ugly primer strikes

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by VThillman, Jan 25, 2016.

1. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

My photo-taking skills may make this query unanswerable, but...

if you can make them out, what do these examples indicate?

I bought a couple thousand pieces of once-fired police range brass a year or so ago. A majority of the caseheads I have looked at have firing pin hits like these.

While I'm at it - most of the cases are head stamped 'Speer'. many of them have a small number 13 at the 9 o'clock position...?

Attached Files:

2. buster40c

buster40c Well-Known Member

Those are the experimental fire pin ID marks made for identifying the gun that shot the bullet.
    ^^ I was just pulling your leg VT.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

3. VThillman

VThillman Active Member

Aha. Some of the marks are, ah, disruptive to the metal of the primer. I wonder if they got any blowbacks during their experiments.

4. Tommycourt

Tommycourt Tommycourt

To me, and this is just to me the difference seems to be in stryker fired pistols. I noticed those strike marks when I shot a Glock vs my SR1911 Rugers. I picked up some .45 cal brass this week end and it had similar marks but the guy next to me was shooting a stryker fired pistol. I could be wrong tho.

Tommy

5. gunslinger669

gunslinger669 Active Member

Glocks use rectangular firing pins. Most LEOs carry Glock 40s.

6. silveradoman59

silveradoman59 Member

I had a question on another forum about some 40 s&w's. I was told they were fired by a Glock. This info was given based on the firing pin indent that looked exactly like those. I'd say they were fired from a Glock. Just an uneducated guess.

7. DoubleR

DoubleR Active Member

I agree. Those look like a clock firing pin mark. Have a few glocks. That's what the firing pin primer mark looks like.