Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a very heavily used Standard pistol, and at the range discovered that it would stovepipe very often; maybe once per magazine. I bought the Volquartsen extractor and tune-up kit and broke down the bolt and replaced the firing pin and the extractor.

Back at the range, the gun was 99%, literally. I shot 100 rounds of cheap Centurion ammo through it and it had one malfunction that appeared to maybe be a bad round. It is no exaggeration to say that the improved extractor made this into a new gun. If you have a Mark pistol that is experiencing stovepipes it is cheap, easy, and likely effective to fix the problem by applying this "tune up" kit.

Here is the product I am referring to; I reviewed it on Amazon.com: ("Helpful" clicks appreciated; let Amazon know that we are looking at their gun-related products!)
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YCOSZNI6G0M5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

At one time I was hesitant to mess with the bolt assembly. Turns out that it is actually very easy to replace an extractor and the firing pin. Nice not to be afraid of this part of the gun.

Now the trigger and hammer groups; those I am afraid to mess with. :eek:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought a MKIII Hunter used at Carter Country here in Houston. Nothing but issues with rounds not chambering and not ejecting correctly. Gun was like new and I figured the guy must have had these issues and traded it in.

Subsequently I found it to be a rather common issue with the year mine was made. I bought new mags which helped a bunch and did some mods on the old mags as Ruger wouldn't take them back.

Also found that the ejection prob may be the rod being bent and trapping the shell.

I may look into the Volq kit as a further solution.

Thanks for the heads up that may help. This gun is so fun to shoot and looks great, I need to get it to run perfect as it looks

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can report that two of my Mark pistols that had stovepipe issues were completely fixed by replacing the stock extractor with the VQ extractor.

Here is a link to my review of the product on Amazon if you are interested. I also changed the firing pins to VQ at the same time.
("Helpful" clicks on Amazon appreciated; let Amazon know you are reading the reviews on gun products!!)

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1YCOSZNI6G0M5/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

·
Registered
246 Posts
no problems with mine (22/45 mk3 target) in that area but it is nice to know it isn't a fearful job. I don't know what mark # your is but with mark 3 it is easy to replace the sear. I tried just that and went from over 6 pounds down to a little over 2 (and smooth as butter) and it too was volquartsen. I held off on the trigger (although when I did the slingshot on mine {not necessary on older rugers}) removing the trigger group was easy . A hint I like to pass on are the wonderful how videos on youtube. good luck and thanks for the heads up when I need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts