlaw New Member

Thanks for the feed back Jim I didnt know if the acohol would harm the blueing or not.
    It is nice to know that I can skip that step in waxing the gun.
    Let me know how the Meguiars works out
    Billy

4. FrogSwatter

FrogSwatter New Member

Learn something new every day. I had never heard of this Mr. Miyagi gun tip. So you just wax it like a car?

5. phideaux

Hey Fswatter,

I been using Johnsons paste floor wax for years ,
    I gently rub it on, with soft cloth, let sit 5 min, then buff it by hand with old white hanes sock.

Protects better than anything I know of ,for the metal and wood.
    Not in the bore.
    Lasts forever, still repels water after several months.

The last can I bought several years ago, is still 2/3 full, and I use it onmy woodworking projects also.

I would not use regular carwax.

I am trying a polymer base auto polish,its looking good also.

Jim

6. outlaw

outlaw New Member

waxing

7. Will

Will New Member

Strange, but this is the first I have heard of waxing guns. Sounds like a good idea.

8. outlaw

outlaw New Member

I know I could tell a big difference after I waxed mine for the first time

9. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

What is the purpose of waxing a gun? I never heard of doing it before.

10. grdad45

grdad45 New Member

Wax will protect the steel and wood from moisture and fingerprints. I used Johnson's Paste Wax on my shotguns when duck hunting, and never had a problem, even when my wet Lab stomped all over the guns!

11. uniongap

uniongap New Member

I use the same wax on all my guns. beats the oil feel and protects better!

12. phideaux

My neighbor brought over a little Boito SXS dbl barrel .410 today, for me to look at buying.
    It has been sitting in his garage for a couple years. It is a beautiful shotgun, so I took some Johnsons paste wax , rubbed the barrel really good ,then started buffing, and you could see a lot of orange color on the buff rag.
    The wax removed oxidation from the metal which you could not see before.
    Buffed it for a while , it shined like brand new. I got a spray bottle of water ,spray the barrel all over, he almost sharted, it beaded up ,and rolled off.Wiped it down, buffed a little, like new. He was impressed,

Im still negotiating the price;).

Dont be afraid to use the Johnsons Paste Wax, works very good, and protects longer than gun oil.

Jim

13. TINCANBANDIT

TINCANBANDIT Active Member

I have been using pure carnuba wax for a long time, works good for polishing blued guns that have some rust freckeling

14. Nogoat

Nogoat New Member

Thanks all for the inspiration, I have Johnson's wax around for wood projects, never occurred to use it on guns.

15. Redleg

Redleg New Member

I freely admit that I do not know everything.

I've been fooling around with guns since my Army days in 1975.

I have never heard of waxing guns. Not saying it's not a good idea; in fact I am intrigued. But I never heard of it before.

16. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

I just use the packets of wax in the bucket of water and throw the gun in it. Just don't do it in direct sunlight. I don't know why but that's what the directions say on the packet. Just kidding.
    I have stripped gun paint or bluing off and buffed the metal to shine. I wiped the bare metal with gun oil soaked rag. After a year the gun is still rust free.
    I have two shot guns that I wiped down with BLO { boiled linseed oil}. It cleaned up the few spots of surface rust and the surface finish looks good. I also wiped down my rifles with it. No rust appearing after over a year. Supposedly farmers used BLO to protect their farm equipment from rusting.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015