VihtaVuori powder

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Oldhand, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand AKA Rawhidekid! Lifetime Supporter

Since Unique has not been available locally I have been using 700X and VV N320 in my 45 ACP. If you are unaware, VV gives hi velocity with low pressure. I found that at least in my SR45 the max load of 5.2 grains at 850 fps under a fmj 230 grain bullet gives the best accuracy. At 10 yards off hand I get one raged hole from my 10 round mag. (I'm 66 and were glasses), you youngens should do even better. It is more expensive at $39.95 a pound but you get what you pay for.:cool:

2. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

I have not been able to use VV powder as powder. Rifle powder is easy to come by but not pistol. My brother brought me a 4lb. keg from Ca and my neighbor brought me a 4lb. keg from Oregon however they brought me Alliant Power Pistol and Bullseye. Today was my range day and I can tell you that the Power Pistol is a very potent powder. I am loading .45 cal. 230 Berry plated RN, 6.7-6.9, COAL is 1.250. Power Pistol and it is a hot powder. Today I fired 50 rounds Power Pistol and 50 rounds of Titegroup and the recoil is more substantial on the Power Pistol. I am using RCBS Handy Dandy rotors and hand loading so my powder variance is due to the rotors I use. One thing I might mention, if you run across Power Pistol, make SURE you use the Lyman's reloading book and DO NOT supercede the loading recipe that they print. Alliant is very limited on the powder loading stats and finding any literature on it is very limited. I am sure you may be aware of this if you have used this powder however, if not, I like to advise everyone on the potency of the powder. With that said, again welcome to the forum and hope this may aid you in the future.

Tommy

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

When I got back into reloading - about a year and a half ago - the only pistol powder I could find was Vihtavuori 3N37. It is remarkably versatile (though a little slower burning than Unique). Since then I've been able to find powders for all my needs, and the Vihtavuori powders have priced themselves out of my order lists. I still have N310, N340, 3N37, N350, N105, N110, and N540 (a rifle powder) on hand. N110 is an interesting alternative to Hodgdon H110. It's a little faster burning, and burns cleaner than H110 except in near-max loads - where H110 shines.

4. Oldhand

In 9mm and 45acp the N320 meters well, burns clean and gives me the best accuracy. It does cost twice as much but I can get it here while I can't the old standbys.:cool:

5. Oldhand

I use the same powder measure as you, it can really restrict what loading we can use. I have had times it was either below the min or above the max on a given powder. Luckily it is right on the max for my 45acp.:cool: