Ruger Talk Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it was time to take the wife's ankle biters outside for their after lunch bathroom break. Got the little hairy one on the lease and started him out the door. He washesitating, so I gave him a jertk. He made a flying leap, about 2 feet. He turned around and stared at my wife's flower pot by the door and kepjerking on the lease. I can't see well, so i looked really hard. I could finally make out the dark diamonds and gray background of our local western diamondback rattlers. It had not alerted yet, no rattle. It was coiled right by the door and the first flower pot. Looked like a big cowpie with my bad eyes. I let the dog & lease go. I went for my Mossy 715T .22 rifle I keep near the front foor. It already has 2 to it's credit.

I had my LC9 on my hip, but shooting against the patio brick & concret walls is not a good thing with a large caliber. The .22 rifle bullets splatter and shred the snakes nicely. I stuck the gun barrel out the glass door. The snake still had not alerted. I let go three quick rounds across the boddy. That woke it up, It moved a foot back and started to rattle. It was hurt bad cause it left a trail of blood. I let another 3 go just for good measure and it did not move much anymore.

Now that woke up the dumbazz outside dogs that were sleeping 10 feet away under the car. Guess they never noticed it. Last one that got past them was a large 6 foot iIndigo. I had to chase the Indigo away to get the dogs off it. Stupid dogs will kill those and we need them for the rattlesnakes They would not get close to the rattler, even dead. The rattler was in the same place the Indigo was at. They eat mice that make their way down the outside wall to the flower pots and bird seed.

The patio bricks are 16 inches wide. It was 3 and a quarter bricks long. So, 4 feet and 4 inches. About the same as the other 2 I killed a couple of years ago. They were halfway down the patio by the wall, @ 3 feet away fronthe patio table where I was feeding the cats. The cats noticed those and got them rattling. this one was at the front door.

A pic of the unwanted visitor and the remedy.

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. My camera was right in front of hte A/C vent. It was 70 % or more humidity outside and near 90 degrees. My lense was fogged.

No, I don't use the skin, eat the meat, etc. I leave that for the snake charmers at the "Rattlesnake Roundup" in Freer, Texas about 50 miles west of here. Ate rattlesnake there. It was muchlike chicken. I just kill'em and get rid of them.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Damn, but, I wouldn't be feeding no birds by the front door if I were you; but, then again, if I were you I'd move!

·
Banned
12,933 Posts
Hey Pancho,

Them things will bite you.

Glad your safe man, good shooting.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, but, I wouldn't be feeding no birds by the front door if I were you; but, then again, if I were you I'd move!
It's the wife that has to have the bird feeders under the patio roof. That way she can see them from the front door when they eat. Guess she can watch the snakes eat the mice too if she wants.

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Think I will dig up some .38 spl. snake shotshells I have somewhere. I can load them in a Taurus 85 Ultralyte. then I can dig up a shoulder rig I have for a J frame, also somewhere in my junk. I can use my LC9 with ammo for pests of the 2 & 4 legged variety. The .38 shotshells for pests of the no legged variety when I go outside to cut brush. Never have seen a rattler out in the brush here.....yet. No, instead they come up on the patio.

·
Registered
8,549 Posts
I ran over a snake in the road today. That's as close as I want to get to a snake and for darn sure no rattler. Yep I see a snake and it's a dead snake if I can help it.
If I heard a rattler I would outrun my dogs getting away from it.

·
Old Timer
142 Posts
Saw a sidewinder in the park here a few years back. First one of those I had ever seen. Timbers are common.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts